Author Topic: newf pup in houston - needs home  (Read 3443 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: newf pup in houston - needs home
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 10:28:34 am »
Before I begin to help this baby girl out with Newf Rescue I have to ask- WHY would someone give up their dog for a hurricane evacuation? Grrr....... >:(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:38:13 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Blair

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:51:55 am »
Poor little girl!!! I went through h*ll and back to make sure my boys came with me when we got evacuated, I guess not everyone feels the way i do about my dogs! Im tempted to drive up there and go get her, poor baby  :(

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 11:26:25 am »
hmm, I thought they were always waiting longer with these dogs to give the owners a chance to find their dogs.  Wonder what happened?
Peggy

Offline Fly-Fast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 12:03:29 pm »
Hrm, I wonder if the wifey will let me have her.   ::)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 03:21:27 am »
I feel the same - I would never give up my babies.  I would stay if I couldn't take them.  I thought it was weird that this pup was a rita evacuee.  Seems like we shouldn't be seeing this babies yet because the owner may come back.  Maybe it is a mistake and they meant a Katrina evacuee....

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 06:04:23 am »
It could be the family's home was destroyed in the hurricane and they do not know when they will be able to obtain permanent housing. It's doubtful they will find a hotel or rental property that will allow a giant breed dog so they may be trying to do what's best for her by asking this rescue organization to find her a good home.

Maybe "hurricane evacuee" isn't a completely accurate term. I doubt they would be trying to find permanent homes for "found" dogs from the hurricane just yet. It's more likely this is an owner release due to hurricane circumstances.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 06:21:51 am »
hmm, I thought they were always waiting longer with these dogs to give the owners a chance to find their dogs.  Wonder what happened?

Seeing as I'm hearing stories of mass euthanasia and they are sending tons of dogs over here to the west coast, I don't think they are waiting very long for anything.  Many dogs were left tied to houses because their owners foolishly thought they wouldn't be gone very long and that was the only way to keep them there.  Many of these dogs starved or strangled themselves on their tie-downs.  Sad stuff.  But I think that at least organizations are trying to find good homes for these dogs rather than euthanizing them because their owners took too long to find them.  Many of these dogs are going to live better lives with their new owners, the hurricane may have been the best thing that ever happened to them.  Imagine, a dog is abused, neglected and underfed for years by it's owners.  Katrina comes, the dog is left behind and is later rescued.  Now it lives in Marin County with it's new rich owners, sleeps on silk pillows, gets lots of love and exercise, eats Kibble mixed with Filet Mignon and drinks bottled water every day.  Wouldn't that be great?  It COULD happen......   ;D ;D ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.