Author Topic: Can heat affect weight  (Read 1958 times)

Blair

Can heat affect weight
« on: September 30, 2005, 05:51:07 am »
I was sitting here thinking, Zeus was at good weight when it wasnt so darn hot [he was like 101lbs] And now that it is so hot he dropped weight, he is now in the 90's and doesnt look so good. But he is eating like before nad is healthy, so my question is can this record heat be affecting his weight?

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Can heat affect weight
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:04:59 am »

I don't think heat and weight loss have a correlation, especially if his appetite hasn't changed.
Call your Vet and find out.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:23:04 am »
I do know with LGD's that they will lose and slow down in the summer months...I thought Zero might be slowing on his growth but my breeder said no, I had a very hot and humid summer...wait to winter LOL...we will see

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:22:18 pm »
I would check with your vet, especially if eating habits haven't changed.  Living in the hot, hot Arizona sun (it was 101 degrees today!) changes Roxy's eating habits drastically.  During the "cold" winter months when the temps dip down into the 70's--brrr--Roxy eats 3 times a day..probably more if we gave it to her.  But then again, she has to eat more because she burns so many calories being a psycho, energetic dog all the time.  Summer is a different story.  Its hot and she doesn't move at all during the day until we go for our walk around midnight or 1 am.  She eats very little in the summer and usually loses weight.  Come to think of it, I always lose weight in the summer too.  Who wants to cook and turn on a hot stove when it's 115 degrees outside?  Not me.  It's too hot to eat anyway.... Roxy and I are like bears, but in reverse.  We eat all winter long and stock up on additional lbs, so then during our summer "hibernation", everything kinda evens itself out!    ;D   

Steph and Roxy

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:01:16 am »
Both of my pups reduce how much they eat in the summer time. They just aren't as active with all of the heat, and they don't require so much. Now that the weather is cooling down they have started to resume their normal eating behaviors. I was worried about Abbey midway through the summer because I had thought that she had lost too much weight (7 lbs) she normally weighs 55lbs. The vet knows that I am a worry wort about my two and assured me that she was ok, and even ran some tests just to assure me further. She has always been a finicky eater and it has been a challenge finding things to get her to enjoy eating this summer. Glad that it's cooling down, but not nearly as much as my two pups!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey