Author Topic: Has anyone else had this problem?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Has anyone else had this problem?
« on: September 28, 2005, 11:11:37 pm »
Our Great Dane, Apollo, is 18 months old and HIGH energy.  He has destroyed our furniture while we're at work.  Is this normal for a great dane kid?  Our mastiff tore up paper and things when he was a kid, but not the furniture.  Has anyone else had this problem or are we just lucky? ;) 

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else had this problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 11:23:12 pm »
I'd hate to crate him because the other two have full run of the place.  Since we got him, we've started blocking off the kitchen area.  He tries really hard to be a good boy and do what you want him to do, but I think you're right...he gets bored!  At least he's normal!  That's always a good thing to hear.  ;D  Thanks for your help!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:39:01 pm »
It sounds like your pup has a case of seperation anxiety. It is fairly common and a crate might almost make your pup feel more secure when you are away from the house. We had to return to a crate after our little girl decided that tearing up the furniture was a good thing to do. Now, after lots of trianing she is fine to be left out without us fearing the mass destruction. Good luck!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 12:06:59 am »
I have danes and doberman, and always crate until about 2 years. By then the worst of the destructive-gene has usually gone dormant. As for your two that have run of the house, so do two of mine, while the 9 month old is crated. Run of the house is a priveledge that they gain with maturity, IMHO. They come to view the crate as their den, and actually don't mind a bit.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 12:10:36 am »
I had a good friend who had a dane who sounds a bit like yours.  She ended up getting a TON of fabric swatches and leaving them on the floor.  What ever he didn't eat is what she re-covered the furniture in!  They all got used to sitting on Sunbrella fabric on all the indoor furniture! :D :D :D

Offline 3DogMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:23:09 am »
I had a good friend who had a dane who sounds a bit like yours.  She ended up getting a TON of fabric swatches and leaving them on the floor.  What ever he didn't eat is what she re-covered the furniture in!  They all got used to sitting on Sunbrella fabric on all the indoor furniture! :D :D :D

That is hilarious!  I may try that! 

I really appreciate all your help.  Now I won't feel bad crating him.  I was afraid that he'd feel like it was a punishment or something.  Thanks everyone!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 03:34:49 am »
Yeah, I've hear of this issue in danes.  Luckily Gunther has been a dream.  He only once started chewing on the couch, but he was caught in the act, so that stopped quickly.  One other time he started chewing on the corner of the cupboards, but I think that was b/c his bed was there, and the cupboards were right where his head would be.  I moved the bed, and no more chewing.

A friends' dane like to turn all the corners in her house into blunt curves, if you know what I mean.  She ate walls.

I agree confining is the thing to do until he outgrows this.