Author Topic: Ear cleaning  (Read 9628 times)

Offline jordan2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Ear cleaning
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 08:48:08 pm »
16 oz rubbing alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid
16 drops Gentian Violet

I am in Florida. I found Gentian Violet solution,1%, at CVS pharmacy for $1.79. I had to order it but it was $10.79 at Walgreen's. Wow! What a difffence! I ordered the boric acid for $4.00, and, of course, alcohol and witch hazel in that size should cost less than two bucks.

Total cost is a lot less than the antibiotics, especially when you figure in a vet visit to get the prescription.

I have an English Springer Spaniel, and ear infections are just part of owning one, especially when they have easy access to water, which mine does. So, I am going to give this solutoin a try. She never complains about anything I do with her ears. I really think she is intelligent enough to figure it out and know that I am only trying to help her feel better. She completely trusts me but I had to earn it.

I know when she shakes her head more than twice a day that something is bothering her. Thanks to everyone who shared about their experience with ear infections.

Offline jordan2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 06:34:44 pm »
Just picked up my gentian violet solution and boric acid. Soimething is not quite right. The label for the boric aciid mentions nothing about it being using for medicinal purposees. In fact, it has first aid instructions for exposure even to the skin, as well as the eyes. It says Boric Acid powder right on the label.

It also says DANGER POISON.

Anyone know anything about this?

k2campbell

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 09:04:39 pm »
As per our vet's advice, we clean Kate's ears with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts warm (not hot) water.  Works great, and she loves it when we do it (she has to be in a calm mood though)!   ;)

Offline jordan2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 07:29:07 pm »
Just picked up my gentian violet solution and boric acid. Soimething is not quite right. The label for the boric aciid mentions nothing about it being using for medicinal purposees. In fact, it has first aid instructions for exposure even to the skin, as well as the eyes. It says Boric Acid powder right on the label.

It also says DANGER POISON.

Anyone know anything about this?

Boric acid is extrememly poisonous if ingested.  OSHA Hazard Communication Standard has classified boric acid and/or borates as Hazardous Materials. California has identified boric acid as a hazardous waste. All of this information can be found on the  Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) 25-80-2320 (Section 2 and 13).

We used to use Borax to treat carpets for fleas when I lived with my parents ... but stuff like this is just a little too scary for me. 

Just got back from visiting 2 pharmacists... one at CVS and the other at WalMarat. Both say this product is safe for washing the eyes and treating female yeast infections. Wow! Yet it has a poisoin symbol on the label. Something doesn't fit into my way of thinking. Both pharmacists said the same thing. They keep it behing the counter or you must order it. One of the pharmacists, a female, said she had used it all of her life....and she is still alive. LOL!

I wonder if there might be a substitute for the boric acid powder. I would like some feedback, please, from others who have used the mixture.

Offline jordan2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 10:25:24 pm »
Anyone out there with any reliabale information about boric acid?