Author Topic: Paw Problem  (Read 6480 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Paw Problem
« on: October 02, 2005, 09:02:45 pm »
I've been having some problems with Lily's feet.  The littlest thing is making them split.  It looks as though someone tried to make her an outdoor dog.  Her feet are in bad shape.  I've been treating the splits as they happen, but is there anything I can do to soften her pads to prevent the splitting from occuring to begin with?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to make her comfortable.  Thanks.

Melissa
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

GR8DAME

Re: Paw Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 09:12:26 pm »
Try some Bag Balm. It's a ointment that they originally used on cow's udders, but you can use it on dogs, and people too for that matter.
You can get it at most larger drug store chains. It comes in a square green tin. Just be careful that you don't soften her pads up too much or she'll end up with sore feet anyway.
Stella

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:18:19 pm »
I actually have some bag balm.  I'll try that.  I don't want them to be too soft,  I just feel bad that they are so sore and cracked.  It feels like the roughest grit sanpaper you can get.  My poor baby. :'(

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 09:37:51 pm »
When I first got Raven, the previous idiots kept her in a wire crate with no pan on the bottom so her pads were like raw meat from being on the bare wire for hours and hours. The Bag Balm helped get them get healed up and she never got an infection, which surprised the heck out of me since she was so malnurished and immunosupresse d as well. I hope it helps Lily as well.
Stella

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:06:18 pm »

Dogs are NOT supposed to have smooth pads.

Their pads are their grippers, they are rough for traction!

Many pads will appear to have deep cracks. IF the dog is not lame, leave them alone!!

If you soften them too much you may cause other problems.

If you feel you need something for her pads, there is a product called PAD TOUGH.

I would NOT use anything to try to soften the pads unless it was under the advice of your vet.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:20:36 am »
I didn't want them super soft, but they have bleeding cracks and that is NOT normal.  I have owned dogs before, so I know that their paws aren't supposed to be soft and smooth.  I just wanted to make it so that when she went outside for a walk she didn't come back in with bleeding pads.  And she is limping so I know it's hurting her.  I don't mean to be rude, but you could have said that a lot nicer than you did.

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 02:00:35 am »

I guess I left out some key emoticons.

:D

The poor girl, sore feet are a terrible thing.

What do you feed her?

I have really never heard of a dog with bleeding cracks in it's paws, I hope she is better soon, poor thing.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 02:27:47 am »
I think Red was just trying to be emphatic about her message, not rude. Lilysmom - you're kinda new here, right? You'll quickly learn that Red is our resident expert on health and behavioral issues. She is a godsend! I didn't know the pads were supposed to be rough, either, but I guess that makes sense.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 02:37:58 am »
My parents have an "anatolian shepard" mix that they adopted (we really have no idea what she is  :) ).  Her poor little feet are all pink and they crack and bleed when it is dry or snowy or when she runs around too much.  We haven't been super successful at fixing the problem, but neosporin and a sock helps to heal the crack.  My mom sometimes rubs lotion (like for her own feet) on her paws to help with the dryness.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 03:34:57 am »
Poor puppy. Have you talked to your vet about it? I can;t even imagine how much pain she must be in if they are bleeding. I hope that putting the stuff on her pads will ease her pain.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 05:20:49 am »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  And Red, I can be a little over sensitive sometimes and I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.  Forgive me. :-[ 

I talked to the vet and she suggested the neosporin or the bacitracin to keep infection out, but not to put anything else.  The tricky thing is keeping the sock or bandage on her.  She thinks it's a game. lol.  No E collar for her though.  I don't think she'd be able to take it.

Red, you asked what I was feeding her.  When I picked her up, they were feeding her Ol Roy.  I was horrified, but it is a shelter.  I switched her to the large breed iams and I've been reading up on the BARF diet.  I don't know if she'd be ok on it though since she's never been on a raw diet.  I have to ask my vet about that one.  I have been mixing in a half can of wet food a day just to put some weight on her since she was so thin. 

Thanks again for everyones help.  Lily is going to be just fine. :)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 05:32:41 am »
When we have had a dog that won't tolerate a sock/bandage, we sneak and put the medicine on them.  When they are very sleepy, we rub the neosporin on and then have some nice ear scratches until they fall back asleep.  At least they have the medicine on for a little while!  :)

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 05:43:53 am »

1) Don't ask your vet about a raw food diet unless you are using a holistic vet. Do your own research, there is a mountain of info on the net.

2) If you are going to supplement her, at least use real food. Scrambled eggs. Cottage cheese. Canned fish like mackerel or salmon. Whole milk plain yoghurt, fresh ground meats, raw chicken gizzards, hearts, or livers are all excellent for putting on weight, she will love it, and it is good for her.

3) on keeping a sock on her foot: here is how: first, get vet wrap from your vet, and also get bitter apple or orange when you do. When you get ready to bandage her, you need 2 socks, and if it's wet outside, a ziplock baggie. If using the baggie, put it between the socks, and slip them on over the paw. Using the vet wrap, secure the sock above the paw. No bandaging or taping of the paw whatsoever, only the ankle above the paw. Careful not to wrap it too tightly either. Once you get it on, spray with the chewing deterrent spray. As soon as you are finished spraying the sock, spray a tiny bit on your finger, and wipe it in her mouth, as you tell her not to chew the sock. You only need to do this the first time or two, as she will already associate the scent with the bitter taste. Supervision to verbally correct her for paying any attention to the sock helps as well.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 07:38:12 am »
I kind of figured that I was going to get some grief from the vet.  But I don't know of any holistic vets here.  I'll have to look around.

As for the supplementing, I'll try your suggestions.  I give scrambled eggs to my other dog, but I didn't know how Lily would react to it. 

BTW, how do you know if your dog is anemic?