Author Topic: Great Dane Rescuer  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Tonya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Great Dane Rescuer
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:01:50 am »
Hi,
My name is Tonya Williams.I'm really excited to have joined BPO.I rescue Great Danes here in Tennessee.If there is anyone out there that shares similar interests,I would love to hear from them.I have 4 Great Danes of my own.All of them are rescues.That is what prompted me to get involved with doing rescue.I am glad to know there is a place out there for all of us big dog lovers.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dane Rescuer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 03:30:14 am »
Hello, and welcome to BPO.

I don't do rescue work, but would like to start at some point (probably when we stop moving around).  Wow, 4 great danes, that's quite a household.  I currently live with only 2 dogs, my husky/shep mix Keiko, and my great dane puppy Gunther.

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 03:35:33 am »
We are fostering an 18 month old Great Dane!  We'll probably end up adopting him because he is such a good fit.  He's a lot more energetic than most GD's, but he's a doll.  We also have a Fila and an English Mastiff.  All rescues.  I'm new to BPO, too!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 03:36:41 am »
Hi and Welcome to BPO!
This site should come with a WARNING!
May become addicting to the detriment of the plans you had for your life!
I Love This Place!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

henrysmomma

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:39:50 am »
Hi and welcome! Congrats to both of you for great work you are doing rescuing dogs! :D You guys will love it here!

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:42:05 am »
HI and welcome to the group!  I'm Andi and I have a Great Dane named Koby.  He's definitely king of the zooooomies. lol  I rescued him because his previous owners could no longer care for him, which was no problem for me I thank my lucky stars everyday for him!  Once again welcome and I can't wait to hear stories about your furbabies.

Andi

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 03:42:38 am »
That's great you're able to do rescue. Welcome to BPO! This is my great pyrenees named Kiah.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 03:55:47 am »
Hello, this is a great group.....but it is very addicting!  I have a dane pup (Tonka) and my little paws are Bogart and Remington.   ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 04:09:34 am »
Hi Tonya - glad you are here.  That is so great re. the rescue.  I am the mom to Willow - she is almost 5 mos now and about 50 lbs.  She is growing like a weed.  Also have 2 poms (my evil mojos) and 2 teenagers!
Timmie

Offline dogonit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 10:18:03 pm »
Hi, I have also just rescued a 2 year old dane bitch but am in need of help - thought you might have some ideas?! This dog is adorable and obedient with people (children included) but I discovered when walking her at the weekend that other dogs are a different matter! Seriously very frightening, she attacked a medium sized dog completly unprovoked and was definitely trying to kill rather than fight. I also have two cats which she has been chasing but obviously she is not, as I previously thought, having a bit of fun, but will kill one if she catches it. Have you had any experience of these sorts of problems? Do you think there is any hope of training or would it be better to try and rehome her again away from any cats? I had thought of a humane muzzle to stop the other dog problem but that isn't going to help my cats at home!
Any ideas anyone - HELP!!!!!

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 02:20:06 am »
I had a beautiful Dane bitch that was ok with cats (I had 6)  but seriously dog aggressive like yours.  She was obedient on a leash, didn't lunge or pull, but if another dog came running up to us it was impossible to keep her from grabbing it, and if she was off-lead all she had to do was see another dog and her aim was to kill it.  She killed a schnauzer mix that ran up to us on-lead with one chomp, and seriously mauled our neighbor's pit bull (the pit incident was the owner's fault, we were in the fenced yard around our apartment building and he let his dog out to "show me his dog was tougher"-not!) I tried a muzzle, but she was miserable with it on, and didn't want to walk or even move whenever I tried it. I lived in the city, and was lucky enough to find her a home in the country where the people's previous Dane had just passed away.  They had a 10 ft. fence and 6 kids, 'Tasha lived out her life with them as a happy only dog who didn't need to go out and encounter other dogs.
I also had an inveterate cat-killer, best dog I ever had except for that one problem.  She was even out in our yard when our rabbits escaped and she didn't touch them, but she thought cats were food and actually consumed them.  She didn't even look at them when anyone was around, but the minute no one was watching... The solution?  I did without cats for 12 years.

Offline Ethel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Momentum Coaching
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:18:05 am »
We had a Fila, also! I'm happy to see a post about one, because most people have no idea of what a Fila is. Her name was Jezebel and we lost her to stomach cancer two years ago. It about broke our hearts. She was a very special dog in every way and we never stop missing her.

Now we have a rescued Great Dane named Ethel and are very involved with the Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League. That's Ethel's picture with my sig file.

What's your Fila's name?

Later...

Joan
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." --Jack London
===================
Joan Schramm
Momentum Coaching
Executive, Career, Personal Coach
http://www.achieve-momentum.com
coach@achieve-momentum.com
http://blog.achieve-momentum.com/

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:36:16 am »
Hi Tonya, welcome.  You will definitely love it here.  I am mom to Raven my shep mix and Lily who is a dane rescue.  I love her to death and hope to adopt more some day.  Have fun here.

Hi, I have also just rescued a 2 year old dane bitch but am in need of help - thought you might have some ideas?! This dog is adorable and obedient with people (children included) but I discovered when walking her at the weekend that other dogs are a different matter! Seriously very frightening, she attacked a medium sized dog completly unprovoked and was definitely trying to kill rather than fight. I also have two cats which she has been chasing but obviously she is not, as I previously thought, having a bit of fun, but will kill one if she catches it. Have you had any experience of these sorts of problems? Do you think there is any hope of training or would it be better to try and rehome her again away from any cats? I had thought of a humane muzzle to stop the other dog problem but that isn't going to help my cats at home!
Any ideas anyone - HELP!!!!!

Dogonit, I was having similar problems with Lily and BabsT actually helped me out.  Try PM'ng her and asking her about it.  I went from frustrated and scared to confident that Lily and Raven will get along for the most part and it's working out great.  Good Luck with everything.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Spook

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:48:56 am »
Hullo!

welcome to BPO =) glad to have you in the group. I am the mommy of two great pyrenees, a Fila Brasileiro and we foster for the greyhound rescue. We also have two pet rats and six cats.. but i guess those do not really count as "Big" Paws.