Author Topic: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!  (Read 24549 times)

GR8DAME

Re: looking for a blue female dane......from GREAT breeder!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 06:01:36 am »
Merlin is a mantle, but he actually almost has too much white for show quality, according to his breeder. The best pics I could find were puppy ones.
Stella

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 06:30:04 am »
Tonka is a Mantle:

I am kind of a big deal!

Blair

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 06:59:46 am »
I think Merlin has just the right markings for show, but then again I perfer mantles marked like him. I rather see more white on mantles then black for showing. Not saying all mantles arent beautiful  ;) I think Tonka is a doll. :) Here is my mantle Boy, George [RIP :'( ]

GR8DAME

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 11:49:54 am »
Personally, I think he's perfect too, but I may be biased. ::)  Allow me to digress a little, bit check this dane out--also named Merlin. He is on petfinders as a reverse blue merle. I thought I had seen every color variation, but this one floored me.
Stella
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4770812&adTarget=&SessionID=43500f5c195a3a4e-app2&display=&preview=1&row=75&tmpl=&stat=

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 11:52:45 am »
Is that a pure dane?  I have heard of a new color combo called a chocolate merle.  Maybe that's what it looks like.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 08:49:08 pm »
Allow me to digress a little, bit check this dane out--also named Merlin. He is on petfinders as a reverse blue merle. I thought I had seen every color variation, but this one floored me.
Stella

Stella, I have joined you on the floor! Wow--that is a bizarre looking boy, but he is a cutie! I'm puzzled by what they call that coloration, too. Reverse? Blue? OK, merle I can understand.

Which brings me to another question. Why do so many people refer to merle danes as "blue merle"? I had danes and knew lots of dane people for about ten years before I heard this term used, and now it's fairly common. I know other breeds use the term, but it's never been a part of the GDCA terminology. I suppose people who have had other breeds with blue merle coloration were the instigators. However, given that our breed does have a blue coloration and merles seldom have the color of a blue dane, it seems particularly confusing. A merle is a merle. For that matter, even terms like "merlequin" or "mantle-marked merle" seem a little superfluous, but at least they make sense.

Holly

I've seen many danes called blue merle that didn't have blue coloring, but I see a lot of blue in Lily.  Where did the term merle come from?

GR8DAME

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 08:58:29 pm »
lol, Laural Grove. Say it? I don't think I could type it fast!
I also question if he is a full dane-Maybe dane and lab, and that is where that chocolate color come in. Strider's color is off too, sort of a grey/taupe/tan/sand with black splashes and white spots... Have you ever seen a harbour seal... That 's it , I have a mismarked mantle harbor sealdane!
Stella

GR8DAME

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 09:04:54 pm »
I think Laurel G. hit the nail on the head. I think the term Merle came from other breeds, like the Aussie for example. In danes it has come to mean the random marbling pattern of  several different colors. Lily and Mr Grey are exactly what comes to my mind when someone says Blue Merle.
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 10:39:41 pm »
Danes have some of the most complex genes in the animal world in regard to coloration.  Merle isn't a coloration gene as much as a mask.  A dog with a black base would be gray with black spots, a dog with a fawn base would be light brown with dark chocoate spots, a TRUE blue merle would be pale gray with blue spots (And the nose leather would be different).  Think of if you wear a tank top, and you put a shear spotted top over it.  The color would change a bit, and the color would be different for every shirt. 

Blue Merle probably came from Aussies, as they often have red merles, and this differentiates between the two.  The reason that the *Gray* merles are the most common is that they're from the Harl family.  Harls are black as a base color with a Harlequin gene over them.  That's why sometimes you get fawnequins (Like Darling Mattie) or "Bluequins".  Their base colors are different.  If you get a fawnequin or a Bluequin in the litter it's very possible that you'll get a chocolate or a TRUE blue merle.  It's a reason why the color code is in place and why (As you've seen in this thread) that cross color breeding can be so controversial.  It DOES happen to good breeders, and it does happen to purebred dogs.     ;D
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:10 pm »
So what would you say Lily is then?  And what is a Boston Merle?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 10:52:58 pm »
Lily is a straight merle, with a black base.  (Notice her nose leather is black.  If she was a Blue, which is Black diluted it would be paler, look at Anikalia's avatar for a great nose shot of her blue bly Koby).  A Boston Merle is the same thing as a Mantle Merle.  Perfect Example would be Mr Grey.  On top of the Merling gene there's a Mantle Gene.  (Dane Genes can stack up pretty high :P )  There can also be Merlequins which is a Merle with a Harl gene.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:54:05 pm by Anky »

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2005, 10:57:09 pm »
WOW, that's a lot to swallow. lol. I guess there are a lot of colors.  I don't care what Lily's color is called.  She's just pretty in my opinion.  :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 10:57:28 pm »
Thanks, Ang. I never knew there was a chocolate in danes that naturally occured. That's one of the reasons I love it here. I like to get edumacated.
Lilysmom, a boston merle is a merle that has the coat pattern of the boston or mantle, with the white over the shoulders, legs etc., instead of just being solid merle.
The genetic color variations in the danes is just facinating!
Stella

Anakalia

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2005, 11:01:50 pm »
WOW, that's a lot to swallow. lol. I guess there are a lot of colors.  I don't care what Lily's color is called.  She's just pretty in my opinion.  :)

I do agree!!  Lily is awesomelicous!  lol

Andi

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 11:02:44 pm »
This has a few Dane color variations, honestly though, the combinations are infinite.

http://hometown.aol.com/greatdanerescue/colors.html