Author Topic: Need Input on Letter  (Read 13319 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Need Input on Letter
« on: September 22, 2005, 05:59:24 am »
Here is the letter:

September 21, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

The riding of dogs is currently being promoted by certain people, most notably on a website: http://www.dogriderssociety.com, owned by Mr. Tim Veldboom of (unknown town to be filled in),Wisconsin, although there are others.  This website promotes the riding of dogs by children, by posting photographs, videotape clippings, and written stories about these rides.  There are webpages with collections of these, in addition to one about “Teaching a Kid to Ride a Dog.”  Despite the recommendation found on the website that a dog can carry only 20% of its own weight, there are videotape clippings and photographs of large, older children appearing to weigh well over 40 lbs. riding small dogs.  In particular, the videotapes of the pit bulls and the young Great Dane show children riding dogs when they are far too large for their dogs.  Despite the recommendation, the presence of such pictures and videotape clippings on the website can only be taken as approval.
   This, if permitted to occur more than once or twice, could conceivably cause serious damage to these dogs or, even worse, the children.  The Great Dane, for example, shown in the videotapes, does not even appear to have finished growing; if this is the case, his bones could be severely damaged by the trauma of carrying a girl upon his back.  He is also quite nervous and appears to be afraid, a situation in which dogs have been known to bite in self-defense.  Even mature dogs should not have a significant amount of weight placed upon them for any length of time, excepting a properly fitted backpack. (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1661&S=1&SourceID=47)
   Such actions may even constitute abuse, in the sense of using something contrary to its intended use, as dogs’ basic structure is unsuitable to bear weight.  They differ from animals capable of bearing weight, such as horses, in that their lumbosacral joint is quite flexible and even their backs flex when running, whereas horses have a much less flexible joint that allows far the back to flex far less. [Susan E. Harris, Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement (New York, New York: Howell Book House, 2003): pp. 23-24]  Thus, the practice of riding dogs may result in injury to the animal’s spine.
   This practice needs to be discouraged and spoken against, particularly by those people who have greater authority in the eyes of pet owners.  Veterinarians, in particular, have the obligation to inform their clients of the dangers of such practices.  It is my hope that they do, and that neither dogs nor children are injured as a result of this website and similar ones.

Sincerely,

Sofia Arango of Mission, Texas

Any suggestions to improve the content or polish the expression of this letter would be appreciated.  If you would like to add your name to this letter or copy it to give to vets or trainers, that would also be appreciated.

Sofia

(Edited to change one word in the letter.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:17:13 am by Good Hope »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Need Input on Letter
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 06:02:11 am »
Wow! I think it's excellent. Very professional.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:53 am »
Sounds good!...You can add my name if you wish...Do you wnat that info. here or in a p.m.?

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:19:51 am »
Gypsy, you are welcome to post it here or p.m. us, whichever you prefer.

Sofia

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:37:06 am »
bump, let's try to keep this fresh to receive lots of input and signatures

Deena

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:44:29 pm »
Come on... only 3 people with input or signature? Please pm if you would like to have your name and town added to letter we are send out. Please send this letter to your local vets. We need to make as much noise as possible for this to get any attention. No sense in ranting or raving about something you think is a problem if you are not willing to do something about it.

Deena

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 09:33:41 pm »
Well like we said before we're done with Tim's website topic We're still friends but we no longer belong to his group or website
        DFTHYFBT&E
                            Love & Licks
                                                Legends & Brat

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:12:31 pm »
Yes, everyone here is very happy that you have made the decision to leave the group and join us here. You have alot to share with us. I respectfully understand your position. However, this is NOT personal, not about flaming your friend, nor will this topic disappear because you are finished with it. This letter is about educating the Veternarians and general public about the foolishness and potentially deliterious effects of such ignorant behavior.  Even if this letter continues to receive little attention in this forum, I will take it elsewhere. I am always amazed at how people are willing to rant, rave and talk big, but when it comes to trying to make a productive change when a negative situation presents itself, they walk away. I guess that is human nature, but it also speaks volumes for personal integrity.

As I said, I will keep bumping this letter until Monday in an attempt to obtain more signatures and a commitment from those to fax a copy of the letter to their local vets. I will try to get this sent to as many Vets, and local ASCPAs, etc. as possible.

Deena

P.S. I hope you enjoy this wonderful site created by Bear and Jabear, and are here for the long haul.`
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 03:20:30 am by Good Hope »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:03:12 pm »
Would you mind if I post it to Newf-l, the Newfoundland health site on Yahoo? 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 11:11:01 pm »
Please do post it.  We'd like as many people to see it as possible; we're also trying to get signatures.  You are free to post it to other sites, give it to veterinarians, etc.

If anyone is willing to add their name (and town if possible) to the letter, please pm us. 

Thanks.

Sofia

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 12:21:40 am »
Good Hope...
I understand completely I wish I could be more help than I am but you know how difficult it is when "you're stuck in the middle" I wish you the best of luck & hope the best comes out of this...I love this site...
         DFTHYFBT&E
                             Love
                                     Legends

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 02:19:12 am »
Please do post it.  We'd like as many people to see it as possible; we're also trying to get signatures.  You are free to post it to other sites, give it to veterinarians, etc.

If anyone is willing to add their name (and town if possible) to the letter, please pm us. 

Thanks.

Sofia
C'mon BPo people!...There's strength in numbers! :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 11:21:17 am »
This is the first I have seen of this thread, and it was on the bottom of the page.

I pm'd you.

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 11:40:31 am »
Well I just found out that since I'm a member of this site the Tim is saying I'm a backstabber etc so I know now that his friendship was never true so now I'm not stuck in the middle I will contact the proper authorities here in my hometown about his site it's not revenge at no means I'm going to check into what he has on his site with the local authorities, vets etc to see how much harm these dogs are being dragged thru....I love all animals and will protect them any way shape or form....
                                                    Legends

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 12:11:20 pm »
Well I just found out that since I'm a member of this site the Tim is saying I'm a backstabber etc so I know now that his friendship was never true so now I'm not stuck in the middle I will contact the proper authorities here in my hometown about his site it's not revenge at no means I'm going to check into what he has on his site with the local authorities, vets etc to see how much harm these dogs are being dragged thru....I love all animals and will protect them any way shape or form....
                                                    Legends

I'm sorry that happened to you Legends...I truley am. :( Rest assured you are among friends here! ;D