Author Topic: Need Input on Letter  (Read 13322 times)

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
Re: Need Input on Letter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 12:27:23 pm »
GYPSY JAZMINE ,
     Thank You so much..Life is never fair but with me I give you one chance and one only Tim blew that chance which is really no loss to me now he's just got to explain to people why he is the way he is and why he still builds that site.....
     I know I'm amoung friends here & I'm so happy I became a member.....Lov e you all bunches....... .....
          DFTHYFBT&E
                              Love
                                          Legends

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Great letter! Very well written.  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 01:52:16 pm »
GYPSY JAZMINE ,
     Thank You so much..Life is never fair but with me I give you one chance and one only Tim blew that chance which is really no loss to me now he's just got to explain to people why he is the way he is and why he still builds that site.....
     I know I'm amoung friends here & I'm so happy I became a member.....Lov e you all bunches....... .....
          DFTHYFBT&E
                              Love
                                          Legends

Yw legends...It makes me feel very good that you joined us & kept an open mind to the concern we have for the dogs...I really am glad that you are her with us. :)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 02:30:34 pm »
Legends,
We are glad you are here!  ;D  I am sorry Tim based his friendship with you on your loyalty to his website instead of to him.   :-[  His loss is our gain!
I am kind of a big deal!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 01:11:38 am »
BUMP...Lets get some names here so Sophia can add them to her letter...Then we can all print it out & take it to vets in our own areas. :)

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 01:26:40 am »
Here is the letter:

September 21, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

The riding of dogs is currently being promoted by certain people, most notably on a website: http://www.dogriderssociety.com, owned by Mr. Tim Veldboom of (unknown town to be filled in),Wisconsin, although there are others.  This website promotes the riding of dogs by children, by posting photographs, videotape clippings, and written stories about these rides.  There are webpages with collections of these, in addition to one about “Teaching a Kid to Ride a Dog.”  Despite the recommendation found on the website that a dog can carry only 20% of its own weight, there are videotape clippings and photographs of large, older children appearing to weigh well over 40 lbs. riding small dogs.  In particular, the videotapes of the pit bulls and the young Great Dane show children riding dogs when they are far too large for their dogs.  Despite the recommendation, the presence of such pictures and videotape clippings on the website can only be taken as approval.
   This, if permitted to occur more than once or twice, could conceivably cause serious damage to these dogs or, even worse, the children.  The Great Dane, for example, shown in the videotapes, does not even appear to have finished growing; if this is the case, his bones could be severely damaged by the trauma of carrying a girl upon his back.  He is also quite nervous and appears to be afraid, a situation in which dogs have been known to bite in self-defense.  Even mature dogs should not have a significant amount of weight placed upon them for any length of time, excepting a properly fitted backpack. (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1661&S=1&SourceID=47)
   Such actions may even constitute abuse, in the sense of using something contrary to its intended use, as dogs’ basic structure is unsuitable to bear weight.  They differ from animals capable of bearing weight, such as horses, in that their lumbosacral joint is quite flexible and even their backs flex when running, whereas horses have a much less flexible joint that allows far the back to flex far less. [Susan E. Harris, Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement (New York, New York: Howell Book House, 2003): pp. 23-24]  Thus, the practice of riding dogs may result in injury to the animal’s spine.
   This practice needs to be discouraged and spoken against, particularly by those people who have greater authority in the eyes of pet owners.  Veterinarians, in particular, have the obligation to inform their clients of the dangers of such practices.  It is my hope that they do, and that neither dogs nor children are injured as a result of this website and similar ones.

Sincerely,

Sofia Arango of Mission, Texas

Any suggestions to improve the content or polish the expression of this letter would be appreciated.  If you would like to add your name to this letter or copy it to give to vets or trainers, that would also be appreciated.

Sofia

(Edited to change one word in the letter.)

Please feel free to add my signature - Tom Andrews, Mobile, AL.  I am also going to forward this link to a couple of friends of mine who are with the SPCA and Local Friends of the Animal shelter , so that they can gt the word out.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 01:27:25 am »
Ty Tom! :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 02:05:38 am »
I just sent a PM.  Please add us to the letter.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 02:13:56 am »
Count me in - PM sent!!!

henrysmomma

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005, 02:22:04 am »
Add my name too ;D  Rose Bouffard, Vancouver, British Columbia, canada

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005, 02:50:38 am »
Thanks guys! :)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 03:34:33 am »
Oh yeah!  I almost forgot...pleas e add me as well!
Stacey Couch  Las Vegas, NV
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 03:53:34 am »
Hello! Please add my name to the letter as well

Maria Alvarado  Lafayette, Indiana

Offline damar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 07:38:20 am »
Well I just found out that since I'm a member of this site the Tim is saying I'm a backstabber etc so I know now that his friendship was never true so now I'm not stuck in the middle I will contact the proper authorities here in my hometown about his site it's not revenge at no means I'm going to check into what he has on his site with the local authorities, vets etc to see how much harm these dogs are being dragged thru....I love all animals and will protect them any way shape or form....
                                                    Legends

I don't mean to provoke an argument here, and rarely post although I do read many of the things written and this thread has really bothered me becasue I wonder how true of a friend you are if you can turn from defending this Tim fellow to turning him in when the going gets rough? It seems to me that it is indeed revenge for your hurt feelings and nothing more. I would caution all BPO members to refrain from embracing you until your motives are fully seen. BPO members are kind, loving and faithful people who truly care about one another and will stand next to them when the going get tough. I am not sure you are made of that kind of material Legends.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:43:08 am by damar »

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 07:48:44 am »
Damar,

When Legends first posted here I was the first one to fire off a rather nto so nice comeback.  But as she stated in another post, what she heard about us was entirely different than what we really were.  She saw how much we loved our dogs and that their best interests were at heart and decided that she wanted to be in a group like this.  She also repeate3dly said that she didn't want to take sides, tht she wouldn't have anything to do with the letter or saying anything bad about the other website.  When Tim found out that she was a member here he's the one who turned on her.  I would have to say if one of my friends did something like that to me I would be immensely hurt.  Also, she said she's going to see what's legal and what harm if any is being done to the dogs.  I don't see that as suspicious.  And I'm a VERY suspicious person :)

Ang

Edited to add, one day I will learn to type  ::)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."