Author Topic: Teeth Brushing  (Read 3146 times)

lins_saving_grace

Teeth Brushing
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:05:52 am »
Who here brushes teeth and how? 
I do both my Rotts' teeth. And very carfeully I might add.  I have a little trouble getting the back teeth...but try.  Lady, the bigger Rott has a full blown tooth brush.  Grace, the little Rott, still uses the finger brush. 
I just think it's important to keep to teeth clean (and the breath fresh) as best as I can. 
I lost a dog (terrier/snauzer mix) early this year to heart disease that may have been prevented if I had just insisted she learn to like getting her teeth brushed. 

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Teeth Brushing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:48:36 pm »
I didn't know that diseases coulb be caused from not brushing your dog's teeth? Interesting... I must get better at that. We brush like once a month (when we remember) and have never had any problem with it other than having the "baby" want to eat that tootpaste.  :D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:16:31 pm »
We are trying to be good about it, we have a brushday every week, but some weeks it just doesnt happen, I use the three sided brushes, I like them because it cuts down on the time you have to dig around in there, and they are pretty good with it. And I think it works because the two older dogs, well  not old but no puppies, about 5 years old, both of them has teeth as a two year old says the vet. Never had to have a vet clean them either. So I am a believer in it, even though I could be better at not skipping a week here and there.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 06:21:22 pm »
We brush twice monthly and they eat greenies regularly, We never have had problems brushing teeth, or much of anything else for that matter.  I had my Kuvs up on the grooming table at very young ages and they are used to feet, ears, teeth, etc..being touched and messed with.  Beauty is able to jump up on the grooming table, but Aidan is to Heavy and big boned.  I want to buy an electric lift table.  He can be VERY hard on my back! :o
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:08:50 am »
Oh yes!  my veet scolded me for not brushing Missy's teeth.  And cleaning is an ordeal and costly at that.
She lived to be almost 14 regardless of me not brushing....bu t I should have done it more, but I got her at 3 1/2 years old and she protested the toothbrush.  I could have avoided her any discomfort at the end if I had just insisted. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 08:10:48 am »
I like the 3 sided brush idea alot