Author Topic: Dysplasia  (Read 13257 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Dysplasia
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 05:25:18 pm »
It sounds like you are doing all the right things and only your gut will tell you whether it's the right thing or not.  We had NO option since Otis' pelvis was flat where there should have been a socket.  Considering that we didn't do anything to the dysplastic side....and rimadyl only when he limped (which was virtually never!), he did so well!  We didn't have him nearly long enough because he also had spinal issues. 

I'm sure you'll do whatever the right thing is for your puppy-love!  That's just how we big-dog people are!  We think with our hearts!

Keep us posted!

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 05:43:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the support.  Everything happened so fast!  We took Cooper in for x-rays to see if he was a candidate for surgery and then had to schedule one of them for two days later b/c his right hip was almost in-operable (sp?). The bone was already wearing down and some sign of arthritis setting in.  I just can't fathom that when he isn't even done growing!  Anyway, we picked him up on Friday and he seems to be recovering well.  Although the sedatives are a must-he really wants to play!  We'll get the other hip done in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully all will be back to normal by early Fall and we can take some camping trips with the boys!  If anyone needs any info about hip dysplasia or triple pelvic osteotomy, I'm your woman.  I know more than I ever wanted.
Maggie

Offline lil rufus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 06:09:24 pm »
We have jsut gone through this with Rufus....Our trainer was the one that noticed him limping and said to have his hips checked out.
Severe dysplasia is what they told us and our vet was immediately saying SURGERY.....no t to mention that it would cost as much as a car.....i was very confused because I never noticed that he was in any kind of pain or discomfort.
We decided to take the "holistic" approach and started him on accupuncture treatments with a holistic vet but I wasn't noticing anything different....W hat they were calling "accupuncutre treatments" was really just giving him B-12 shot all up and down his spine.  I was so mad the last time we left because they charged for all of this extra stuff and basically felt like they were taking advantage of our "lack of knowledge" of the holistic treatments.
Last Monday, I contacted our regular vet and just pleaded with her to tell me the right thing to do if we can't afford the surgery.  She said that as long as we keep him on all of his supplements and keep his weight down, we should be o.k. 
I am very intersted to see how his x-rays will change once he is full grown (he still has about 60 lbs. to go)
So we will sit tight and probably get more x-rays in about a year to see if anything has changed.
It is comforting to know that others are going through our same issues.
Thanks- Kelli & Rufus

GR8DAME

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 07:47:20 am »
Strider was diagnosed with mild hip dysplagia...Th ey want to see 75% of the ball joint in the socket, and he only has enough socket for 50%. But we started him on cosequin, and she said that it's a crap shoot. Some dogs get worse and require the surgery, some live to a ripe old age completely unaffected. When they are so young they sometimes improve as bone development continues.
Stella

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 03:04:53 pm »
lil rufus and gr8dame, please keep me updated how your dogs progress.  It was such a hard decision because there is a possibility that they will be okay. That's what the orthepedist said about Cooper on the first consult but after seeing additonal x-rays he strongly recommended the surgery. It sounded like his chances of being normal were slim to none.  I wish you guys the best.  I know how sad and scary it is.
Maggie

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 07:57:58 pm »
Greta absolutely loves massages.

Sometimes I put a hot water bottle on her joints...or a heating pad.

Glucosamine-condroitin.

...and more massage.

Low impact exercise, like swimming instead of running.  Shorter walks, followed by massage.  Soft beds to sleep on.  Help into and out of the vehicle and onto and off of the bed.  :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 11:50:13 pm »
Exercise and supplements are key. Besides swimming a great way to build up the muscles in the legs is by running in the sand. It works sooo well. I do know that x-rays from when Bear was 6 months (when we found out about his probs.) to now are dramatically different. He is so solid now. I am so pleased to have seen the difference in him.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Anasha

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Anasha Boerboels
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2005, 08:14:48 pm »
HS and ED ae the plague of large breeds. When we first started with our Boerboels, about 30% of the ones we bought had HD and 25% had ED.
We decided to try PennHIP as a breeding tool in order to improve the problem. 6 years down the line and 3 generations later we can see an improvement.
The first dogs we imported from South Africa had very loose hips with a high probability of developing HD. The pups we have that have been tested, have results that are within the best 10% for our race.

Regards
Shaun

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 08:16:20 pm »
if what they saw was cloudy, it could have been pano, could have been but might not.
pano looks like white clouds.
it would be good to ofa them to see where they are right now.
good to hear he is doing well.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 09:27:54 pm »

I just wanted to throw in my two cents on this thread - whether your Bear, or any other big dog actually proves to be dysplastic or not, a good thing to have them on is Glucosamine - already mentioned by one poster (Cosequin).  Every big dog can use the assistance of all natural glucosamine since they typically lack sufficient amounts of it already in their joints.  As they age, it will only decline (just like us).  The orthopedic surgeons I know argue that every big dog should be on glucosamine starting at 4-5 months and remain on it for life.  My Berner has been on it and she is a year old now - she is the most athletic Berner I have ever seen and I hope it keeps her in top shape.  My Golden, who is dysplastic in both elbows AND has two luxating patellas, has been on it since she was 9 months old.  I know of her joint problems because I had her certified by the OFA at two years of age - this is my only indicator however as she has never limped a day in her life.  Now the OFA can be wrong, and only time will tell - but with both elbows and knees certified as less than stellar, it is unlikely.  In time, she will surely be arthritic but so far, at age 4, she is a highly active jumper and shows no signs.

So the other point here is that a dog can be dysplastic but also be asymptomatic, as in my Golden's case.  If a dog is actually limping, it is a sign that it is severe - or else severe pano (growing pains) and pretty far along.

I would never give my dog Rimadyl...not for anything until they are on their death bed - that is a nasty drug and I have seen too many dogs die from it - be sure to always research the drugs you're given before giving them - as vets today do not provide you with side effects and cautionary sheets like we receive from pharmacists.

If anyone has a dog that is dysplastic or arthritic, I also highly recommend hyaluronic acid - I use Synthovial 7 since it is in liquid form and more readily assimilated - but it has worked wonders on my own stiff knees and I believe my Golden's mobility.  It is naturally occuring in our bodies as well and diminishes as we age - it is attributed to arthritis setting in (as well as wrinkles and loss of vision).  There are natural pain killers out there far safer, and more effective than an ugly drug like Rimadyl - always try them first before resorting to something like that.

Hope Bear proves out to only have growing pains.....defi nitely get him certified by the OFA however.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar