Author Topic: Solid Gold - Green Tripe can food?  (Read 14881 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Solid Gold - Green Tripe can food?
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:15:52 pm »
I have had several people tell me that green tripe is good for dogs.  As many of you know I have been having issues with Sugar Bear have very soft stool for the past few months. Yesterday I found Solid Gold Green Tripe can food.  I just added  a little to his food this and he loved it.  Is this something I should add daily?  Is it ok for Dixie to have green tripe even if her tummy is fine? 

Sugar Bear is on daily lactobacillus-Acidophilus. I just got some Slippery Elm capsules. Do I just open the capsules and put it on his food on give him the capsules to take?  Should I give him the adult dose of 6 per day (400 mg.)?  I also picked up  some Solid Gold D-Zyme Powder.  I though I would add one item to the food for a few days before I and the next.  Is there anything else I should be adding to his food to firm up his stool.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Solid Gold - Green Tripe can food?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:22:51 pm »
I have had several people tell me that green tripe is good for dogs.  As many of you know I have been having issues with Sugar Bear have very soft stool for the past few months. Yesterday I found Solid Gold Green Tripe can food.  I just added  a little to his food this and he loved it.  Is this something I should add daily?  Is it ok for Dixie to have green tripe even if her tummy is fine? 

Sugar Bear is on daily lactobacillus-Acidophilus. I just got some Slippery Elm capsules. Do I just open the capsules and put it on his food on give him the capsules to take?  Should I give him the adult dose of 6 per day (400 mg.)?  I also picked up  some Solid Gold D-Zyme Powder.  I though I would add one item to the food for a few days before I and the next.  Is there anything else I should be adding to his food to firm up his stool.

Lisa

My guys love green tripe, I buy it fresh from here: http://store.yahoo.com/aplaceforpaws/index.html

When Mickey has diarrhea, I give him ONE capsule and it works almost too well.   ;D
I would start with one and work your way up.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:36:00 pm »
Thanks guys.  Ok, I will start with one Slippery Elm.  I was giving them  yogurt up until about 2 months ago. Thinking that may be what is not working for him I stopped.   I am trying everything I can think of the help Sugar Bears tummy. I love the idea of adding salmon, do you just use the can stuff? 

Lisa

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:04:28 pm »
Lisa, we've been using the stuff in the foil-like packs.  Couldn't afford the other stuff at $5-6/lb :)  I'm thinking we might cut down on some of the salmon and start adding fish oil tablets instead.. just want him to get the omega 3.

So uhm.. what does the can of green tripe look like when you open it?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:07:15 pm »

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!

DO NO OPEN TRIPE OF ANY KIND INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.

The dogs do love it, and it is a super food for them, but godelreeso, does it ever STEEEEEEEENK!!!!!
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:09:47 pm »

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!

DO NO OPEN TRIPE OF ANY KIND INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.

The dogs do love it, and it is a super food for them, but godelreeso, does it ever STEEEEEEEENK!!!!!

Boy is that right!!!!

If any of you live in a farming community, you'll know the smell.  It's like when the farmers spray the fields with poop to fertilize,  :-X.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

BabsT

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 11:12:54 pm »
I have 25 pounds of ground tripe in my freezer....i finally found a place to get it rather cheap $.60/lb  in 5lb tubes..local farmers  I will say...DOGS GO GAGA FOR TRIPE...

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 11:23:18 pm »
The Solid Gold can green tripe food looking like pea soup with chunks.  Hold you breath when you mix it with kibble.  I now know I will do just about anything for Sugar Bear.  He loved it.  Dixie picked up her dish and took it to her bed to finish licking it. Everything I read on-line give it very high marks.  I have 6 cans so I am just going to add a little to each meal.  I guess if it is good for them I can stand the smell.  Not sure I could stand the smell of the fresh, the can is bad enough.

Lisa

Lisa, we've been using the stuff in the foil-like packs.  Couldn't afford the other stuff at $5-6/lb :)  I'm thinking we might cut down on some of the salmon and start adding fish oil tablets instead.. just want him to get the omega 3.

So uhm.. what does the can of green tripe look like when you open it?

BabsT

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 11:25:07 pm »
Put it this way, i defrost it in the basement and feed it outside LOL...fresh tripe smells horrid...but the dogs LOVE it and it is excellent for them

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 03:15:54 am »
I just started using slippery elm with Kiah. I put 1 tablespoon on her food once a day. It's very safe for them. You can't overdose it. I would start with one to get them used to it. I bought the powder because it's cheaper then the pills. Once Sugar Bear is used to it then you can give a pill or tablespoon with each meal. Good luck and I hope you find what works with your doggy.

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 04:16:15 am »
Slippery Elm is awesome, I only use it when I have a dog with upset tummy, but it works like a miracle!

Jackson's Upset Tummy Recipe (from my late great dog who had chronic tummy issues)

1 can Pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!!!)
1 can Chicken Broth
3 capsules Slippery Elm
3 capsules Marshmallow
1 spoonful yogurt

melt capsules in chicken broth over low heat, add pumpkin and stir, pour in bowl and add dollup of yogurt, serve with garnish of parsley ;)

If humans have an upset tummy, make the same thing, but add salt.  It's delicous and works!

I've found the best way to get Omega's is Flax seed oil, mixed with yogurt or cottage cheese.  If you serve it by itself it can give 'em the runs :o

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 04:44:14 am »
Now I have to go get marshmallow caps.  What do it do? 

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 05:03:16 am »
Similar to the Slippery Elm, but if I remember correctly it is both good for the runs and constipation.. .go figure.

The reason I add the Marshmalow is because when I first heard about the recipe, I could buy the powder loose and it had both herbs in it.  I know that Marshmallow is one of those things that coats the digestive tract.

T

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 05:24:01 am »
Thanks Summer,  I have printed "Jackson's Upset Tummy" recipe  and plan to give it a try.  Sugar Bear has had some of the green tripe and so far his tummy is doing fine today.  I would just love to find something that would firm up his stool just a little.  I can't get him to eat pumpkin, if I add it to his food he will not eat the food.

Lisa

Similar to the Slippery Elm, but if I remember correctly it is both good for the runs and constipation.. .go figure.

The reason I add the Marshmalow is because when I first heard about the recipe, I could buy the powder loose and it had both herbs in it.  I know that Marshmallow is one of those things that coats the digestive tract.

T

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 05:29:26 am »
Bummer about not eating Pumpkin as it's one of the best things in the world for upset tummies.

I'm so lucky with Summer, she eats everything (luckily not dog poop!) and never gets an upset tummy.  Actually her tummy is pretty much cast iron.

Papaya extracts are good for horses with ulcers...I wonder if it's good for doggies too???