Author Topic: Callling all thick coated dog owners  (Read 4847 times)

BabsT

Callling all thick coated dog owners
« on: September 28, 2005, 05:16:05 am »
How do you keep your dogs smelling fresh or less dogggy like without bathing them all the time?  I have have two very thick coated dogs...My baby girl seems to have a musty smell even though she was bathed not to long ago...The both get brushed rather often and to be honest, my older boy Zero really doesnt have a dog smell at all.  Any suggestions

I dont have a huge house 1700sqft and I vacuum all the time along with normal daily house cleaning...I just dont want to be the dog smelling house.

Offline Jeska

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Callling all thick coated dog owners
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 06:36:12 am »
My dog's coat isn't very thick but its very oily. We think she has water dog in her somewhere but her coat does smell and the smell returns a few days after bathing. We bought a doggy deoderant spray to spray on her when special guests who aren't dog people come over. Otherwise we just live with it. She doesn't seem to mind :-p I heard that sprinkling baking soda on the coat and brushing it through is supposed to help control odor. Not sure if it works as I haven't tried it myself. If you do try it though let me know I'll be interested to see if it works.

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 06:36:39 am »
Is there a way to make them smell less "doggy?"   :)  Or even the house less doggy?  Besides febreezing everything in our house, vacuumming, lighting candles, and brushing Roxy EVERYDAY...I still smell something in our house.  I am apparently the only who notices it...my fiancee says I have "dog nose" because I can smell the tiniest thing!  Anyways...we use this grooming spray made by Crazy Dog  "Crazy Dogs like to have fun & smell good too!" is what it says on the bottle!  We get it at Petsmart, and it is a good detangler as well.  I prefer the Pina Colado scent; everyone always says Roxy smells so good when we go on our walks!  My fiancee also brought home the Rainforest scent (yuck) without even whiffing it at the store; personally it's not my favorite.  I think the sprays are by the shampoo section and are about $6-8.  It seems pricy at first, but our bottle has lasted us a while, and Roxy has alot of fur to be sprayed!  After I spray her, I usually give her a quick couple of swipes with her slicker brush and the scent lasts a couple of days.  Hope you find something that works!

Stephanie & Roxy

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 06:39:20 am »
Spotakiss also uses the crazy dog brand but in baby power scent.It seems to work really well.As far as the house goes Im always burning candels so it always smells like cookies.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 06:45:28 am »
Sorry I forgot to add,we also have hard wood floors.Its probably harder to get smells out of carpet than to just wipe the floors down.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 06:52:47 am »
I put just a little baby powder on Sugar Bear & Dixie each day.  Dixie loves for me to baby powder her tummy.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 07:48:57 am »
Unless it has been a while since a bath, I don't mind Bear's smell. I think he smells pretty good actually.  ;D We try to keep the windows open as much as possible to air out the house & do what was mentioned above- vacuum, candles, spay. It works...but nothing beats a great bath!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:14 am »
When we got rid of the wall to wall carpet, the house smelled much better. I have pergo floors with area rugs. Baths about 1x a month. I can usually smell the doggy smell but for the most part unless its rainy it doesn't smell. I just tried some Mane & Tail, its a leave on conditioner for horses. They sell it for people as well now. Its really good for matts & it smells pretty good.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:18:24 am »
I must be lucky, b/c no matter how dirty Keiko gets, she has no doggie odor whatsoever.  But I've heard that's indicative of northern breeds, they just don't get that doggie smell. 

Yay for me!!  Now Gunther on the other hand.......... .............   :P  :P

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 08:18:35 am »
Zoey has a very thick coat, but for some reason she only smells 'like a dog' if she's been playing with other dogs or if it's been over a month since her last bath.
RIP former BPO

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:21:16 am »
Cabeza has a double coat. He's a Chow/Newf mix, so he has some major hair goin' on. But, for some reason, he never smells. Seriously. I've asked everyone, even the most anti-dog smelly people. He has this sort of...wooly smell to him. I probably bathe him once every...2-3 months. (More if he gets into something) I think that bathing him less actually keeps him smelling better. But, maybe that's my opinion.

I've heard great things about the baking soda idea. Never tried it though. I mean, not directly on the dog. I've put it on the carpet and let it sit and vacuumed it up. That works really well.

BabsT

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:36:30 am »
We have hardwood in the majority of the house but I do have one area rug down so the dogs dont have to slide everywhere LOL

My zero has no smell...the she devil...she has a musty LOL

I will try some of that spray...these breeds (CAO &  CO)you arent supposed to bath often... I was told by both the breeder of Zero and the breeder of Misha...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 11:57:52 am »
As I have said before, Tulsa gets to swim in the river 3 times a week, and brushed on the days she doesn't swim. And she doesn't smell 'Doggy'!
I guess I'm just lucky!
Tonight some kids loved on her and said she smelled like a puppy!
I love kids, and Tulsa is learning to love them too!
Whata Life!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:01 pm »
You dont, unless you get the dead undercoat out, and that can only be done by complete comb out using a fine toothed comb
or a high velocity dryer on them every four to six weeks.
the problem with the thick coats compared to tulsa?
tulsa has the typical GSD coat.
the coats we deal with are much thicker, and the dead undercoat needs assistance coming out.
high velocity dryers are an investment worth making.
it saves your wrists and time spent grooming.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 01:32:41 am »
My aussie comes from show lines, so he has this massive fluffy coat compared to working aussies.  I call him my teflon coated dog, because as soon as he's dry the dirt and smell fall off of him!  lol  Though I do use the Mars coat king on him to help thin out his really thick spots, like his pantaloons!  ;)

The only thing I can think of that haven't been mentioned is to make sure she's totally dried off whenever she gets wet at all.  *shrug*  Another thing is, Misha still has her puppy coat so her guard hairs aren't fully in yet.  I'm sure that might have something to do with it also.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.