Author Topic: Torn ACL (again?)  (Read 2780 times)

Offline woody0228

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Torn ACL (again?)
« on: September 24, 2005, 11:23:24 pm »
Hi All,

Our almost 4 yr old "daneiac"had previous surgeries on both kness for ruptured ACL, last one was back in March.  Now he seems to be favoring his right leg again (ugh!), we're going to have him checked (xrays) this week.  Now, I know that once they mess one kneee up, the other kness will follow, was told that it's inevitable.  What I'm wondering now is, could he have done it again?
He mostly just walks and only runs around a bit in the yard when he's doing his "crazy laps".  I hope that we don't have to go through another surgery/recovery.  His last one didn't heal well and he ended up staying with the vet for over a week - it tortured us & him  :'(.  Then, of course, there's the infamous "bucket" (i.e. elizabethan collar), oy vey?   :o
Any thoughts from your experiences?
Thanks,
Pete n Amy n of course "Luke"

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
Re: Torn ACL (again?)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 03:20:00 am »
What type of surgery did they do ? 

I have three Rottweilers. One is a horse at over 150 lbs and he has NO PROBLEMS at all. My female is only 89 lbs and she has bad ACLs both legs.  I had TPLO surgery done on one leg @ $3000 and I'm not happy at all. She walks but still isn't what I would expect. The vet said to do one leg at a time so she would have three good ones to stand on. Her other back leg has arthritis and she willl always hobble around even with the surgery so I'm thinking of just doing the sutures on her other leg.  I chose the TPLO first because I was told she would be as good as new. I'm not happy at all.

In all fairness I guess I should say I never took her in for the psysical therapy. I have worked her here at home the best I could but they wanted a extra $800 for psysical therapy and I think that was a ripp off.  Another surgeon in my area included that in his cost of the $3000
So many rescues, so little time !

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 04:01:00 am »
Niki had the same problem and I had the $3,000 surgery.  She tore her ligament while just running very hard.  She does fine but sits a little funny.  She was running again and tore the other one and I just could not bear putting her through the pain of that operation again, so I kept her quiet for awhile and several months later she stopped favoring her leg.  She is close to 10 and fine now with no signs of arthritis.  She is a rottweiler mix.   
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:17:58 am »
I changed my avatar to show you how she now sits.  She has done that since her first surgery but it has never bothered her. And, like I say, no arthritis or limping after her second tear. 
Peggy

Offline Porsha

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Pet Arthritis and Degenerative Joint Disease
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 11:47:33 pm »
I read your posting and wanted to let you know that there is a great all natural supplement available that is very beneficial to large breeds. Syn Flex, liquid glucosamine complex is what I call a miracle in a bottle. One of my dogs, Porsha, 120# labx developed knee stifle a couple of years ago, my vet recommended knee surgery but I could not afford it. I discovered Syn Flex and she improved in less than 10 days. She has been on it ever since.  you can visit www.activexame rica.com/cgi-bin/at.cgi/281895/pets to get more information on this amazing product.  I highly endorse it for maintenance and to reduce pain and inflammation. It's all natural ingredients so there are no dangerous side effects like there are with NSAIDS.

Good luck to you and your rotties.  Cheers from Porsha in Canada ;)