Author Topic: This bites but Pippin will not be starting obedience classes tomorrow  (Read 10326 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: This bites but Pippin will not be starting obedience classes tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 08:50:52 pm »
I am so very sorry about Hadley. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 08:53:12 pm »
Thanx lesson well learned, and not much is known about polymyosytis, my vet was in close contact with U of Davis, and they dont even know, they said there was a trigger and assume it was the kennel cough.
read the link i inserted in my post.
it is a media briefing that is quite informative.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 09:06:27 pm »
I just read the web-site story.  I am just so very sorry, it sounds like Hadley is a very special soul. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 09:35:14 pm »
My 2 cents.  ;) I think you should just keep him home for a bit. You know how to do some of the training so Pippin will have a head start for the next class. I too am very cautious and wouldnt chance it if I were you. My oppinion.
 Your a good Mommy!!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 09:42:52 pm »
I would opt for class and socializing... . most vets tell people not to take their pups out until they are 4-5 months old, at that point you have lost one of the most vaulauble time periods in a pups life.  I tell people to socialize, socialize and more socialize.. using common sense of course ( only letting pup play with dogs you know are vaccinated, not letting pup walk in a pet store, not letting pup play in a dog park)

SOmeone did send me this link today.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/news/dogflu/Ramanujan.htm
Enjoy, LA
LA & Gang

Anakalia

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 10:10:32 pm »
I just talked to a couple last night that brought home a new puppy. (The neighbors that lost their lab).  They had recently gone to the Animal Shelter looking for a dog, and they were horrified to find out the canine virus has hit there.  The Volunteers there were not giving ANY gaurantee that the dog they would be taking home would have been healthy and they have a lab already at home so they could not take that chance.  The Animal Shelter has already lost a few doggies and they're suspecting it was because of the canine virus. VERY SCARY!!  My neighbors ended up going to a "breeder" that had some mixed breed pups.  So my point is even though my Animal Shelter is 50 miles away from you it doesn't mean that sick dogs won't be showing up in other shelters across Iowa.  I still think you're doing the right thing!

Andi

GR8DAME

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 12:37:11 am »
I would much rather be safe with a healthy puppy than adventurous and sorry with a sick puppy saying "OH, if only I waited." It doesn't matter how well your puppy is socailized if he is too sick to stand up, or God forbid, gone.Too little is known about this virus and it moves way to fast to chance it IMHO. After all, you can accomplish alot training at home until things look a little safer in the dog community. 
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 12:44:14 am »
Thanks everyone...I just spoke directly with the trainer & he said there's been no eveidence that it is here...So, I was considering & then I came & read this thread & decided no again...As far as socialization. ..That is one fo my top priorities with the dogs...They go pretty much everywhere with me & we make special outings just for that purpose...Soci alization is not a real concern here though I always think the more the better...Anywa y, the trainer said they are thinking the virus is some antibiotic resistant strain of bortotella (kennel cough) Both of my dogs are vaccinated for kennel cough so I don't know if the vaccination would cover this new strain too...If that's what it is...Andi, is the shelter where you live?...My Humane Society people in Dubuque would be very interested in knowing...Let me know...k?...TY!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 12:48:36 am »
There is a media release link for you to read, in my first reply to this thread, go read it.
than remember this
the kennel cough shot only covers seven of twenty something strains of kennel cough
my guys even vaccinated, got kennel cough, and this was back in the late eighties and early nineties, even.
the strains have become more resiliant and stronger.
Photography by Christine

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 01:03:29 am »
Puppies and older dogs would be more suseptible if i spelled this correct and depending on your location, i would be cautious
if the pups come into class after a bunch of adults, some adults can be carriers and not show symptoms and pass this on to the pups.
i would be careful and talk to your local vet clinic and find out if any outbreaks have been seen.
so far by me, there is one suspected case.
where there is one, there will be more to follow
Long read, but interesting info for those attending shows or boarding dogs.

