Author Topic: more stupid kids. so sad  (Read 5676 times)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: more stupid kids. so sad
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 10:05:09 pm »
I've been teaching my 3 year old son that he must ask me or his dad and then must ask the n owner before he tries to pet a dog. It is so cute though because he says, excuse me can I pet your dog please. He has very good manners for his age. But i make sure he asks us 1st.

GR8DAME

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 10:17:58 pm »
I think that is all that any of us ask, a little common sense and courtesy. Kudos for teaching your son the right way.
Stella

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:50 pm »
You know what irks me, when a child approaches my dog and tries to pet it without asking, I usually kneel down and explain to them that they should really ask first.  I explain how it's not safe to pet any ole' dog, and how I don't want them to get bitten. 

For some reason, the parents seem to get angry at my doing this and glare at me.  WTF?  I may have just saved your child from bodily harm and years of cosmetic surgery and you're going to get mad at ME?
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 11:54:49 pm »
......and guess who would get sued????  It wouldn't be the parents for being stupid!!!

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 12:10:35 am »
hahahha! I kinda had to laugh at this post a little. At least you all live in a community where people WANT to pet dogs. I swear, its like institutionali zed fear of dogs where I live! I walk down the street with Cabeza (who will let a child fall and jump all over him) and people drag their kids to the other side and say, "GET YOUR DOG!" Even if he's on a leash and not even the slightest bit interested in them.

Its not that I don't TOTALLY agree with all of you. My daughter always asks to pet strange dogs, and that's how it should be. Its just funny that I have the OPPOSITE problem! Nobody wants to pet dogs around here! hahahhaa! You hardly even see people walking dogs in my town. Seriously. Ask dobergurl! NOBODY walks dogs around here.

Nikki, ya did the right thing. At least the mom didn't yell at ya for having a mean dog.

You know, one time I was at this marina in New Buffalo, MI. We were sitting at a picnic table, having lunch. Cabeza was snoozing under the table. This little girl...I'd say she was 3 toddled over and bent down to pet him. I told her he was nice and she could. (Not that she asked) And then she took his leash and said, "Mommy! I'm gonna walk the doggie!" And her mom said, "Oh! That's so cute baby!" I told her mom that Cabeza is very gentle with kids, and that her daughter was more than welcome to love on him and cuddle him, but on the leash he pulls VERY VERY hard and WILL knock her down. (THis is the only reason that Cabeza isn't a therapy dog, I just can't get him to stop straining at the leash) The mom just laughed and said, "No, we've got black labs at home. She walks them all the time." I said, "This dog pulls me over on a regular basis. I weigh 135 pounds. Your daughter probably weighs 25. He is definitely going to pull her over." The mom just laughed, and as we were having this discussion, guess what? Cabeza pulled the little girl over. THank god she was smart enough to let go of the leash! She was screaming and crying and dirty. I just called Cabeza back to me and looked at the lady. She didn't say a word, and neither did I.

So, there's my little stupid kid story. It was a rare one, though. And I was in another state. Doesn't happen very often in Michigan City, IN.