Author Topic: Sadie ate a Nylabone and ....  (Read 8909 times)

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Sadie ate a Nylabone and ....
« on: September 26, 2005, 05:00:23 am »
She puked it up, I think, in her cage while we were at work.  She got the bone last night and befofe I knew it, she had eaten the whole thing.  We gave her a puppy one, and I didn't think she'd be able to actually eat it, but alas.  HELP!  Was she supposed to actually digest it?  I feel so stupid that she puked.
Rachel

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Sadie ate a Nylabone and ....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 05:17:35 am »
I'm not a professional anything, but Roxy did the same thing when she was a pup.  We gave her a nylabone, and before we knew it, she had eaten the entire thing.  I too, thought they were just "chewing" things, but she ate it right up...then puked it back up!  This has happened more than once over the past 2 1/2 years with various rawhide chews, bones, chew treats, etc.  I think Roxy's problem is that she eats them too fast and doesn't take the time to chew and grind them up well enough and just gulps them down.  She's getting better as she gets older, but I guess big dogs have big throats!  If the pup threw it up, then it was her body's natural way of rejecting it.  Those nylabones are tricky...I'm still not sure if they are supposed to be swallowed or not. We stopped getting them for Roxy, only because they were making a mess on our carpet and we would step on little random pieces of the long-gone bone.  I hope she is allright, just make sure to keep an eye out for any odd/new symptoms.

Take care,

Stephanie & Roxy

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 05:19:34 am »
Thank you so much, I will definitely not be getting her another Nylabone any time soon.  She loves her rawhides and hasn't thrown up from those. 
Rachel

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 05:28:30 am »
That's good to hear!   Not to sound like an overprotective parent, but sometimes it's safer to give them the bones, chews, rawhides, etc. when you are at home and can kind of keep on eye on them.  Roxy's so big, but when she gets near the end of her big rawhide bone (the last knot at the end) we usually try to take it away from her and toss it, only because she thinks she is superwoman and swallows the entire thing whole...its only bad news from there!  It's hard to find stuff that she doesn't devour in less than five minutes!  Sometimes we give her treats and we don't even hear or see her chew them...they go straight down the hatch!!   Oh well! 

Take care!

Stephanie & Roxy

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 05:40:33 am »
Kiah does the same thing. The only nylabones that are ediable(sp?) are the ones that say that right on the packaging. I give Kiah hollow bones that have been cleaned. I buy them at the pet store. They're great! She can't chew them up.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 06:04:47 am »

I am SURE what you gave her was a GUMabone, and not a nylabone. Nylabones last for YEARS around here. No puppy is going to eat one overnight.

You must be CAREFUL with these big hard chewing dogs. It's hard sometimes to find good chew toys that they cannot destroy.

Keep a CLOSE eye on her, and if she keeps vomiting, goes off her food, or does not have normal bowel movements, see your vet pronto.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 09:25:14 am »
My husband and son-in-law researched all around the internet to find a "safe" rawhide bone for the 2 Pyrs adn the Akita. They finally settled on "roarhide" bones which were chopped up rawhide fused together. It was supposed to keep them safe from swallowing big hunks of rawhide that can swell in their intestines and can cause blockages. Tehy drove all over the area and finally found them. They bought nice big ones and a small one for the Cairn terrier and proudly presented them. The Akita devoured his in 5 min and the other three took about 10 min and I'm pretty sure they all puked them up!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o My guys think they're sooooooooo smart - HA!!!

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29:43 pm »
She seems to be doing ok this morning.  She ate some food before I left and as far as I can tell is going to the bathroom alright.  I know it said Nylabone and puppy on the package, but maybe it was the other bone you thought Red.  Anyhoo, I won't be making that mistake again.  Thanks for the advice guys!
Rachel

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 08:08:14 pm »
Ya know, I was thinkin' the same thing as Red. I don't see how she could have actually eaten it, unless she simply swallowed it whole. (OUCH!) Cuz Nylabones LITERALLY last years here, too. And I've got a strong, strong chewer. Even my American Bulldog/Pit Bull X with SUPER SUPER SUPER strong jaws and a tendancy to swallow ABSOLUTELY everything couldn't polish one of them off. Maybe the puppy size is simply too small. I buy the "Wolf" or "Jumbo" size for Cabeza.

Although, now that I'm thinkin' about it...Nylabone does make a product that can be chewed up....someone bought Cabeza one once and he ate it immediately. Yeah...I just looked at their website. They make "EDIBLES" and "NON-EDIBLES"

So, you probably purchased the edibles. I recommend against those if you've got a dog that will just gobble them up.

Here, look at their website:

http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pageid=49

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 08:15:26 pm »
i would make sure you got the whole puppy bone, and , if not, i would xray her in a few days to be sure nothing is stuck or hung up.
as others stated, puppy bones are a no go for the giants as they tend to put everything in mouth and swallow it down.
stones, sticks anything is fair game to go into their belly.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 08:38:15 pm »
Ya know, I was thinkin' the same thing as Red. I don't see how she could have actually eaten it, unless she simply swallowed it whole. (OUCH!) Cuz Nylabones LITERALLY last years here, too. And I've got a strong, strong chewer. Even my American Bulldog/Pit Bull X with SUPER SUPER SUPER strong jaws and a tendancy to swallow ABSOLUTELY everything couldn't polish one of them off. Maybe the puppy size is simply too small. I buy the "Wolf" or "Jumbo" size for Cabeza.

Although, now that I'm thinkin' about it...Nylabone does make a product that can be chewed up....someone bought Cabeza one once and he ate it immediately. Yeah...I just looked at their website. They make "EDIBLES" and "NON-EDIBLES"

So, you probably purchased the edibles. I recommend against those if you've got a dog that will just gobble them up.

Here, look at their website:

http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pageid=49

Ok I definitely gave her a non-edible bone.  The website confirmed it.   :o

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 10:45:56 pm »
I'll stick with marow bones I feel thier much safer. Once in a while I might give a rawhide or a pigs ear but only if Im around. I had to dislodge a piece of a milkbone cookie 2x's from Apache, he gets too excited for cookies. Scared the heck out of me, only thing I could do is keep telling myself to be calm & get it out.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 03:26:23 am »
the edibles. I recommend against those if you've got a dog that will just gobble them up.

I agree. Zoey got an edible nylabone once, and there was lots of vomiting after she ate half of it in one bite.
RIP former BPO