Canine Influenza Media Briefing

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t050926.htm

i do err on the side of caution
becouse of how my Hadley was lost.
until you experience a loss such as i did than it is hard to understand.
hadley was 18 months old, and in heat, we attended a ukc match, she contracted kennel cough, and even with the shot you get kennel cough, there are more and more strains and the vaccine only covers seven of twnety something out there.
due to haddie being in heat (of wich she was just coming in and it was early), she got kennel cough, wich turned into polymyosytis, wich killed her, a very fast acting muscle deteriorating disease, my sweet angel was gone in a matter of five months.
a most heartbreaking heartwrenching thing to go thru.
this is not to scare people, but a lesson learned on my part.
when girls cycle, their system is stressed, heat cycles can throw their system for a loop let alone picking up a sickness besides.
hadley story can be seen on my webiste.
harborwindsnew foundlands.hom estead.com
Ty!...I am sorry I missed this on my 1st reading this morning...I wasn't finished with my coffee yet...lol...I am so sorry about the loss of your girl...How awful for both of you...You have my sincerest most heartfelt condolences... .Because the classes are held at our Humane Society I am going to use comman sense which tells me that is not the place for Pippin to be right now...Especial ly if the shelter Andi spoke of has the virus & is only 50 miles from our Humae Society...I'm going to try to get ahold of the shelter Andi talked about as soon as she can give me more info. on who I need to call...Pippin has a spot reserved in the next class already...Hope fully we know more by then...Ty everyone for your input!

Anakalia

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 05:21:08 am »
I'm going to ask the neighbors which Animal Shelter they went to just to be sure, we have 3 or 4 in our area.  Also I'm hoping that they are contacting other shelters letting them know what's going on in this area.  I know they were talking to some Shelter volunteers on the News the other night as well as some vets in our area.  I could be really off here, but I was almost postive the news said the first outbreak reported was from the greyhound park in Dubuque.  UGH!  I hope this virus dies down quickly! :-\  Way to many rumors and it's so hard to figure out what's the actual facts.

Andi

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 05:41:34 am »
Well Gypsy,

Our class got postponed and then canceled. The trainer took off and abandoned Petsmart and her clients. You are fortunate that you have classes available and can make choices. You can take Pippin and Samson everywhere. We live in South Texas. Yesterday in was 100 at 7 p.m. It's considered a cold front when it drops below 82 in the morning. (This is not normal for here, the Hurricanes sucked enough moisture out of our area, so a continual high pressure system.) Can't leave dogs in the car or take them into any stores or businesses, except PetsMart. Since Sapphire came from Minnesota, it has not been easy on her to adjust to the heat, but she still loves to play in the yard in the am and late evening. Her favorite spot is on top of the sprinker. Anyway, Sapphire did get her puppy class completed and we take her to Petsmart weekly to meander around with Sofia while I grocery shop with the other children.

Have you thought about private training?

Deena

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 10:20:03 am »
Hi Deena! :) Well, I don't take them everywhere...I did Samson until the heat of spring hit & then I am again recently because it has cooled down...I know it bites when it is too hot to take thm out!...So, I should have said I have been taking them everywhere again...That was pretty crappy of the trainer at Petsmart to take off like that!...I bet you were miffed!!...I would have been!...I really havevn't thought about private classes...One of the reasons I like the classes is because it is so much fun to be around the others dogs & their people...& because Great Pyrenees can be dog agressive (though I haven't had that problem with either of my guys :) ) I think it is good for them to interact with other dogs...Also, my hubby is the only one who works here & though we are comfortable I don't feel we have the resources to spend on private training...If I had problems with my guys I would do it anyway...I took Samson to private consultations with his trainer before his 2nd puppy class because he did have issues with being excessivly timid but it only took a couple private sessions to teach me how to handle Samson's fears & by the time classes started he was great!...Anyway, I did opt to wait until the next class to start Pippin...I just wasn't comfortable with not knowing exactly what is going on with this virus & that compounded with the fact that I am in Iowa, the class is at the Humane Society & we have a dog track in that town & the fact that my vet didn't even have much info. on the problem & advised me to wait was enough factors for me to decide to wait...I just hope we have more facts about the virus soon!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 09:22:09 pm »
Avtually if you read the media transcript with veterinarian opinions, you will be well armed with knowlege on this, that link is in my first post
so read that all the way thru!
;)
Photography by Christine

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 10:46:10 pm »
Avtually if you read the media transcript with veterinarian opinions, you will be well armed with knowlege on this, that link is in my first post
so read that all the way thru!
;)
I did read it all the way through. :) I guess I am just still feeling unsure because I have just heard about it pretty recently. :-\