Author Topic: Frustated with neighbor  (Read 16195 times)

DakotaMom

Frustated with neighbor
« on: September 25, 2005, 09:43:09 am »
In the last couple of weeks we have gotten a new neighbor. I thought he was ok until I spoke with him about his puppy today. He has a 14 week old Lab puppy that is being tied in the yard when he leaves the house.

The problem started when he tied her out at 6:30 in the morning and she would scream. I work until 11:00 so you can imagine how happy that made me. Today while the puppy was out I noticed that she was wraped around the picnic table and could not move and she couldn't reach her water. I went over and got her and let her play with Dakota and Jade.

When he came home I told him what I had done. He said that he appreciated what I had done but would like it if I wouldn't do that any more. He said that she would learn not to tie herself up and not knock over her water. He said he had done this with horses, cows and dogs before and that she could go two days without water. I said that wouldn't be very nice and offered to help him with crate training. Of course he turned down my offer.

I was at a loss for words. I just couldn't believe he said those things. Here are a few pictures.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Frustated with neighbor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 09:50:53 am »
Maybe he is a control freak.
It sounds to me like he should have been appreciative for what you did. I would love to have a neighbor who would care enough about my dogs to look out for them and offer them some quality playtime.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 09:59:46 am »
He sounds like a jerk to me.

If someone told me they thought it was ok for their dog to go for two days without water I would probably call in an annonymous tip to the aspca or something, because that sounds pretty negligent to me.
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 10:01:46 am »

If someone told me they thought it was ok for their dog to go for two days without water I would probably call in an annonymous tip to the aspca or something, because that sounds pretty negligent to me.

I'm with you here Heather! What a terrible man to say such things. I doubt he would like to go 2 days without water.  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

DakotaMom

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 10:16:17 am »

I will be keeping a very close eye on the situation. The good news she is kept in the house when he is home.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 10:20:29 am »
Does the pup have any shelter when tied outside?...I don't know about there but the laws in Iowa read that the animal must have adequate food & shelter....Per haps a call to your local Humane Society or ASPCA might get his attention....M y sister has a neighbor like that but worse with their dog...Actually I should say dogs as they are on there 3rd in maybe 4 yrs...I have a good relationship with our Humane Society & after they visited them enough times they at least made some changes...Not enough in my book but some at least.

DakotaMom

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 10:32:30 am »
After talking to him I delt even better about leaving the steaming pile of puppy poo on his walk way to his back yard.

I just came back in from the other neighbors. He had a motorcycle for sale. A woman and her friends stopped by to take a look at it. When she was coming back to the house (Too fast I might add) she laid the bike down and hit my new car. The best part was that she wasn't hurt and she just glanced off the wheel. Now she has the option of buying a totaled bike or it will be reported to her insurance company.

I love my neighbors! >:(

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 10:49:02 am »
Just not your day, is it?   :P

DakotaMom

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 11:00:05 am »
The neighborhood is full of idiots today. There was an older gentleman walking by the yard. We are working on keeping the dogs calm when someone walks by but this guy snuck up on me. Jade was barking at the guy while standing with her front feet on the fence. The guy stopped and looked her in the eye. I told him that that was rude to stare a dog in the eyes like that. He just stood there until I asked him to please stop staring at my dog.

I think I'll have some wine and go to bed.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 11:11:09 am »
Where are you living, weirdoville? 

I can't believe that guy was looking your dog in the eye.  I would never stare a strange dog in the eye, they may take that as a challenge.

henrysmomma

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 11:29:54 am »
These people sound like my crazy neighborhood! I have neighbors upstairs. Everyday I go out and pick up the dog doo, all of it, whether it be my dogs or their dogs, , but one day i forgot ( the product of working seven days a week), next thing i know there's a bag  of dog  doo hanging on my door knob! Crazy people are taking over the planet, i swear. ::)

Blair

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 11:51:18 am »
Sorry you had a rough day with all your crazy neighbors  :-\ But I did love the pictures you got of the puppy playing.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 12:52:29 pm »
Yup you deserve that glass of wine.  Weird neighbors.  You know sometimes these things are very difficult and can escalate into all-out wars.  I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but it would be best to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.  Perhaps a neighborhood BBQ would fit the bill where you could have a good time and get to know everybody a little better.  The weirdos probably won't show so that would give you somebody to talk about (just kidding).  Anyway maybe even a neighborhood watch group could help.  Believe me, otherwise it will not get any better.  I have seen people get hurt over even more trivial things.  :-[

Peggy
Peggy

DakotaMom

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 11:02:23 pm »
My talk with the neighbor must have done some good. I see today the puppy is still outside but she is in a crate on the covered patio with water........Y EAH!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 11:44:48 pm »
i'm gonna thread jack but...

my downstairs neighbor won't stop complaing about 'noise'... cuz there's too much 'thumpin' around. so my landlord called on friday, and told me i better 'crate my dogs', then the neighbor told me i need to stop wearing 'flopping slippers' in the apt..

last i checked, i paid rent just like everyone else (and a friggin $400 'pet deposit'... i'm only 135#, i walk relatively normally, all the units have full hardwood floors. not sure what the lady is expecting from me? maybe i need to buy some pink bunny slippers?  ???