Author Topic: Rocky's turn for your prayers and good thoughts.  (Read 21004 times)

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Rocky's turn for your prayers and good thoughts.
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:05:19 am »
I am heartbroken. I did a really stupid thing and although I deserve it please don't yell- I'm mad enough at myself. I'm starting this thread mostly to educate because I made a big mistake.  Monday night sometime during the night Rocky found a baggie w/ Ibuprophen in it and ate some. I wasn't sure how much was in there but I didn't think it was that much. He seemed ok and I knew that if a human took what I thought he might have gotten (8-10 200mg tabs) that they would be ok. Well last night he urinated 2 times in our room (he never pees in the house) and he was soooo thirsty. He had 2 more accidents so when I came home from work I thought maybe he had a bladder infection(forgetting about him eating the IB) Well after I talked the vet into letting my dad pick up an antibiotic for me tomorrow and I started to remember -- To make a long story short. Rocky is in an emergency hospital for IV fluids and monitoring. His kidney values were elevated. I had called the Pet Poison hotline for help. This may cost up to $2000 and money is not the issue, my stupidity for waiting has cost much more. The vet thinks that the damage should reverse itself but I wanted to warn everyone how dangerous ibuprophen is to pets, they can't metabolize it like humans. (long term abuse in humans does cause damage also)  Please pray for Rocky :'(

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Rocky's turn for your prayers and good thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:07:42 am »
Oh no!  I'm so sorry to hear about Rocky!  We're sending good thoughts and prayers your way! 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 11:13:05 am »
I am sending prayers for Rocky!...I hope so much that he'll be o.k....Don't be too hard on yourself...You are not the first person that found out the hard way the dangers of Ibupropen with dogs....The only thing that is safe for a dog where that sort of thing is concerned is children's asprin. (correct me if I'm wrong people) Please please let us know how Rocky is as soon as you know more.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 11:13:39 am »
Oh no! Poor Rocky. I hope that he gets well soon  :-\
RIP former BPO

smohr

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
 :(  Prayers and thoughts will be sent your and Rocky's way.  Please don't beat yourself up - it was a mistake but not done on purpose. 

Look how much you love him, enough to post this and warn others too.  I hadn't heard about ib being bad for dogs either.  It could have been one of us writing this instead of you.   

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:32:07 am »
Poor Rocky! It is great to hear that the damage can be reversed though. This mistake could happen to anyone so please don't beat yourself up.

If it makes you feel better- I did something totally stupid the other night too. When Nicks & I went out to "work" I put the key to the house in my food pouch since I had no pockets. Well, I forgot about the key and at dinner time emptied the bag of treats into Bear's food. About 3 minutes later he was throwing up all of his food and I didn't know why...until I saw the key in the middle of the puke. Luckily he got it out but I was so mad at myself for being so dumb!  ::)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:32:57 am »
I doubt that any one of us haven't second guessed ourselves a time or two for some inadvertant action, or inaction, that has caused our babies to become ill. Hang in there, and we'll say a prayer for Rocky and you too.
Stella

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 01:32:56 pm »
Rocky & family
   You are in our Heart, Thoughts & Prayers during this time...Get Better Soon Rocky.....We Love You       DFTHYFBT&E
                                                         Love & Licks
                                                                  Legends & Brat

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 01:35:44 pm »
Sending out good thoughts for Rocky!!!!  Don't blame yourself, it could happen to any of us!  I am glad Rocky is getting the care and treatment he needs and that he has a mommy that cares about him so much!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 01:58:30 pm »
Our prayers are with you Rock
C'mon, let's kick some butt!
Get well and drive your Mommy CRAZY!
Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 01:59:08 pm »
Awww...I am so sorry to hear about  rocky..I hope everything goes ok

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:02:06 pm »
Oh No!!  I'm sooo sorry to hear about poor Rocky!  I will say prayers that his kidneys do recover and all is well...please post updates!  Please don't beat yourself up.... & don't be too hard on your self.  We all do things that we regret..... 

I left a bottle of Rimadyl on the counter and Miko (Rainbow Bridge '04) counter surf'd and got it & ate the cap off & half of the tablets in the bottle (it was the chewable kind)....luckily I discovered what had happened very soon afterward, called the vet for advice & was told to give him Peroxide - teaspoon by teaspoon until he threw up the stuff and had nothing left in his poor tummy to vomit...then watch closely....I had to dose Chessie, Dona (Rainbow Bridge '05) & Miko with the stuff 'cause I wasn't sure if they, too, had gotten into it after Miko broke the bottle open....it was NOT fun cleaning up after them!!!  It was NOT fun being scared to death that I was going to loose all 3 animals because of being careless!!  Miko was the only one with the med in his vomit.....poor Dona threw up so much that she had to get IV fluids.  Chessie threw up so much that he tore the mucosal lining of his esophagus and had bloody emesis for several days & had to take sucralfate antacid.  Miko's labs were watched VERY carefully (Rimadyl can be toxic in Labs - my sister's lab died after taking it - but it is not always toxic - your vet needs to monitor the animal & their labs closely to make sure it's not harming them).....

....we all do things we regret....I'll be praying for you & Rocky!!
-Laurie

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 06:08:27 pm »
Laurie,
I read about what happened to Miko in an old thread yesterday when I was trying to find out if the IB caused a problem and it was one of the things that led me in the right direction.  Thats why this place is so great!!
Everyone - thanks for your prayers. I just called and he had a quiet night, won't eat or drink right now but he's getting iv's. they will do labs at 10am to see how it's going.

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 08:35:17 pm »
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Rocky for a fast recovery. Please don't be hard on yourself it was an accident. It could have happened to anyone anytime.  ;)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 08:47:39 pm »

Keeping you and Rocky in thoughts and prayers.

That is an awfully hard way to learn about meds and doggies, but don't beat yourself up.

We all have to learn.

Hug to you both.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.