Author Topic: Have you always loved BIG dogs or...  (Read 13446 times)

BabsT

Have you always loved BIG dogs or...
« on: September 28, 2005, 01:49:24 am »
did they grow on you...I have always loved and admired them and when my husband asked me to marry him, I replied with 'Can I have a big dog?'  Now I have 2 LOL

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Have you always loved BIG dogs or...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 01:55:02 am »
I've always loved big dogs. When I was little, I was bitten by a mid-size bulldog of some sort (I was 5, so the memory is a little hazy.) and I've been bitten by countless "small-fry" since. I try to be very cautious when dealing with them, as their moods seem to change faster than the wind. Their body launguage is harder to read, so I prefer the bigger guys, who "telegraph" their intentions a little better.

My brother has a demented little Mojo/Boston Terrier cross that is a complete spaz. He'll come over to you and beg for attention, then when you start petting him, he'll lick you for a minute or so, and then bite you....HARD.

Freaking spaz. *lol*
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:18:16 am »
Gutta love those LGD's my sister had an Anatolian too...that is how I got into the LGDs and now I have a Central Asian & Caucasian

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:50:58 am »
I have always loved big dogs!! We had lots of dogs growing up. Mostly mixes of labs, a shiba inu (fostered for a short time) and pekingeses. My neighbor growing up had a littled terrier thing and it bit me on the ankle. Some of my friends had little dogs that were always hyper and I couldn't stand them. I LOVE big mellow dogs! We had one dog that I was very attached to Samantha Jo. I'll make post for her on the rainbow bridge.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:26:03 am »
You know I dont' remember when I got attached to big dogs.  My family never had a dog until I was in the seventh grade.  My grandparents had dogs, but they were mid sized collie/shepherd crosses mostly.

My favorite breeds used to be the cocker spaniel (lady and the tramp), the scottish terrier, and the west highland white terrier.  This is of course back when I was like ages 5-10.  I think the giant breed dogs took awhile for me to warm up to simply b/c it was ingrained into me that they were "too big" and would eat too much and take up too much room.

So I would have to say they started really growing on me in the last 5 or so years.  I've always loved all dogs, but simply didn't think I would ever have the resources to handle a big dog.  I know better now, and wouldn't have it any other way.   :D  Now, I don't think I will ever live long enough to get all the breeds I want........lo l

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:37:05 am »
I've grown up with big, medium, and small! Loved all my dogs and will always have big, medium, and small dogs! ;D
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 03:42:47 am »
Actually, I was never much of an animal person at all before Bear. I loved real bears and always wanted one though my paretns were very against that.  ;D I grew up with horses and dogs and cats but didn't really care for them. Then one day I spotted a Newf. It was love at first site. Bear was my wedding present from Michael and I can't imagine my life without a big ol' slobbery teddy bear ever again.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 03:47:40 am »
I've just always loved dogs!!  My husband was the one that wanted the mastiff and now I can't imagine life without a big dog.  Previously, we had two lab mixes and I grew up with a border collie mix.  Does everyone get tired of the "They must eat a lot!" comment? LOL

henrysmomma

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 03:50:00 am »
Hi all!  I've wanted a big dog since I was little, a cane corso especially. One day when I move to a nice house I plan on adding to my crew (two chis and one English Bulldog) several big dogs. I've looked into everything! Neos, corsos, Berners, great danes....the list goes on! ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 03:51:19 am »
Does everyone get tired of the "They must eat a lot!" comment? LOL

Definately!! I get asked that all the time. Sometimes it makes me want to scream! Pyrs have a slow metabolism, so they don't eat much. I just remember I'm an ambassador to the breed and want people to realize that big dogs are calm and gentle.

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 03:57:37 am »
Does everyone get tired of the "They must eat a lot!" comment? LOL

Definately!! I get asked that all the time. Sometimes it makes me want to scream! Pyrs have a slow metabolism, so they don't eat much. I just remember I'm an ambassador to the breed and want people to realize that big dogs are calm and gentle.

I don't know why people assume that just because a dog is a large breed that it means they eat a bunch!  Our mastiff sometimes skips a meal and it doesn't seem to be a problem.   Our babies are couch potatoes so they shouldn't eat much.  :D  Well...the great dane hasn't reached couch potato status yet, but he will one day!  I HOPE! ;)

Anakalia

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 03:59:32 am »
I had never had any kind of pet growing up.  My parent's were dead set against having any kind of animal in the house.  I've never had a good experience with bigger dogs when I was younger (got bitten by a lab, and many other numerous experiences with big snarling dogs).  So when I was 18 I moved out and had a few cats. lol  Then when I was 19 my boyfriend decided he needed a Husky.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea but she grew on me then decided to run away.  :'(  I vowed I'd never get a big dog again.(Yeah right!) When my daughter was 2 her great aunt bought her a Maltese, and I thought "Oh how adorable this is gonna be great!" YEAH RIGHT!  That dog bites and snarls and is more vicious than any big dog I've ever encountered! 

Well I happend to go into the Animal Shelter one day and I saw the most gorgeous big dog EVER! She was a dane mix, but looked all dane to me!  I wanted her sooooo bad, but I had never done any type of research on the breed.  So I went home that day and started gathering info on the breed and the rest is history.  Since that day I've been infatuated with the giant breed dogs, and the ones I've met since have all be angels!  So I've flipped flopped my thoughts on never wanting a big dog, and now I vow to never ever have another small dog again!  :D

Andi

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:11 am »
I grew up with Belgin Shepards, I also had a pony when I was 2yrs old. So in my case...Nothing has changed 44 years later! Wow I sound boring!
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 05:58:07 am »
I have always loved ALL animals since I was a baby...After Samson & Pippin I must say I am partial to big dogs though...lol.. .When I was around 10 I was attacked by 2 Dobermans when I walked down the street by their house...But ya' know, I don't ever remember even being frightened of big dogs after that...I do remember thinking that they must have been having a bad day....lol!

BabsT

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 06:04:55 am »
Funny you mentioned that...I was attacked by three different GSD's in my life and chased ontop of the roof of a car by 2 white AB's while smaller...neve r once became afraid of dogs lOL