Author Topic: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!  (Read 24650 times)

nickerbokker

looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:27:15 pm »
hey yall.  my sista is lookin for a blue dane girly, and i told her i would post here and see if i came up with any great leads!  if you know of WONDERFUL breeders, who have good lines, and a big heart when it comes to their own animules, please let me know!  she will travel.

nicks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 07:53:43 pm »
hey yall.  my sista is lookin for a blue dane girly, and i told her i would post here and see if i came up with any great leads!  if you know of WONDERFUL breeders, who have good lines, and a big heart when it comes to their own animules, please let me know!  she will travel.

nicks
go to the great dane club of the usa or your local akc club
alwaways the internet

do reserch  make sure all the parents were hip/elbow scored be for you buy

if you are looking for a wonderful pet,,,,,,,,,,please adopt
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Blair

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 08:12:27 pm »

She should also realize that very few good breeders seek out the breeding of dilute colored animals because of the issues that are linked to these colors.

Her best bet would be to look for an excellent breeder, and let the color chips fall where they may.

JMO of course....

What do you mean? Blue danes are AKC accepted and are shown. SO why wouldnt a Good Breeder bred a Blue?

Blair

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 08:28:19 pm »
Interesting I didnt know that. I have seen a lot of Blue dane breeders breeding to just get blues. And also seen some CH Blues that I didnt realize they werent good to bred. Not that I know anything about breeding let alone blues, I am more of a Harl, mantle, merle kinda of girl LOL

Back to the post. I have seen a few nice looking Blue danes in Rescue, maybe your sister could rescue? If not maybe she could go to a dog show and check out some breeders there?

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 08:33:35 pm »

This is an excellent article about color and color inheritance in danes.

http://www.chromadane.com/2004CoatColor.htm
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 10:09:28 pm »
Hi nickerbokker, I can tell you that finding an ethical blue dane breeder will be a challenge, there are a lot of BYBs that breed blues.

From my experience, you don't find a lot of blue danes because they are difficult to produce.  They can inherit problems such as color dilution alopecia http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/colour%20dilution%20alopecia.htm , but you can drastically reduce your chances of this disorder by finding an ethical breeder.

First, I would start with the Great Dane Club referrals.  This won't guarantee an ethical breeder, but you can eliminate the majority of BYBs that way.

Second, know what questions to ask.  Any breeder that acts offended or tries to make you feel ridiculous for trying to do your homework is a waste of time, move on to another.  Here are some helpful links:

The first is sorting through breeders and weird websites:
http://www.angelfire.com/anime/gdrsw/sortbreeders.html

The second is a 'Buyer Beware', if you scroll down you get a list of 'Do's and Don't's':
http://www.angelfire.com/anime/gdrsw/buyerbeware.html

The last two are websites containing information on suspended breeders. The first is an out of date list on Dane breeders(although some of the suspensions are still in-force):
http://www.angelfire.com/anime/gdrsw/greatdanewatchdog.html

And this one is the AKC suspension index, all breeds, by breeder last name.
http://www.barkbytes.com/suspend/suspindx.htm

This is also a good resource for finding a good breeder:
http://www.danemist.com/ABCs/

Good luck with the search, if you have any questions or need help please feel free to contact me any time! :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 10:10:24 pm by GreatDanz »
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 10:40:12 pm »
Sorry the only good blue breeders I know of are across the ocean.  :(  I have to agree that most of the blue breeders here are BYBs because the color is so hard to get.  The more unusual the color, the more people want it, the more money the BYBs get.  Go to the www.GDCA.org site, and also you can try www.danesonlin e.com  They have breeders listed by color there.  There are alot of good ones, but there are some unsavory ones there as well.  Make sure she knows what questions to ask.  Ironically DOL has lots of posts regarding that issue as well :)  Just beware.  The people there bite!

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 10:45:16 pm »
I'm on DOL quite often, there is more knowledge on that board than you will find anywhere else.

Give it a go, they aren't mean, just brutally honest sometimes.

You can search the archives for advice on picking a blue, there are tons of threads out there on this very subject.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 04:08:50 am »
This is gonna sound really bad since I have a blue, but I don't know any good blue breeders either!  I searched for over a yr to find a reputable breeder and ended up getting Koby, because his previous owners could no longer care for him.  I know of a few really good breeders in Austrailia and Europe but that's about it.  Rescue might be the best option.

Andi

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:23:57 am »
Stupid question...are dark grey charcoal colored danes considered blues?  When I live in Manhattan there was the most gorgeous pair of matched dark charcoal danes in my neighborhood.  They were GORGEOUS!!!

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 05:11:59 am »
she is not looking for a blue breeder....jus t dane breeders that give a crap about their animals.  she wants to get on waiting lists for a blue, so when one comes along....she can have it.  how stupid this sounds i dunno......

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 05:17:10 am »
Dane breeders specialize in color families.  At least the good ones do.  So if you want a certain color dog you have to go to a breeder taht produces them.  A fawn breeder won't have Harls, and a blue breeder wont' have brindles.  USUALLY the color families fall like this, Fawn and Brindle, Mantle and Harl, Black and Blue.  Sometimes Black breeders deal with fawns too. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 08:38:14 am »
Before I decided to adopt, I did extensive research on blues and found only one reputable breeder in the USA.  I have talked emailed checked references and so on and found them to not be BYB's but highly sought after breeders.  There is a long waiting list so be prepared.  A breeding has just occured this past week and the results should be known in the next few weeks.  The dam was actually bred to an australian sire that was flown in for the specific purpose of this breeding.  If you are willing to pay the money and answer about a gajillion questions from the owner, you could own one as soon as January.  Her name is Kim and she is of eastwood danes.  You can research her at eastwooddanes. com   Best of luck in your search.  But I would ask you to consider adoption.  There are currently 3 blues at the MAGDRL.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline Gin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:14:55 pm »
I'm might not reflect the opinion of the majority, but there are reputable Blue breeders around.  Doing your homework and visiting breeders is your best bet.  Danes Online is a good resource, they screen who put ads there.  Reputable breeders will always have Blacks in Blue lines, no one wants CDA.  Reputable breeders also produce Blues, I don't quite understand why someone would think the opposite.  I suggest checking out Coleridge Great Danes.  Good luck in the search and definitely share pictures.  :)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 12:28:13 am »
DOL does not screen breeders who put ads on their site.
-Ericka