Author Topic: Dog Fur Sweater  (Read 16999 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: Dog Fur Sweater
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 12:40:21 pm »
Good thing to think about, might have to wash it at home in Woolite.

Aggghgmom, if you want a picture of Harley as your Avatar, this is what you do.  Log in to BPO.  On the right column under UserTools, click on Profile.  Your Profile will come up.  On the left side column, click on Forum Profile Information.  Then you want to select I will upload my own picture: and then hit the BROWSE button below that.  Select the desired picture of him you have in your computer files and there you go!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 12:42:10 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 04:33:13 pm »
After talking about it for quite a while and being ridiculed and laughed at by most people, including my wife, I have finally gotten enough fur off of Drake to place an order with  www.vipfibers. com to make a ski cap.  I am really excited, it is going to be so cool!  Before the last few times we had Drake groomed, I asked the Groomer ahead of time to keep the nice clean fur she cut off of him for me.  Here's a picture of what the hat will look like.  Mine will obviously be Black and I asked them not to put the "Pom-Pom" on the top of it.  I also added a pic of the hilarious Bikini you can order too, that's a bit much.  I think that one was made out of Samoyed fur.  Victoria, at VIP Fibers said she was just at a big fashion show down in So Cal that featured 4 of these bikinis.  Only in California... ::)  I'll post pics of the hat once I get it, it should be about a month.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:57:54 pm by Newf Lover »

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 07:30:06 pm »
I wonder if something like this could be done for the homeless.  It seems they could use something to keep them warm and such a waste for all of us dog owners to throw it out when it could be used like that.   hhhhmmmmmmmmmm
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:17 pm »
I love it, I've been saving bits of hair here and there to get one made also at some point.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 07:38:55 am »
That dog hair bikini - there's just somethihng wrong about that if you ask me!  :P

One of the old chow chow show people here in England used to spin and knit her own sweaters from her dog's fur.

Annnnd, here's a bit of trivia for you from my latest copy of the TMCGB's magazine. In Mongolia, the nomads have dogs that are basically the same as a Tibetan Mastiff for herding and guarding their animals. They comb out the undercoat when the dogs blow their coats (just like with their cashmere goats) and make their socks out of it as they swear there is nothing as soft and warm as the dog's wool. They are said, of all their animals, only give the dogs names and bury them when they die.

My socks always seem to be covered in dog hairs anyway.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:40:23 am by Senghe »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 10:32:29 am »
The Mongolian's must be on to something...  I sure love their Barbecue!!! 

Brandon, if you're just saving the fur you brush out of Bava and Mowgli, it's going to take FOREVER!!! BUT....  the people at Vip Fiber said that the brushed out undercoat fur is going to be much softer than fur that was cut and collected.  So it might be worth the wait, but it's going to take a really long time.  I'm not that patient and I'm sure Drake's clean, cut fur will be soft enough.  Just an FYI.  ;)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Fur Hat
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 11:37:43 am »
FYI, I just sent off Drakes fur to VIP Fibers to be spun and then made into a ski cap.  Yeah, it's almost Summer and I won't need a warm ski cap for a while, but I have been putting it off for too long.  I'll let you all know when they post on their website that their spinning his fur.  It should be ready in about a month and then I'll post some fashion pics.  My wife thinks I'm so weird.....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 11:38:33 am by Newf Lover »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 12:05:49 pm »
Oooh, that is so cool.  How much hair do you need to send to get a cap out of it?  I would like to have a cap and scarf made out of Keiko's hair.  I've been saving awhile, but I only have almost a small plastic bag filled.  How much did it cost?

I'd love to get it dyed the color of her blue eye.  Something to remember her by when she's gone.  :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 08:29:26 pm »
I have a bag from Dixie and Sugar Bear. I would love to get the pillow.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Fur Hat
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 10:22:15 pm »
It says that you need to send 10 oz. of fur for a "Watch Cap".  They will spin all of the fur you send and if you want, they will send your finished keepsake AND all of the spun fur yarn to you.  I sent 1 kitchen garbage bag (the white one) full of Drakes fur.  It was from his last grooming and he had just been washed so it's nice and clean.  That's something you want to consider when you send in the fur.  They will charge extra to clean the fur and get any burrs, foxtails and gunk out of it.  The Watch Cap costs $45 U.S. and with shipping and tax added it comes out to about $55.  It will be more if you live outside the USA. Not cheap, but then again, it's made out of your fur baby.  It only cost me about $5 to send the fur to them, but I live in California and VIP Fibers is based here too.  Hope that answers all your questions.  Can't wait to see the finished product!  If you guys have any more questions, go to  http://www.vipfibers.com/  Love that site!  Makes me smile every time!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:45:46 pm by Newf Lover »