Author Topic: Need cheaper wormer??? :o)  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Need cheaper wormer??? :o)
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:23:39 am »
I talked this over with my vet and they okayed it.  I am NOT a vet, just passing along info for you to check out yourselves and perhaps save a LOT of money!  :o   

We've lived on 2 different farms the past 8yrs, so we do preventative worming.  Dogs like to eat lots of droppings, mice, moles or whatever they might catch.  I was estatic when I found out about this! LOL 

http://beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm

Make sure to read the entire thing and save it.  Also, Safeguard just put out a doggie version that costs just about as much as the vets'.  Don't fall for it!  lol  It's still the same thing just a different form of the cattle, horse or goat formulas.  Just make sure it says 10% on it.

As a side note, the site mentions ivermectin for heartworm prevention.  Please, please, please if you use this remember it can be DEADLY to collies, shelties, aussies and other collie type breeds!!!!!  A high majority of them have a mutation at the MDR1 gene that allows certain medications to pass through the protective membrane of the brain.  Some other meds that can effect them are immodium, digoxin, ondansetron, many chemotherapeut ic drugs including vincristine, vinblastine, and doxorubicin.  Go here for a better article and means of ordering a test to find out if your collie breed is at risk:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announcements/ivermectin/
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Need cheaper wormer??? :o)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:13:41 am »
any idea how much each ml of Safe-Guard weighs? or... how many mg of the 10% suspension should be fed per canine lb? because i REALLY don't need 1 LITRE of dewormer for 2 dogs...  :o

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 06:31:45 am »
Also remember Safeguard does NOT take care of tapeworm that come from fleas (the most common kind)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:18:35 pm »
I talked this over with my vet and they okayed it.  I am NOT a vet, just passing along info for you to check out yourselves and perhaps save a LOT of money!  :o   

We've lived on 2 different farms the past 8yrs, so we do preventative worming.  Dogs like to eat lots of droppings, mice, moles or whatever they might catch.  I was estatic when I found out about this! LOL 

http://beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm

Make sure to read the entire thing and save it.  Also, Safeguard just put out a doggie version that costs just about as much as the vets'.  Don't fall for it!  lol  It's still the same thing just a different form of the cattle, horse or goat formulas.  Just make sure it says 10% on it.

As a side note, the site mentions ivermectin for heartworm prevention.  Please, please, please if you use this remember it can be DEADLY to collies, shelties, aussies and other collie type breeds!!!!!  A high majority of them have a mutation at the MDR1 gene that allows certain medications to pass through the protective membrane of the brain.  Some other meds that can effect them are immodium, digoxin, ondansetron, many chemotherapeut ic drugs including vincristine, vinblastine, and doxorubicin.  Go here for a better article and means of ordering a test to find out if your collie breed is at risk:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announcements/ivermectin/

omg   nooooooooooooo
please  use ONLY 1% ivomec oraly  1 cc per 110 lbs, not 10 %
it is way too strong for dogs, since it is a cattle wormer.
i have always used ivomec, for all worms and to prevent heart worm, monthly,,,, dogs over 3 months and weigh your dog, so the corect dose is right, just please rember  1 cc ORALY, per 110 lbs :o
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:07:38 am »
Any ideas on a natural or less expensive wormer for tapeworms?
We've had to treat 3 times now at $70 a pop, from the boys eating rabbit poop in the back yard.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
We used Strongid-T to get rid of Bubba's tapeworms. It works pretty good, but you need to treat twice. Although I didn't see anymore segments after the first dose. The bottle cost me $21 canadian from my vet. Dosage was 1ml per 10 pounds. And there was enough in the bottle to treat Bubba 4 times at 120 pounds.