Author Topic: Pet Brokers?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Pet Brokers?
« on: September 28, 2005, 02:34:21 pm »
I need a little clarification from those who might be more knowlegable in this area.  Here is how it worked: You find an animal on Petfinders that you really want to know more about.  It says that the animal is from a certain town animal shelter and it is presently in foster care.  If you visit the animal and decide you would like to adopt it, then you are referred to a  rescue group and not the animal shelter. The person from this rescue group tells you that it is great you are interested in this animal and requires a fee to adopt it if you are approved.  The person from the rescue organization even tells you that he/she has never even seen the animal but has seen the photo.  The fee is reasonable and even is supposed to include the spay/neuter fees so you think that is ok.  In other words, $200 fee, half of that includes the neuter fee.  I am a little lost here, should not this be done by the local pound where the animal originally came from or are there brokers out there putting money in their pockets?  Not mad about fees, just am curious. 
Peggy

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: Pet Brokers?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 07:59:12 pm »
I need a little clarification from those who might be more knowlegable in this area.  Here is how it worked: You find an animal on Petfinders that you really want to know more about.  It says that the animal is from a certain town animal shelter and it is presently in foster care.  If you visit the animal and decide you would like to adopt it, then you are referred to a  rescue group and not the animal shelter. The person from this rescue group tells you that it is great you are interested in this animal and requires a fee to adopt it if you are approved.  The person from the rescue organization even tells you that he/she has never even seen the animal but has seen the photo.  The fee is reasonable and even is supposed to include the spay/neuter fees so you think that is ok.  In other words, $200 fee, half of that includes the neuter fee.  I am a little lost here, should not this be done by the local pound where the animal originally came from or are there brokers out there putting money in their pockets?  Not mad about fees, just am curious. 
i know most rescues do charge a small fee, like the florida  retired greyhound adoption, and other adoption agencys. it covers the shots and s/n
this pet finder thing is something to look into,,,,,,,,it just might be the adoption fee, im not sure
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 09:30:12 pm »
We got Strider from an Illinois county animal control office. He recieved no vet care at the "shelter"- no shots, not even wormed, and he had three different kinds of worms in his belly. We paid a $100.00 fee with a spay/nueter agreement, open ended becuase he was so young. We recieved a coupon with the date and the location on the shelter printed on it as well as our information. Once I got him nuetered I sent in a copy of the vet bill as well as the coupon and was supposed to get a $100.00 check from the shelter. I complied and sent all the stuff in in August, and I still haven't recieved anything. I don't really care, Because Strider is worth far more than the money to me, and I would have nuetered him anyway, but don't make promises you're not gonna keep, ya know. 
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:26:18 am »
I've never heard of a rescue being referred to as a broker.  I also think they are covering some of the cost of upkeep for the animal.

Usually when I think of a broker, I am thinking of a go between person for puppymills or byb's.  They are paid a fee to sell the dogs, but don't actually ever see the dogs, they just handle the business end of it.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:05:22 am »
Yes, she told me that she never saw the dog, only the photo.  I believe she is the go between foster people, the humane society and adopters.  That would make her a broker in my book.  She wants me to send her $200 and then she would reimburse me for the neutering.  I do not want to be petty because my interest, of course, is the welfare of this dog. 
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:51:29 am »
I was told by the foster Dad that he had never been reimbursed for neuters he had done for dogs from this rescue group.  He is such a sweet and generous person that it did not matter to him. He goes directly to the pound to pick the dogs up.   Since I have an appointment to have this dog neutered on Oct. 18th after we come back from a trip, I might offer to pay her and deduct the neuter fee.  The foster dad can take the dog in and I can send proof of neuter and make the balance payment.  Does that sound fair?  The rescue group will still have $100 even though they do not seem to take in any animals, just work on the computer.  I do not know how they keep their non-profit status if they do not take any animals into their organization.  But, oh well, I care more about the dog (no name yet).  Cant wait to bring him in. 
Peggy