Author Topic: Missing Newfie in San Francisco East Bay Area  (Read 4504 times)

Offline bearsmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Missing Newfie in San Francisco East Bay Area
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:10:52 am »
My beautiful Lab/Newfoundland Mix, 7years old with long black hair with gray around the muzzle and in between his toes is missing.   :-[

Bear escaped from his fenced back-yard this afternoon (Sunday) around 12:30pm. He lives in Albany with his doggy girlfriend Lily, a terrier mix, who misses him tremendously (and her feet hurt from walking so much looking for him). He was spotted in Emeryville and I went on a wild dog chase around Emeryville following the sightings. It's been seven hours now and it's been a hot day, so if you see him please get him somewhere inescapable and give him some water. Then call me at 510-508-9566.

Please help me get Mr. Bear home from his big adventure.
Carissa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Newfie in San Francisco East Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:12:28 am »
I hope you find Bear very soon.  We will say a prayer for his safe return.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 11:13:06 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of his escape.

You will be in my prayers until he is found.  Hopefully it will be soon.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:48:05 am »
I'm sending out prayers for Bear's safe return & for your serinity until then...Will you please keep us updated?...Ty!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 12:14:24 pm »
Many of us, myself included, have had that happen.  Our prayers are out for you and Bear.  God speed.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline bearsmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »
I found my boy 10 miles from home! very tired, very thirsty and having worn down a good deal of his pads and toenails (a lot can happen in 9 hours).  He is home and safe, watered and cleaned up as much as I can clean him up myself.  I appreciate everyone's well-wishes, they have really helped me.  He'll get a good night's sleep tonight and be off to the vet - his favorite place - in the morning.  Thanks to everyone who sent their positive energy and thoughts my way!!!

Carissa

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 03:16:57 pm »
I am so you found him.... :D

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:10:27 pm »
I truly believe we here work as a team.  Thank God, all is well.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 08:54:12 pm »
Carisssa,  Give that boy a big hug from all of us. I bet he knows now there is "no place like home".  Good luck at the vet today.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 09:02:46 pm »
I'm so happy he's home safe!!...Please stick around here...As you can probably tell, we LOVE big dogs! ;D

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 04:46:45 am »
I Love Happy Endings!
And much loved wiggle butts.
Glad you found your Big Baby.
John and Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 04:54:56 am »
Glad you found Bear, must be a relief!  How did you end up getting him back?  I'm interested in hearing the reunion story.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 09:14:11 am »
Oh, I'm so glad you found him safe and sound. 

Whew!!  That is a load off my chest.  8)

Offline bearsmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 11:41:24 pm »
Here's the reunion story for those who were curious:

After walking around the neighborhood for an hour with my little girl dog, Lily, I went home to start calling shelters and animal services and heard from the Berkeley shelter that a big black long-haired dog was spotted on the freeway headed toward Emeryville (my heart just about gave out at that point and I started thinking the worst).  Another sighting moments later led me to Borders Books in Emeryville (I had no idea Bear was an intellectual).  So I immediately drove out to Emeryville with Lily and started my foot patrol out there.  After two hours of searching to no avail Lily laid in the grass and would not budge.  I started calling non-emergency lines from El Cerrito to Oakland thinking that increasing my number of eyes would help me find him.  When Lily finally allowed me to drag her back to the car I drove around for another hour or so and gave up.  I went back home to print out flyers (of course that was the day my printer decided to die, but luckily I had my old inkjet printer that my sister had run laser paper through - it still prints, but it looks bad).  SO my second trip to Emeryville entailed putting up posters and talking to everyone I saw.  At about 7 o'clock I realized I was starving and needed to feed Lily as well - I ate McDonald's because I was afraid if I cooked I'd have to leave it if I got a call.  It was the best McDonald's I ever ate I was so hungry.  I had given up on the search by then.  At 9 o'clock I get a call from Emeryville dispatch asking if I'm still looking for my dog - they had a big black fluffy dog cornered in a corporate park on Hollis and 59th.  An angel of a woman, Brenda of San Francisco, had seen him trying to cross San Pablo Avenue, which if you know the area you know that it's the busiest street for a black dog to try to cross at night.  This beautiful angel followed him and since she was in white (how fitting!) she stopped cars and helped him get across safely.  She followed him some more and along the way stopped a police officer who had heard the bulletin about Bear being at-large.  So my third trip to Emeryville was successful!  He was so happy and extremely thirsty.  I feel so blessed that everyone in the big dog scommunity here prayed for Bear's safe return - he was sent an angel to help him get home.  Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and paryers.  Bear is doing well and made it around four blocks yesterday - his feet are still sore... but he'll heal.  And hopefully he'll never do this again.  But if he does, at least I've got him micro-chipped now... 

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 12:11:21 am »
An angel of a woman, Brenda of San Francisco, had seen him trying to cross San Pablo Avenue, which if you know the area you know that it's the busiest street for a black dog to try to cross at night.

Wow, what an ordeal!  Yes I know all about San Pablo Ave.  I was doing a transfer for work about 5 months ago and I had to go over there.  On my way back I saw a beautiful German Shepard laying dead in the road on San Pable Ave.  It broke my heart and my whole day was ruined after that.  Glad Bear's adventure had a better ending.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.