Author Topic: new to big paws  (Read 5900 times)

Offline sibelover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
new to big paws
« on: September 30, 2005, 05:52:04 am »
hi I am new to big paws and have a 9 month old sibe and a 6 month old malamute x sibe I am training them to pull a sled and have been doing agility with them as well I would like to know when I should start adding weight to the training cart , it is about 25 pounds by it self and they have both mastered pulling it empty. we train 3 times a week for about 40 minutes on dirt trails.
any advce would be greatly appreciated.
thanks sibelover. neeko and wizard
love your dog and hug them today

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: new to big paws
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 11:45:52 am »
Hi and welcome!  I don't know about pulling sleds, but I'm sure someone here does.  I hope you enjoy BPO!  :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 11:55:14 am »
hi I am new to big paws and have a 9 month old sibe and a 6 month old malamute x sibe I am training them to pull a sled and have been doing agility with them as well I would like to know when I should start adding weight to the training cart , it is about 25 pounds by it self and they have both mastered pulling it empty. we train 3 times a week for about 40 minutes on dirt trails.
any advce would be greatly appreciated.
thanks sibelover. neeko and wizard
I don't know about sibes & malamutes but I am planning on cart training my boys & it is recommended that I don't add any weight at all until they are at least 2 so as not to damage their growing bones...I am all but sure that you won't want your dogs to pull any real weight until they are fully developed & I think with your dogs that is at 2 yrs...It's just an educated guess on my part tho...Welcome to BPO!...I'm Chelle & my big guys are Samson who turned 1 in July & pippin who recently turned 7 months...They are Great Pyrenees.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:56:19 pm »
I believe you also should wait until they are older.  Especially if they are pulling the sled/cart alone and not with a pack.  At least until they are over a year old, if not older.

I might suggest you pm Kristen (user name).  She mushes in AK and will know for sure how long you should wait.  She has trained dogs to pull sleds before.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 02:32:08 pm »
welcome - please post pics