Author Topic: We finally fenced the backyard!!!  (Read 13373 times)

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
We finally fenced the backyard!!!
« on: September 27, 2005, 01:51:28 am »
I just had to share the exciting news!  We just had our new wooden fence installed yesterday and for the first time this morning, we let Riley out without a leash!!!  He was sooo excited, running around the entire yard!  It was great!  Now the only thing is trying to get him back in!  We were almost late to work this morning cause we couldn't get him back in the house! :) 

Sidenote - Twice last week (once with me, once with hubby), after he was done doing his business, I unhooked the leash about 5 feet from the back door.   In my instance, I opened the back door and called him in...  he just stared at me and waited for me to make a move.  As soon as I took a step toward him, he dashed through the walkway to the front of the house.  I knew if I chased him, he would run, so I picked up his food bowl and after a few minutes, he followed me thank God!  Unfortunately in my husband's instance, he made the mistake of chasing him and chased him halfway down the street.  Luckily there was a couple outside with their little mojo that distracted him and we caught him. 

This is why I am so psyched to have a fence!

Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Nicole

Re: We finally fenced the backyard!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:52:22 am »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:02:06 am »
thats awesome.  I can't wait till we put up a fence which probably wont be till next summer...
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:42:32 am »
Just wait until he gets the zoomies and bolts around the yard chasing nothing.  Or when he goes to the back of the yard night when it is really dark, you are home alone and he won't come in.  I leave my guys out there when they do that or get the flashlight out to lur them back to the house.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:02:03 am »
That's great! Riley's going to love it!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 03:15:25 am »
Try this one -- new privacy fence up in our yard.  Kizmet loves it.  I'm home sick last week.  Kizmet wants to go play in the yard.  Whining at the door with a ball in his mouth.  After a half and hour trying to convince him that we didn't need to go outside, I relent and drag my sick butt (still in pajamas) to sit on the deck chair and watch him play.  Did I mention I have a 101 degree fever and am wrapped in a blanket at this point???

Man, that dog has it made!!! 

I now pronounce you "Queen Sucker"
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:15:35 am »
That fence is hands down the best thing you will ever do for Riley!!! ;D ;D...You have no idea how happy I am for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ...Samson was on leash for 6 months before we got our fence :(...I am still happy beyond description with it!!! ;D....Enjoy!!!!! ;D...Did I mention I am estatic for you?!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 03:39:13 am »
After a half and hour trying to convince him that we didn't need to go outside, I relent and drag my sick butt (still in pajamas) to sit on the deck chair and watch him play. Did I mention I have a 101 degree fever and am wrapped in a blanket at this point???

Man, that dog has it made!!!

Wow Kizmet is one lucky dog!  Can't wait to go home and let Riley out!
Tina
Riley's Momma

BabsT

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 03:42:21 am »
We fenced in our yard this past may and it was the best spend money for the dogs and my son....I am sure your dog is like this is the best present ever LOL

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 03:47:52 am »
Yes, good fences make good neighbors.  Here in Calif. almost all of us have fenced yards but when I visit the east coast it is often completely open between houses.  It looks nice but I do not know how people live without some privacy?  Their dogs really can't run.
Peggy

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 03:51:20 am »
Yes, good fences make good neighbors. Here in Calif. almost all of us have fenced yards but when I visit the east coast it is often completely open between houses. It looks nice but I do not know how people live without some privacy? Their dogs really can't run.

That is so true!  In Boston, there are lots of houses without fences.  Before the fence, our yard was completely open with both next door neighbors as well as the 2 back neigbors - both of which had dogs too.  One of them was a mean old lab that would ALWAY bark at Riley for no reason.  I even saw him wander into our yard  and pee and poo once - all while his owner was in their backyard - it was that day that I said to my hubby - WE ARE GETTING A FENCE!  :)
Tina
Riley's Momma

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 03:53:03 am »
Isn't it the best?  My husband and I actually bought our house because of the fenced backyard and that was when we only had one dog!  I remember how exciting that first morning was when we let McDougal out on his own-no bundling up at 6am, walking around in slippers with bed head while the neighbors gawk at you while you try to muster up an enthusiastic "potty outside!"  Enjoy!  Oh, and the dogs love it too!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

BabsT

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 04:54:58 am »
We must have the same black dog that lives behind us LOL...and I live near boston too LOL

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 05:20:15 am »
=
we have one in monroe n,y!Too and we have a fenced yard too it is the Best!!!!!!!! love maggie&Molly!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 05:23:06 am »
HA! HA! We bought our house because of the fenced backyard, too! And we only had Oasis at the time, but knew that yard was just too big for only one dog. Then, when Oasis started getting separation anxiety and chewing through the wooden fence, we took out a 2nd mortgage to get a vinyl fence because getting rid of the dog to solve the problem was just not an option, of course - although several stupid, ignorant people suggested that!

Why spend $10,000 on a fence? Wouldn't it be cheaper to not have dogs?? Um, can you put a price on a broken heart? NO!!

Stupid people who can't understand that it doesn't matter to me if my baseboards are chewed up or there are no doors to any of my rooms or that there are random holes in my yard or mystery spots on my carpet. These things can be fixed or replaced. My dogs can't (well, they can be fixed, of course, but not replaced!).
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain