Author Topic: New Puppy Irish Wolfhound/English Mastiff  (Read 4337 times)

Offline rhiannon_brooks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Puppy Irish Wolfhound/English Mastiff
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:47:21 am »
My boyfriend and I just purchased our first dog together. He is 1/2 English Mastiff and 1/2 Irish Wolfhound. Both parents are AKC registered. We get to pick him up on the 14th of May and I am very very excited! But I have not raised a baby this large before, I'm just asking for any advice you all have to give on food, beds, toys, etc. He is the most handsome "Little" man ever.

Offline BOBI

• Gnawer
  • I'M NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: New Puppy Irish Wolfhound/English Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:59:39 am »
wow! bet thats a unique lookin dog. eukanuba/iams for large breeds i like. can't wait to see pictures! and congrats.
am posting a picture of my wolfie i had "radar". he has gona to happy hunting places now, but he was a character and half!
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING....    "HOLY CRAP, WHAT A RIDE..."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:49:04 pm »
How excited you must be to be pick up for your giant breed soon! You are going to be in heaven when he gets to be full grown because nothing is better than a big ol' doggie! As for food I would suggest Solid Gold puppy formula. Its what we use and we are so happy with its benefits healthwise. Also, I would start your baby on some joint supplements (COnsiquin DS & Ester C) early as a preventative measure for any problems since they grow so quickly. Can't wait to see pics of him!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 11:22:06 pm »
I agree with Jamie, that it is important to start them off with supplements.Wh en it comes to the food, there are a lot of good brands I think. But I would be careful with how much protein you give him, and also keep an eye on how fast he is growing, so you can adjust the feeding a little.

Beds hehe, well I am sure your bed is a real nice place he will soon find lol... But if you dont want him in the bed (they do tend to hog the blanket) get something you can zip off and wash.

Toys, my babies here love the rope toys, and kongs of course. Try to keep him away from too small toys, that can get stuck in his throat, or down into his stomach and then no further. I like the Nylabones, and for a puppy with those teeth, that is a real good way to go, since they dont splinter at all.

Good Luck with your new baby, and it would be so much fun to see pics of him

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog