Author Topic: Have you always loved BIG dogs or...  (Read 13540 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Have you always loved BIG dogs or...
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 06:12:15 am »
Funny you mentioned that...I was attacked by three different GSD's in my life and chased ontop of the roof of a car by 2 white AB's while smaller...neve r once became afraid of dogs lOL
strange, you'd think someone that has been attacked by dogs especially as a child would harbor some fear....I still have scars on my legs too...I always thought I never was afraid because I "ain't right" :D ...Now I have concerns about you too...LOL! :D :D

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 07:03:52 am »
I have always loved big dogs. Growing up we always had 3 to 5 dogs living in the house. They were mostly medium size mutts. My first big dog was a Pyr mix, Then I got a Pyr, that was back in 1981.  Now I have an assortment of dogs. 2 Siberians, 2 Coonhounds, a Pointer X and now a Rottie pup.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 10:27:00 pm »
i used to think beagles/jack russels & mini schnauzers were the business... now they just bug the crapola outta me...

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 10:53:59 pm »
I was raised around all types of animals. I learned to ride my pony before I even learned to ride a bike. We had a Newf/ Irish Setter cross up until I was 5. We always had a dog in the house, but never as big as him. After him we rescued an Irish Setter, when she passed we had a lab mix and a cocker spaniel. I always wanted to have another giant in my home, but the timing just wasn't right. When we found Hutch I had to do some serious convincing that we had enough room for a dog of that size. Now I always grin when I hear Derek say 'He's not big, every other dog is just really small!'. We will never again be without a big drooling, shedding monster!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 12:14:39 am »
I was raised with a small-medium dog beagle-terrier mix. Yes, only one. By the time she passed away at 19 years old I was married and out of the house. I always wanted a doberman, and once we got our house, I got two...then they weren't big enough and I wanted a change so I branched into danes

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 04:13:42 am »
I grew up with assorted small dogs. My main preference was long hair! After I married, I was researching "family" dogs, found newfoundlands, and was hooked.  We also have a golden retriever, just over 100 pounds, heart of gold.  (he just isn't a newfie)
Karen

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 09:08:56 am »
It's always been Danes and Irish Wolfhounds.  Later, when I knew a breeder, it was Borzois.
Growing up we had a 35lb terrier mix who got nasty when he got old, and had to be PTS.  Then we were supposed to get a Peke, but that fell through and my mom got a Golden Retriever.  Brandy and I just never bonded, I don't really like insanely "happy" dogs.  Brandy had an undiagnosed heart defect and died after just a few years, then Gigolo came and said he belonged to us. He was a mix- one of those short haired "yellow dogs" with a mole on his muzzle.  He died of kidney failure two years later (another undiagnosed defect).  By then I was 17 and had a good job, I started looking at Dane breeders and my mom bought a Keeshond to keep me from bringing home a Dane.
THAT dog was a disaster from the first, he was a pet store puppy mill dog and was just never "right" in the head.  He got to go live on my aunt's acreage and run wild until he died at a ripe old age.
As soon as I was out of my parent's house I adopted a Dane puppy, and it's been Danes and giant breed mixes ever since.
I had a horse when I was a kid, too.  My mom says the big dogs are just compensating for not being able to afford a horse- if she knew what I spent on the dogs she'd know I could probably afford TWO horses!

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 09:44:46 am »
Growing up I had a variety of dogs. Beagles, Llhasas, Dobermans, and then my mom raised St Brenards. Living on a farm we also had livestock and of course ponies and then quarter horses. When Randy and I got married we decided to purchase a St Bernard for our son Tyler. "Big Clyde" was great for or toddler to grow up with. They were best buds. Where you saw Ty you saw Clyde laying near by keeping a close eye on him. I have it on video the both of them playing in the sand box making roads for the tonka trucks. And in the hot summer months in the pool together. Nothing like a big drool in the pool. After Clyde passed this summer after 10 years of devotion to our family we decided to get Gretchen out rottie. Gretchen is little sister to Buttons (llhasa) and Macie ( not sure what she is). But I must say I am very partial to my big dogs..
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Nicole

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 09:49:58 am »
Well....

