Author Topic: I want to rescue a Dane!!! How?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
I want to rescue a Dane!!! How?
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:23:47 pm »
I was seriously thinking about buying a Great Dane pup but the more and more I read on the net and all the rescue sites have kind of changed my mind. There are way to many of these beautiful animals out there that need a loving home. It just seems so complicated to rescue!!! They want you to have a fenced in yard, which I do not but I live in the country so I dont see the need! Some of the sites even ask that you dont have any other pets????? ALSO!!!! I am in Northern Ontario and there just isnt a rescue near by!!!
Its just like adopting a child! Although my dogs are treated like children only I think my fur babies are better behaved than my skin kids LOL ;D

Does anyone have any suggestions for me????
Thanks
Cuttles
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: I want to rescue a Dane!!! How?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:37:09 pm »
Cant figure out how to sign Coonie out and sign me in but this is cuttles not coonie!!! :-\ Im on her computer!!!!LOL

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:50:34 pm »
Have you tried petfinder.com?  I don't know if it covers Canada, but you may find some in the northern States.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:56:03 pm »
Nope havn't tried that but I will!  ;D Thanks
Cuttles

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:04:56 pm »
I say just be patient and diligent and look and work hard. Rescues are notoriously hard to deal with. The trick is to find a rescue that you can work with. And it may be easier to find a Dane at an "all-breed" type of rescue and do that than to work with a Dane rescue.

Petfinder was a good suggestion. You can narrow your search to a particular breed and area. Start there.

Here, I did a little search on Petfinder. Here's a rescue in Cambridge Ontario (don't know how far that is, but they say they do adoptions in the whole province):

http://www.danesindistress.com/index.php

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:16:22 am »
I wanted to rescue a dane also but had problems with the rescues.  Worked on it for like 6 mos.  I ended up buying one - Willow and she is my baby!!  Alot of rescues did not want to adopt to me because of my 2 mojos.  I guess they were worried about the mojo's getting hurt.  I wanted to rescue one so badly.  Maybe my next big paw will be a rescue.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 07:00:20 am »
Here is a link to some VERY reputable Great Dane Rescue organization.

http://gracieland.org/wsgdra/index.html

Every group on this list has been thoroughly checked out and meets with a very strick requirement of "Resputable Rescue".  Read through these requirements below.  Interview the rescue organization ... as I am sure they will interview you too.

A rescued Dane is one of the greatest investments you can make ... it's worth a million.

Your rescue will have to meet our basic minimum standards criteria. Here are the current criteria.

1. All rescue groups have different philosophies, different goals, different numbers of foster homes available, operate in different climates and cultures, etc. Because of this, all rescues operate somewhat differently. We are cognizant of this, and we have worked together to create a list of standards of care that we expect all members to provide for the Danes in their care or possession:

2. Animals will be housed indoors while in the care of rescue. Animals will be kept in a supervised home environment. If rescue utilizes indoor kennels, Animals will receive a minimum of one hour of personal attention outside of the kennel daily, being cared for by staff or volunteers. Animals will not be housed in an outdoor kennel. Animals will be adopted under a contract requiring them to be housed indoors.

3. Living environments for all animals in the rescue will be clean and of a reasonable size for the animal(s). Fresh, clean water will be available at all times to all animals unless otherwise directed via written instructions from a licensed veterinarian. Except for brief periods, as part of a specific event or action, animals will not be tied or chained up.

4. Animals will be provided with adequate quantities of food on a regular basis. A fixed feeding schedule is preferred.

5. Animals will be scanned and microchipped upon arrival and the microchip number will be used as a unique identifier for that animal from that point forward.

6. A file will be started on each animal upon arrival and will include; microchip documentation, and a signed release form transferring the dog to the rescue from the previous owner, or the agency the dog was received from. If stray, or if the agency does not supply paperwork, a notation of when, where, how, and by whom the dog was acquired, and signed by an authorized representative of the rescue, will suffice. A signed release of medical records or copies of the animal's previous medical records should be obtained and added to the file, whenever possible. This file will be permanent. Copies of the contents may be given to the adopters or agency the animal is transferred to, but the original file must remain with the rescue.

7. Rescue must have a clear and defensible right of ownership for all dogs in their possession. Accordingly; Rescue will document that they complied with all regulations regarding the handling of stray dogs and will not place any dog until they are the legal owners.  Rescue will document that they confirmed with the appropriate registries that microchipped dogs coming into the rescue are not listed as stolen.

8. Each animal's temperament will be evaluated prior to adoption by a professional trainer or behaviorist, or a volunteer with supervised experience evaluating temperament. It is preferred that the evaluation be documented and retained in Rescue's records. This evaluation is to be used in part, to match the animal's personality and behaviors to the lifestyle and home environment of the potential adopters.

9. Animal will be altered prior to adoption, unless a qualified medical condition precludes it, on the written advice of a veterinarian. No spay/neuter contracts will be considered, even for young puppies. A veterinarian will evaluate each Animal's health, and records shall be kept and transferred to adopter. All health conditions identified by a veterinarian will be treated, or for chronic conditions, treatment will begin prior to adoption, at the advice of at least one veterinarian. Animal will be up-to-date on relevant area vaccinations prior to adoption, unless this goes against a veterinarian's advice based on health. Adoption contract will require that the Animal be kept up-to-date on vaccinations (see above), and free of parasites including heartworms (including preventative where this is a problem). If Rescue permits adopters to use holistic preventatives, etc., in place of conventional vaccinations and treatments, Animal must be under the care of a qualified holistic veterinarian.

10. Rescue will fully inform adopters about any known or suspected health or behavioral problems. It is the job of rescue to know what health or behavioral problems each animal has and to at least begin to treat those problems before adoption. If for some reason they do not complete treatment prior to adoption, they must inform the adopters of the problems, and the current ongoing treatment plans, and they must be available to assist the adopters after placement. They must also continue to monitor the animal's progress after placement, ensuring that the problems are resolved.

11. A home visit will be done prior to adoption. WSGDRA may be able to provide volunteers for home visits for out-of-area adoptions. Rescue will require and verify references for any potential adopter, including one or more veterinarian reference.
For out-of-area adoptions, Rescue will contact the same-breed rescue in the state of the potential adoption, to ensure adopter is not on a "do-not-adopt" list. Rescue will make arrangements prior to adoption, to recover Animal if adoption were to fail. Rescue should also check the DNA lists on the internet. WSGDRA can provide info on joining these lists if the rescue is not already a member.

12. Rescue will inform adopter of the unique nutritional, medical, and behavioral requirements of the breed, including Bloat and Torsion, growth issues such as HOD, OCD, and Pano, etc. An adoption packet with articles listing such things is strongly recommended. Rescue will always be available for any questions from the adopter, for the life of the Animal.

13. Adoption contract will stipulate that if the adoption were to fail, the Animal will be returned to the Rescue, and never be sold, given away, abandoned, or released to an animal shelter.

14. Animal will receive some basic training while in the care of Rescue, concentrating on positive reinforcement techniques. Rescue will require adopters to continue with basic training, and will emphasize the importance of training with breeds like the Great Dane. A requirement of formal obedience classes in the contract is strongly recommended, especially for puppies. [/color]

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 09:40:04 am »
COOL!!!! daneinsane!!! you should give me some names I would really appreciate it!!! I want a pure bred Dane so bad you have no idea!!!
I Love the breed and I Love my Sadie so I know I would make a wonderful Dane Mommy!! At least I hope I would!!!
Thanks for everyones help