Author Topic: Cooking your dogs food?  (Read 12649 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Cooking your dogs food?
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:38:05 pm »
I have a question for those of you that do a cooked diet or add cooked foods to the kibble.  What food do you use in the daily meal plan?

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Cooking your dogs food?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:47:05 pm »
Cooked diets are difficult because you have to add in so many supplements.  The cooking process reduces the nutritional value of the food.

There's a really good yahoo discussion group on cooking for pets: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Totally_Home_Cooking/
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:51:21 pm »
Thanks I will check it out.  I was thinking of adding some cooked foods to kibble. 

Cooked diets are difficult because you have to add in so many supplements.  The cooking process reduces the nutritional value of the food.

There's a really good yahoo discussion group on cooking for pets: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Totally_Home_Cooking/

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:57:31 pm »
I agree...cookin g the dogs food requires a lot of detail and supplements... when you add cooked food to food or feed a raw/kibble diet...you could be overdoing on the nutrients...to o much calcium, protein, phorphurus etc...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:58:24 pm »
I cook for my epileptic Newf.  I am fortunate to have a raw foods store near me so I can buy his food pre-formulated.  The company is Harmony Farms.  They do the organ/meat ratios and add various vegs.  I also cook him fresh fish or other "exotic" meats, venison, elk etc. and when I do that I add a mixture called "Amixx" (see www.amixxpets. com) which is primarily veg and seeds.  I also add a teaspoon of calcium and 1/2 teaspoon of enzymes and a fish oil capsule.  It really isn't hard to do and he's doing SO well.  Because of his health issues, he has regular blood tests and all his values are completely within the range of normal.  His coat is beautiful and, considering the drugs he's on (phenobarbital, potassium bromide and gabapentin...a ll sedating drugs) his energy level is fairly good.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:02:05 pm »
Sounds like maybe I should just stay with the kibble and only give cooked chicken or fish as a treat.

Lisa

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 11:03:18 pm »
I don't necessarily cook Drakes food but I put a little meat in warm water and stir it in to his kibble (Flint River Ranch).  We also add a dog multi-vitamin, Glucosemine and Fish Oil.  It was something we started when he was a pup and now, unless he's REALLY, REALLY hugry, he won't eat dry kibble.  It's no big deal to do and we feel it's only fair since we eat such flavorful food compared to him.  It doesn't add a lot of calories and he eats all of his food every time.  He is super healthy, his coat is beautiful and he has TONS of energy for a Newf.  You guys saw the video of him going after that soccer ball on the beach.....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:09:11 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

BabsT

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 11:10:20 pm »
I do have a few questions...wh y do eggs need to be fed soft boiled?

How come they dont recomment raw pork?  There hasnt been any cases of contminated pork in god only knows how long...That is one of my staples in both my dogs raw diet

And with children...If you cook meat in your house for dinner, you are still handling raw food....I dont know of any children that have gotten sick from dogs being fed a raw diet...and I have one son and many nieces and nephews

These are just general questions and not sounding argumentitive in the least  :)  I will have more, just not done with reading the site  thanks  :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 11:11:11 pm »
Sounds like maybe I should just stay with the kibble and only give cooked chicken or fish as a treat.

Lisa

Awww, it's not that hard.  When you read about kibble vs. real food, it's amazing how much healthier they are.  I can't wait until Chester gets to 24 months when he can go on the same diet!  One of the biggest concerns are the preservatives in both canned and kibble food are thought to be carcinogens... and Cowboy sure doesn't need to deal with that as well....

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 11:28:17 pm »
Ok, now I have to spend another hour on line reading about cooking for your dog.  At least it gets me out of cleaning the house for another hour.

Lisa

Lisa

Awww, it's not that hard.  When you read about kibble vs. real food, it's amazing how much healthier they are.  I can't wait until Chester gets to 24 months when he can go on the same diet!  One of the biggest concerns are the preservatives in both canned and kibble food are thought to be carcinogens... and Cowboy sure doesn't need to deal with that as well....

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:47 pm »
I'm with Newf Lover on this one. We created a spoiled boy from the day we brought him home and he does get supplements plus kibble with meat added regularly. He's happy and healthy and adding the meat isn't time consuming at all. I guess your meal plan just needs to be something that fits into your schedule and needs to be something that you can do daily.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 11:41:54 pm »
Ok, now I have to spend another hour on line reading about cooking for your dog.  At least it gets me out of cleaning the house for another hour.

Lisa

Lisa

It's SOOOO much more fun than cleaning the house!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 12:09:02 am »
I do have a few questions...wh y do eggs need to be fed soft boiled?

How come they dont recomment raw pork?  There hasnt been any cases of contminated pork in god only knows how long...That is one of my staples in both my dogs raw diet

And with children...If you cook meat in your house for dinner, you are still handling raw food....I dont know of any children that have gotten sick from dogs being fed a raw diet...and I have one son and many nieces and nephews

These are just general questions and not sounding argumentitive in the least  :)  I will have more, just not done with reading the site  thanks  :)

I have never heard that eggs need to be fed soft boiled, whole and raw is how I feed them.  I'd be interested in hearing more on this as well.

I also have never heard that raw pork wasn't good.  Mickey loves pork ribs, usually given in 3 or 4-rib clumps.

Lastly, with normal cleaning practices, no one should have problems feeding raw in a home with children.  You would not believe the amount of bacteria that people are exposed to every day, even kibble can have salmonella in it.

-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:10:50 am »
Ola!

Regarding the supplements and kibble and dogs doing fine.  The theory is that dogs may do fine short term on a nutritionally deficient diet the same way humans do fine, short term, eating primarily McDonalds and the like, but that it greatly reduces health in the long term.

Sort of like that old adage "you are what you eat"

Summer

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 01:09:05 am »
I'm with Newf Lover on this one. We created a spoiled boy from the day we brought him home and he does get supplements plus kibble with meat added regularly. He's happy and healthy and adding the meat isn't time consuming at all. I guess your meal plan just needs to be something that fits into your schedule and needs to be something that you can do daily.

Thanks Jaime, I'm glad you understand.  People roll their eyes when they see us doctoring up Drake's kibble.  But all it usually is, is a chopped up slice of turkey lunchmeat and warm water.  No big deal!  Some people have mentioned that kibble is "nutritionally deficient", but that's not true.  We did our homework and found some of the healthiest dog food on the market.  It was also mentioned that a raw food diet could eliminate the need for supplements.  Another untruth.  My wife and I eat a diet of primarily raw fruits, vegetables, lean meat and grains.  Even with that diet, there is no way we could get all the necessary vitamins and minerals to keep our bodies in check with our active lifestyle.  We have to take supplements and so does our dog.  Raw food diets for pets are great, I've looked into it.  But it is expensive, can be hard to keep up with and actually gives Drake really loose stools.  To each his/her own and like so many things in life, there is no single/correct way.  All this talk about food!  The caffeine has worn off and now I'm starving!!!  Time for McDonalds-  I mean Fresh Choice.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.