I've always loved dogs. My mom was one of those psycho NO PETS people. She hates dirt and hair. But, for some reason, she let me get a puppy when I tured 7. So, Millie was my first dog. WAIT NO! My first dog was a German Shepherd Dog that I had when I was a baby. But, someone stole him. I don't remember him at all....anyway. ..hahaha....Mi llie was some sort of beagle mix. She was about 40 pounds. She was always a bit psycho, and when my parents got divorced, she tried to bite my step-mom (I don't blame her at all) and my dad put her down.

Anyway...I can't remember when I fell in love with big dogs. I've wanted a Mastiff ever since I can remember. Its funny, Babs that you said that about asking for a big dog when you got married. That's what I've always told my boyfriend. "I won't marry you until I can get a big dog" Of course, he's always agreed...but not until I graduate college and we buy a house.

I fell in love with Newfs when I read Rhoda Lerman's book, "In the Company of Newfies." My dog is a Newf mix, and he is one in a million, but I just thought that was him. Rhoda's book cemented the fact that its a Newf temperment that makes him so special.

BabsT

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 10:08:49 am »
I had my deposit down on my boy Zero right after he proposed...Mak ing it very clear that I will have a big dog LOL

I just love them to pieces

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 10:36:01 am »
I have 'Mixed Emotions'!
I love the Pyrs, their nobility, and their independece, and devotion.
But then I'm drawn to the Newfoundland for these same qualities.
And then the Rottweiller!
And then GSD's.
And then...
I gotta win the lottery.
You people are making me NUTZ!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Blair

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 10:38:24 am »
I didnt grow up with bog dogs, just little yappy dogs  :-\ My Mother showed Shih Tzu in AKC, so we had those around a lot. Then after the Shih Tzus my mother got a Schnauzer mixed, she was a great dog. After she passed away she got 2 poodles. I remember them the best, Shadow and Fancy  :) Fancy was killed bt a neighbor dog and Shadow passed away of old age  :( . I didnt get my first BIG dog till after I got married. There was no question about it, I wanted a BIG dog LOL And had only BIG dogs since, well except for my Diesel [who thinks he is BIG] The smallest dog I currently want is an Afghan Hound LOL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 01:52:35 pm »
I didnt grow up with bog dogs, just little yappy dogs  :-\ My Mother showed Shih Tzu in AKC, so we had those around a lot. Then after the Shih Tzus my mother got a Schnauzer mixed, she was a great dog. After she passed away she got 2 poodles. I remember them the best, Shadow and Fancy  :) Fancy was killed bt a neighbor dog and Shadow passed away of old age  :( . I didnt get my first BIG dog till after I got married. There was no question about it, I wanted a BIG dog LOL And had only BIG dogs since, well except for my Diesel [who thinks he is BIG] The smallest dog I currently want is an Afghan Hound LOL
There is a lady in my small town that has an Afghan friend...He lost most of his tail in an accident as a young pup....because of his tail his name is Bob!...I love Bob! :)

Offline halfwaynowhere

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 07:12:40 am »
well, i have always liked medium sized dogs, and i have always seen my black lab as a tiny dog, but lately i had been looking for a super tiny dog, a teacup chihuahua... and then earlier this week i saw a gorgeous mastiff at the shelter, and now he's laying at my feet... i still want a chihuahua, but theres so much more of him to love... i'll have to wait for the tiny dog...

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 07:16:50 am »
I've always been a "Bigger is Better" girl.  When I was 2 I used to run away and play with the Dane next door.   (I used to run away alot when I was little).  However my mom was terrified of Danes and my little sister got knocked on her butt by a Dobe puppy (7 months) when she was little so she was scared of anything bigger than a lint ball.  I always loved the big boys though and was ecstatic when a new riding instructor I started going to bred Danes.  (I now know she was a BYB but it was a happy memory and I choose not to taint it).  Pretty much as soon as I could I got my big dog.  And I never want to be without one again.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."