Author Topic: A question about those Training collars, sometimes called "Choke chains"  (Read 11591 times)

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
I went to my neighbors to take Lily (a small Beagle, born in November. )  out today while her mom was at work. To my surprise she was in her kennel with one of those choke chain type traing collars on, the kind with the prongs.  ???  It is so tight I couldn't believe it!

I guess my neighbor does not know those are only to be worn while training/ walking.
Well; I took Lily out for a walk, then brought her back to my house to see if I could get it off of her, as I was worried about leaving her, like that. It was so tight there's no way I could get it off!
Is there some kind of trick to it?

After she and Hannh played a bit, I just took her home and returned her to her kennel.  :-[ :-\
If I figure out how to get it off, though, I'll go back and do that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:16:09 am by 4everblu »
Please Visit "The Spotted Dog" for  Personalized Doggie signatures and graphics.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourdogs/start

GR8DAME

Re: A question about those Training collars, sometimes called "Choke chains"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:46:55 am »
It comes apart at the joint of every link, if it is a pinch or prong collar. There has to be enough play in the collar so you can slide the prongs out of the loops formed by the next link in the collar. Please, I cannot encourage you enough to go back and remove the collar and speak to your neighbors in a constructive manner about not using that type of collar for anything other than supervised, on leash training. I  have been using pinch colars on my dogs for training for 17 years, and cannot stress enough how dangerous to the animal it is to leave this collar on all of the time. Encourage them to get a buckle collar, either nylon which is cheaper and can come with a quick release or adjustable for growth, or a leather rolled or flat collar for everyday use. Although it has never happened to any of mine, there have been instances of even these collars becoming caught on wire cages and causing a problem, so some people opt for no collar at all when their dogs are confined and unsupervised. Please please please help this poor guy out before something does happen.
 :'( Stella

Offline Willow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:01:32 am »
This type of collar is called a "pinch" or "prong" collar and has to be fairly tight to be effective, but you should be able to get one finger depth between a prong and the skin. 

This type of collar should never be left on the dog when it it alone and I hope you can impress on the owner the dangers of doing this if the collar were to get caught on something.  It could seriously injure the dog or choke it to death

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:43:25 am »
What a great idea, Jenn! I have even kept collars that mine have outgrown and given them to people "just to try", you know. I have rarely gotten them back and I could care less, as long as they are being used, and properly!
Stella

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:10:20 am »
I made a quick video & also close up pix of how to open & close a prong collar for you.  :)  Just don't mind the fat fingers and Jay's messy desk.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=OofjDHdUB7g

As everyone else already said, they are NOT to be left on a dog.  Collars in a pen unattended are dangerous enough, a prong collar is even worse especially one that is way too tight.  :(

They should not be too tight or nor too loose either.  The WHOLE purpose of a prong collar is for it to be self correcting.  If it is too tight that means the dog is in a state of constant correction.  If it is to loose it can scratch and hurt their neck from sliding around.

I think the idea of a flat buckle collar gift is good.  It gives the hint while saving face.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 05:56:07 am »
There is an easier way!
John
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 05:59:59 am by Tulsas' Dad »
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 06:15:22 am »
:D
 Â  Oh that's sooooo nice of you to do that!! :-*

[/size]I'll go help her.

I talked to her mom. She said her hubby can fix it when he gets home, but I think I'll go loosen it now.
Because he won't be home for about 4 more hours.

She said the Dog behaviorist that they took her to gave that to them, for her, because she pulls and turns around and around when she's on the lead. ( like a crocodile does with it's prey) I told her they need to take it off when not in use, she didn't know that!

I hope they won't leave her wearing it like this anymore. 
You are so thoughtful, thanks
Please Visit "The Spotted Dog" for  Personalized Doggie signatures and graphics.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourdogs/start

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 06:24:32 am »
Welcome!
Hannah is Beautiful!
Tulsa and John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 06:35:43 am »
The collar as a gift is a nice idea,  I think I'll do that.
 :oI know they should not be left on.  Imagine my horror when I found her like that! 

The delicate sittuation of telling people something like this is a bit like telling someonelse how they should discipline and raise their kid.  I want to be forcefull enough to make my point, yet tactfull enough to not loose them as friends.  They live next door that could be awkward.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 06:46:40 am »
Thanks for the welcome, and the compliment.
You are pretty lovely, yourself, Tulsa  ;)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 08:55:07 am »
My boys wear prongs for walking, but no collars when no one is home.  They went naked when they were crated, now that they have free run of the house they wear harnesses 24/7 so I have a "handle" if I need one.  They're tight enough to catch or guide them, but if they pull back hard enough (like if they were caught) they can back out of them. 
I like the Premier harness, it has two buckles at the shoulders, so you can put it on over their heads and buckle it, you don't have to have them "step in".

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 10:17:32 am »
4everblu, it sounds like you have the situation in control, and I am so glad you were able to step in without creating any animosity. That is half the battle, because most of the tradgic things that happen are because the owners either don't know any better, or just don't think. Unless someone like you that cares enough to make a difference can intervene, they never learn any different. I'm sure that little beagle would thank you.

John, that little gadget is cool.I've never seen it before, and I'd love to get one for my Mom. She had polio and has diminished strength in her right hand and has a hard time fastening the prong collar on her shepard. It would make things much easier for her. Can I ask where you got it?
Stella

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 10:21:58 am »
As soon as Tulsa is "in the building" the prong comes off.
I, sometimes, will take her out with her flat collar. And she does fine, but that is usually late at night, without a lot of distractions. She still has issues with skateboarders, don't we all, that's my next challenge. We have a skate park near here so we will be going there soon.
Question: Does dog POOP make good bearing grease?

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 11:08:01 am »
Petsmart.
Mine was a gift from my friend Randy.
I can't imagine any of them would have any other type of connection.
But that is what I would look for.
Quick release, and freedom!
John

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
I think i am going to have to get one of the pinch collars for when Willow is out on a lead.  She is getting big and pulling has become a bit of an issue.  otherwise we use a harness.  And while at home - no collar or anything.