Author Topic: Dog Fur Sweater  (Read 17029 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Fur Sweater
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 09:33:52 am »
I've been saving Keiko's hair for quite some time now.  Since she rarely gets brushed (just seems to make it worse), I don't have alot saved, just a grocery bag full.  I plan on having it made into a scarf and hat.  I don't like wool sweaters, so I doubt I would like a dog hair sweater.   :P

I will have to remember that website mentioned.

Blair

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 11:14:06 am »
I would love to do that, but none of my boys have long hair or even soft hair LOL

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 10:30:59 pm »
OMG!! I so want to do that!  From now on I'm saving Mojo's fur especially.  I'll also start bags for Faust, Zeo and Kida.  I just love the teddy bears!  I actually did save a couple bits of fur from my Zephyr & Tika angels.  Because of the Old Dog in a Locket poem, I was going to make some type of ornament and save the pieces inside it.  I wonder if I have enough to be able to make one of the little keychains or hearts? 

If you've never read the Locket poem, here it is. 

OLD DOG IN A LOCKET

Old dog in a locket That lies next to my heart
I will always love you As I did right from the start

You were right beside me Through the darkest of my days
It was your kind and gentle nature That made me want to stay

Now I hold you in my arms Your breath still warm against my hand
Our hearts still beat together And I wonder if you understand

Through the hours that I held you Before the light did leave your soul
I knew a way to keep you Forever in my hold

I snipped the hair from around your eyes So I would always see
The beauty that surrounds me Even in times of need

I snipped the hair from around your ears So I would always hear
Music in the distance To quiet any fears

I snipped the hair from across your back
To bring me strength in time of need
And the power of your essence Would always be with me

I snipped the hair from around your heart That beat in time with mine
So I would know that love would find me At some distant time

And so, your life slipped out of mine On a quiet spring like day
But I knew that a part of you Old dog in a locket
That lays next to my heart I will always love you
Even though we had to part

--- Author unknown ---
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 11:21:51 pm »
I don't have alot saved, just a grocery bag full.  I plan on having it made into a scarf and hat.  I don't like wool sweaters, so I doubt I would like a dog hair sweater.   :P

I will have to remember that website mentioned.

Here it is, might be worth putting on your Favorites list/bookmarking or just printing up the home page for filing away:

http://www.vipfibers.com/

I think a hat or scarf might be in order since I don't wear a lot of sweaters.  Maybe after this winter I will have enough for a blanket.  We're going to tell our groomer to collect his fur after clipping him, they will probably think we are weird but it will be nice and extra clean.  It is worth sending cleaner fur because they charge to clean dirty stuff. 

Moni, the poem you shared choked me up a bit.  Any writing about dying dogs or old dogs seems to do that to me, so I guess I'm a softie....  a real man cries when his dog dies.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 11:32:14 pm »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 11:36:36 pm »
no one thinks this is a LIL creepy?
I was at the fabric store on Sunday, and saw this yellow woolly thingie that looks like a deskinned Cody..

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2005, 11:51:09 pm »
no one thinks this is a LIL creepy?
I was at the fabric store on Sunday, and saw this yellow woolly thingie that looks like a deskinned Cody..

Is it any creepier than wearing a mink stole (sp?) or rabbit fur gloves or a coon skin hat?  Fur is fur, nature didn't necessarily designate specific animals to be worthy of being worn by humans.  Look at the rest of the world and the animals they use for food or clothes or medicines.  Thinking that using dog fur is weird seems like a typical American response.  All I know is that I brush a ton of fur off of Drake every day and it goes into the garbage or blows outside.  The perfect example for me that his fur would make a great yarn that is soft and warm is that this Spring I came across a bird nest that was near our front door and the mother bird had used a bunch of Drake's fur to build her nest.  Of all the things to build a nest with, she used Drakes fur.  Smart Bird!  Also I look at it this way, after Drake is gone, I will have something other than pictures, something physical, I can remember him by.  And that's my 2 cents....

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 11:56:16 pm »
It seems less creepy than wearing wool or fur from animals raised in barn conditions.  I mean comeon, our dogs have regular baths, etc.. they're pretty clean compared to livestock.  It would be funny if it had that doggy smell though :)

hey Newf Lover, I have a book on attracting birds to your back yard, and one of the tips was to put the dog hair you brush out into a suet feeder.. Never thought about it but seems like a good idea.  Little newfy nests throughout the yard.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:16 am »
Nah, I don't think its creepy.  I mean, if we were skinning them to make these things.. then YES I'd think it creepy.  However, they're just making yarn out of their fur, just like they make yarn out of sheep's wool and or cashmere goats.  :D

I personally love it, what a nice keepsake to have around long after our beloved furbabies leave us.   :'(
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 01:56:16 am »
Okay, I admit it. I started saving Jackie's fur last night.   ::)

Julie

As my great-grandmother who lived through the depression said, WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!!!  It will be so cool to have a Newf Fur hat to wear as I fly down the slopes in Lake Tahoe.  Oh god, I think something has started here.  It will be interesting to see the final products from all this doggy fur collecting.  More to come...

And Brandon, yeah I heard about that, putting dog fur out to attract birds.  It does work.  We still have a lot of birds around even though it's getting cold.  The hummingbirds are still fighting over the nectar I leave out like Crackheads fighting over a Crack rock and the bird seed feeder is cleaned out on a weekly basis by Sparrows and Jays.  Hungry little buggers!

Nicole

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 02:28:18 am »
I don't think its creepy! I had the same experience with a nest of Cabeza fur. EVERY SINGLE TIME I brush him a BOATLOAD of it comes off and flies all over the place. Newf Lover is right, may as well use it!

I think that Newf fur hat is super cool! I considered bidding on it! hahahahhaha!

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 09:15:04 am »
My mom use to do primitive dolls for her craft business. Anyway dad and mom had a Yorkie and when they would get her clipped for the summer mom would ask for her hair and use it for hair on the dolls. People loved it because it was a gray color mixed with blonde and very soft..
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 10:10:58 am »
  ??? Anyone know how to make a dane grow long hair??  LOL  ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 11:52:09 am »
Sooooo, has anybody taken the leap and had a clothing item created out of their doggies fur?  Drake is going in for a clip next week and we're going to have the groomer keep all his fur for us, plus we have been saving some of the fur we brushed off him.  Once I get 10 oz., I'm sending it in to be made into a Newf Beanie, a.ka. knit hat.  It's going to be hilarious and I'm laughing already.  For all you Nay-sayers who think it's gross to have a hat made out of "Doggie Shed", that's been cleaned and woven with wool, you'll think differently when you see pics.   I might even have a BPO logo patch sewn into it.  The best thing about it will be that I will have something to remember Drake by for the rest of my life.

Aggghgmom

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 12:16:59 pm »
The dry cleaner I go to has a sign on the wall that they will not dry clean sweaters made out of "pet hair".  So obviously people have asked about it.  Remember to ask your cleaner before having your piece dry cleaned!!

Still trying to figure out how to get a picture of Harley on my profile ???