Author Topic: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!  (Read 24655 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 01:04:43 am »
DOL does not screen breeders who put ads on their site.

Yeah unfortunately :( It's a good place to find breeders but you still need to do your research.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Bedhogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 12:18:38 am »
"blues and found only one reputable breeder in the USA"  "A breeding has just occured this past week and the results should be known in the next few weeks.  The dam was actually bred to an australian sire that was flown in for the specific purpose of this breeding.    Her name is Kim and she is of eastwood danes"

What makes you think Kim is the only reputable breeder in the states,I in fact have been to her site and the so called incredible pairing your talking about is not good.I wouldn't take a pup from it,after my extensive research.
 The female is a black,who's grandpa is a fawn being bred to a blue male who has multiple Harlequin's close in his pedigree.Thats not colour breeding at all. Not even a good option,I can understand Fawn's in a blacks pedigree but harl's in a blues ped,really close?
  Try looking harder for your so called only reputable breeder in the USA.
      Kari

Offline Eastwood Danes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 05:50:28 am »

Kari,
 I do not know who you are other then someone who caused a lot of trouble on some of the other Dane list a while back, but you do not know what you are talking about with my Danes and I won't stand idle by while you attempt to trash me.
 For your information, Blue bred to Harl is perfectly acceptable in AU and Blue Harls can be shown there. You know nothing of color breeding or you wouldn't be making statements about Harl being in Indy's pedigree. For one there are not 'several'. Second, the Harl will be 3 generations back from the pups. Third, Blue bred to Blue is only going to produce blue unless both dogs carry for fawn. I am not going to get any 'mismarks' in this breeding. Fourth, It is a nice breeding despite your uneducated bashing of it. Your 'extensive' research has taught you nothing! If you want to look for something a miss in a breeder program, check out your own backyard! If you have a beef with me, feel free to send me a private message at eastwooddanes@yahoo.com I would advise you to keep your un-educated comments about me or any other breeder to yourself. :)
Kim Eastwood
www.eastwoodda nes.com
www.giantdogbe d.com

Offline Eastwood Danes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 06:24:18 am »
"She should also realize that very few good breeders seek out the breeding of dilute colored animals because of the issues that are linked to these colors."

This is totally false. Blue myths like this have been flying around for eons. The truth is that Blue Danes do not have any more issues then any other color of Danes. There are many reputable breeders who 'seek' to breed the beautiful Blue Dane and have done so healthfully and successfully for many many years. It's a bit more challenging then breeding the fawns as there are not as many to choose from in quality studs. But where there is a will there is a way! :)
Kim Eastwood
www.eastwoodda nes.com
www.giantdogbe d.com

Offline Eastwood Danes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 08:11:17 am »
Thank you for the compliment on Heidi. I am very proud to be her breeder.
I am new to the board. I was alerted by several people that Kari had some negative things to say about my breeding program so I had to come and set the record straight. LOL
 Cross color breeding is a touchy subject with some and there are breeders who refuse to do it. This does not make it wrong when someone else chooses to cross color breed.  I could care less that there is soon to be a Harl 3 generations back in my pedigree. I'll never see it in a breeding as it won't cause me to produce mismarks or Harls. Impossible!Not to mention... She happened to be a beautiful Harl and proved to be a very important, valuable and contributing to Indy's pedigree. If Kari has a problem with that, it sure isn't my problem!
 Heidi for instance came from a breeding of black to black. We knew Hieidi's dam carried blue because her mother was blue. We knew the sire we chose had the potential to carry blue because his grand dam was blue. We knew they BOTH had the potential to carry fawn since they share the same great grandfather who was fawn. What I got was 8 pups, 5 Black, 2Blue and 1 fawn boy born last!! It was interesting and educational to find out that A... the sire carried for blue!! B. they both carried for fawn. Do I care that I got the fawn? No, why should I? No harm done!!  I don't have a single regret for the breeding. I have produced one of the most beautiful blue bitches I have ever seen from it! She is just starting her show career. I'll keep you posted!
 There is a beautiful blue bitch that was in the top 20 for a long time. Her sire. FAWN!! When it comes to cross color breeding you can take it or leave it, But don't knock it til you try it!! :)
Kim Eastwood
www.eastwoodda nes.com
www.giantdogbe d.com
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 09:33:29 am by Eastwood Danes »

