Author Topic: Dog Fur Sweater  (Read 16825 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Dog Fur Sweater
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:17:14 pm »
Has anyone ever thought about making a sweater out of their dog's fur?  We get so much fur out of just one brushing of Drake and I was thinking, this stuff is pretty thick and soft and might be good material to weave with.  My wife thought I was weird so I dropped that idea.  But then we've had several strangers on the street suggest the same thing to us, so now I'm thinking about it again.  How could I go about doing this?  I think it would be a neat thing to do and be a great thing to have when Drake is no longer with us. :'(  I don't want to think about that day but it's going to happen and it would be good to have something physical to remind me of the best dog I could ever have wished for.  Do I just contact a local weaver?  Would the fur have to be mixed with wool?  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Nicole

Re: Dog Fur Sweater
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:24:25 pm »
OOH! I actually have seen this! Look online....I know that there is someone that does it. Seriously.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 11:25:23 pm »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:30:14 pm »
Thanks!  I'll check it out, hopefully it's not too expensive!

DakotaMom

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 11:30:29 pm »
Hi Newf Lover,
This is not a new idea. We have done this for Leonberger rescue. Here is a link to the afghan that was made. http://www.leonberger-rescue.org/afghan2.html

The afghan was raffled off and made a nice chunk of change.

There is a company called VIP Fibers that will be helping us out with the spinning for our next one.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 11:35:50 pm »
We have a specialty wool and yarn shop here in our city, and they will take your dogs fur and spin it into wool for you! Check out places like these. Another option would be to contact a Fine Arts University in your area. I am sure that you would be able to find a student there who would help you out. I know a girl who went to an art school and she had created a small change bag out of rabbit fur that one of her friends had. Most of these schools have all of the facilities needed for this, and ALL students are searching for ways to make extra cash!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 11:44:46 pm »
Great idea!! Go onto ebay. Im sure I remeber someone on there that you could send the dog hair to and she would weave it or make it into warn ?? Ill go see and get back to you.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:54 am »
I cant find the auction I was thinking of.  :-\ I did find a book though on how to weave your own. LOL If you decide to start your own buisness Ill need an address. Judge sheds most of the summer so by next Christmas you should be able to figure out how to weave and Ill send you some of Judges hair.  ;D Your wife wont think its so silly once your rich. LOL The book is only at 6.99. Look under dog hair and crafts. Sorry I didnt get the link.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 02:07:08 am »
I am so going to have a dog fur sweater! I was informed about this when I first got Kiah, so I'm collecting her fur. I can't wait for her to blow her coat. I've heard the sweaters are really really soft. This way I can cuddle with my baby all day!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 02:11:33 am »
Has anyone ever thought about making a sweater out of their dog's fur?  We get so much fur out of just one brushing of Drake and I was thinking, this stuff is pretty thick and soft and might be good material to weave with.  My wife thought I was weird so I dropped that idea.  But then we've had several strangers on the street suggest the same thing to us, so now I'm thinking about it again.  How could I go about doing this?  I think it would be a neat thing to do and be a great thing to have when Drake is no longer with us. :'(  I don't want to think about that day but it's going to happen and it would be good to have something physical to remind me of the best dog I could ever have wished for.  Do I just contact a local weaver?  Would the fur have to be mixed with wool?  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
I give all of Sam's (& now Pippin's) hair to Sam's breeder...She spins it & then knits hats, scarves, mittens, etc...I've heard that Pyr hair at least is much warmer than lambs wool...When I talk to her next I'll let ya' knwo how she does it.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:34:59 am »
I've also heard of spinning and weaving newfie hair, and I've seen a few newf hair hats and gloves on ebay....
Karen

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 03:22:45 am »
There was a Newfie scarf at the Newf Speciality this year and it looked and felt so great. The idea of actually wearing my dog around kinda creeps me out but since I am always cold I think I might try to have some Newfie mittens made.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 05:03:32 am »
Thanks everybody for you help and comments.  I think doing something like this would be a much less morbid momento to the pets we love than taking them to the Taxidermist and getting them stuffed.  If any of you have done that, sorry if I seem insensitive.  I will check out all of your leads and let you know, maybe I'll start up a new company, I hate my job now so why not?  Question though, how much hair for a hat?  Mittens?  Sweater? Blanket?  Better start collecting, should only take a month to collect enough.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 06:14:37 am »
Thanks everybody for you help and comments.  I think doing something like this would be a much less morbid momento to the pets we love than taking them to the Taxidermist and getting them stuffed.  If any of you have done that, sorry if I seem insensitive. 

HA! HA! We had a pet chicken that died. My husband loved that chicken and seriously went to the local taxidermist to see how much it would be to get her stuffed!! Thankfully, it wasn't too difficult to convince her that it was too expensive.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 07:09:12 am »
Tajsa!  I can't believe I just read those words....." I can't wait for Kiah to blow her coat"  YIKES!!  I remember when Roxy was not even a year old and people would ask us if she shed much.  The complete idiots that we were, we said "No, we are really lucky..she rarely ever sheds."  What a couple of novice Pyr owners we were!  Personally, I think Roxy "blows" her coat 365 days a year!  (Actually she blows it in October...you would think she would want to get rid of it in May or June, before the 115 degree temps arive!)  We have enough Pyr hair everywhere on a regular basis .I am not looking forward to the blowing of the coat at all this year!  Maybe I'm bitter because I spend every spare minute I have, following Roxy around with a vacuum, a brush, or a lint roller.... which by the way, we purchase in 8 packs at Costco!  We have a huge ceramic vase that we have put all the hair we brush out of her into; who knows if we'll do anything with it, considering everything we own is already a "dog fur sweater, tank top, curtains, or car seats"!!  I would love to know if you look forward to next years "blow" once you experience the first one!!  I hope I don't come off as rude or bratty to you, Tajsa..just having a little fun! 

Stephanie & Roxy