Offline Bedhogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 11:29:16 am »
Kim,I said I wouldn't take a puppy from it,I didn't say it wasnt your choice to do the breeding. When talking about colour I am not talking about pratice in AU,because I don't live there and to be honest the Au standard and show practices are not what matters to me.
 I don't care what you do,its your choice,however I don't feel its fair for you to be called the only reputable blue breeder in the US,simply stating my opinion.
  Every breeder makes their own choice about the pairs they want to create,so they do it if you feel you want to,I don't own your dogs and don't decide the breeding pairs. Its your choice and your puppies.
 I do know enough to have formed my own opinions and will continue to do so,and I didn't in fact knock your dogs,didn't even say your a bad breeder,I just said I wouldn't take a pup from that pairing,again my choice,we all have our own choices.
  By the way,I didn't cause a problem on any dane list,I spoke my opinion and was very badly misheard and misunderstood,which happens more often then not. I don't care to fight and thats not what this is about. I am in this for the same thing I hope all people are,for the betterment of the dogs.
 Good luck with your dogs,one thing I do have to say is that most of your dogs have great turn of stifle which I find a wonderful assest.
 Kari

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 11:39:59 am »
OK, first of all, I'm the one bedhogs has beef with.  I did not say that eastwood danes is the "only" reputable" blue breeder in the USA.  I said I found them to be the only reputable breeder that I've found for me.  I've corresponded with Kim, and she is very informed.  I was giving advice to someone who asked for names of good breeders.  I don't know why you're getting so touchy.  My idea of a good breeder may be different from your opinion of a good breeder.  But that doesn't make your comments justified.  My opinion is that eastwood danes is the most reputable blue dane breeder in the USA.  You don't have to follow my opinion.  But don't bash Kim because you have beef with me.  We come here to share our opinions and share advice.  Not to bash each other.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline Gin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 11:45:59 pm »
Lovely dogs Eastwood! 

In my research in Danes, I've seen many lovely dogs come from "non-color pure" breedings, the thing is, if the breeder is working with a geneticist, and are taking all precautions, and are responsible for what they produce, they aren't doing anything wrong.  Danes used to come in every color, we just whittled it down to a basic six, and look, we still have more than the basic six!  You can't throw away a correct animal based on color alone.  Just my opinion!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:35 am »
You can't throw away a correct animal based on color alone.  Just my opinion!

If a dane isn't the correct color, it's not correct period.  The standard clearly states what is acceptable. 

I agree though that this does not eliminate cross color breeding for benefits of physical conformation and health.

And of course, one should certainly be familiar with other country standards before they criticise!  :D
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Gin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 12:37:10 am »
You are right, if the dog isn't the correct color, it's not correct, however I stated that wrong. 

I meant you can't throw out the idea of crossing color families for improvement.  I'm sorry if I confused you.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 12:42:31 am »
Then we agree!  ;D

Though I think it was more a matter of the point not being clearly stated, but who's keeping track?   ;)
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 02:32:57 am »
ok question off topic sort off but not really cause its about colour.  how much white can a black have before it's not a black and its considered a 'mantle' or 'boston'.  my girl has white tipped toes a small flash of white on the chest and white spots on the inside back of her paws that you can't see in pics.  so black or 'mantle/boston' ? not that i care shes still my beautiful moster baby anyways just courious

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 02:56:20 am »
hmm don't really know the answer to this but my brothers dane is black except foron her paws there is some white and on her chest too.  I am just guessing but I would think that as long as there is just a little bit of white, like you described then it would still be considered black. But I am just guessing.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 03:59:21 am »
ok question off topic sort off but not really cause its about colour.  how much white can a black have before it's not a black and its considered a 'mantle' or 'boston'.  my girl has white tipped toes a small flash of white on the chest and white spots on the inside back of her paws that you can't see in pics.  so black or 'mantle/boston' ? not that i care shes still my beautiful moster baby anyways just courious

Your baby would be considered a mismark black.  Think of a Mantle as a white dog with a black blanket thrown over their back and their head is black with a white blaze. Their legs, chest and stomach are white.  She's still very cute though :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GR8DAME

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 05:57:26 am »
For a mantle, think Boston Bull Terrier or holstien cow LOL. All three have the same color pattern. Some white I think is acceptable in a black, it depends on the size and location of the spots of white.
Stella