Author Topic: Which sex do you prefer and why?  (Read 8935 times)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Which sex do you prefer and why?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 11:23:36 pm »
Wow, this is pretty interesting!  We've always had female dogs.  Before we brought Sasha home I read alot about male vs. female dogs.  My mother in law always has male dogs so we wondered about differences.  I love the female dog personalities--it's true that they are a bit pushy and they do pout, but I think the pouting is funny.  ::) I like the cleverness (sp?) of the female dogs (although it sometimes gets them in trouble).  We've had as many as four spayed females at one time and they got along just fine.  Although we've never owned a male dog, I would say they are generally more laid back.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 11:37:26 pm »
I am suprised that everyone loves males so much better. I knew that there were a lot of guy dogs on bpo but I guess I didn't notice how big the gap was until now...

It's funny because everything you guys are saying is counter to my experience, although mine is more limited. I only really have two dogs in my life, zoey and a male dog named booboo. Zoey loves everyone (human and dog); Booboo loves only his family and snaps at everyone else and all dogs including zoey. Zoey is extremely affectionate and a total cuddlebug; booboo likes to lean on you but the cuddling stops there. Zoey is 95% submissive, and will share food, toys, affection, etc; BooBoo is totally dominant and if you try and pet him if he is eating or sleeping, you're asking for trouble.... With cats it's been the same for me. my family has had 3 female cats and 1 male cat. the females are all laid back cuddlebugs; the male is physcotic and hates people.

So I picked a girl based on my experience, but I would also say that I chose to get a girl primarily because of the difference in size. I knew that no matter what saint I got they would be huge, but a girl would be a little less huge. Considering zoey and I weigh about the same now and she's not done growing, that was important to me.
RIP former BPO

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 11:54:26 pm »
Personally, I have had both male and female dogs and don't have a preference.  Currently I have a female Ridgeback, I think my next will be a male.  I wanted a female this time because my last dog was a male and I wanted a change.

With Ridgeback's in particular there seems to be a big difference between the males and females.  Of the top ten courser's in the country there is only one male, which says a lot!
When they were used to hunt, the females were always considered better because they are a matriarcal breed.  The males were considered better guard dogs because they were big and lazy.  At least that's what people say.  Summer can be pretty intense!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 12:24:07 am »
I am more attracted to males (we have four!!!), and so is my boyfriend. We were talking about it recently and trying to figure out why. I think I personally  like the idea of being surrounded by guys who love me!!!

Seriously though, I used to be in the opposite situation and I had three females. They were very bitchy!!! Of course I loved them but in a way they were too much like me. Especially my husky Porscha, I think we had the exact same personality. We had "fights", I swear. The girls held grudges. And thinking back it does seem like they were smarter animals than the boys I have now- these guys are all goofy silly affectionate cheeseballs. And I like that now. The next dog we get is going to be a female but only because we are making ourselves do it, to balance things out a bit.

In general, I vote for males.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 01:30:53 am »
Interesting thread!
I have observed from my daily visits to the dog park, that Women have male dogs, and Men have female dogs.
The ratio is about 6:1.
Verrry Interesting!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

GR8DAME

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 01:37:37 am »

Oddly enough, my husband and son both have expressed a preference for male dogs as well. Apparently, living with the moods of my daughter and I is quite difficult enough, LOL.
Stella

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 01:47:21 am »
My personal preference are females, however my dogs, I prefer males.  They seem to have different personalities than females and my males seem to be more playful.  My wife wanted a female and now she complaints stating that she is such a b----.  Still a good dog just nothing like the males or as affectionate, only when she wants something and paws or licks your ear. 

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 01:54:35 am »
I have to say males. Why.....Im a women!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 02:42:32 am »
I have to throw my vote on the male side as well.  I've only had one female Newf and she really was bitchey.  Loved us, but SO dominate over every other dog!  Her great joy in life was "tipping males":  she'd get her nose under another dog's belly and just flip them over and then lay on them.  I have to admit that I laughed but I would try to be stern.... she'd look so happy on top of a squirming and very unhappy male.  The males have never been so obnoxious.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 02:54:00 am »
I pefer females. I had a female lab/retreiver cross growing up and she was the best dog ever. We also had males and they were very domiant. My husband and I both wanted a female. I like that they're more maternal. Maybe it's because I'm that way. My husband grew up with lots of dogs. His mom used to groom dogs and was the president of the humane society. They both are prone to females.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:09:15 am by Tajsa »

Nicole

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 04:02:24 am »
I have three boy kitties and one boy doggie. At one point, we had two boy doggies living in the house along with the three boy felines. I guess I prefer boys.

Its interesting that this thread was brought up because I was noticing the other day that there really are alot of boy doggies on here. I was thinking that it was probably because of the size. Big dog people are going to like even BIGGER dogs, right?  ;) But, reading this, I guess the personality factors in, too.

I've only had one female dog. She was really weird and snappy. She would try to bite you every time you took your hand away from her after you were done petting her. It was very strange. And it wasn't like she was ever abused, we had her from the time she was 6 weeks old. She was just not very nice. Oh wait, I fostered a female Saint...Suzy. I LOVED that dog. She was incredible. She was like velcro at my side and wouldn't go to anyone else.

By and large I think that males do tend to be more laid back.

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 04:17:17 am »
My vote is male also. I love both but if I have more than 1 dog (or cat) I will  only have one female in the bunch. I have 3 male dogs and 1 female right now. The boys are goofy and try to be alpha, but the female rules the roost when she wants. We tried bringing in more than 1 female and it did not work.....they seem to never forget a grudge! Same with the cats, we have 1 and 1. All of the boys are much more laid back. My female dog is the most manipulative on the bunch, but I love her just the same!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 04:22:14 am »
I'm really surprised at how many male lovers are out there.

It is hard for me to say.  Growing up we only had one family dog, she was a very dominant female.  Of course her breeding didn't help (aussie/border collie/shepherd mix).  Constantly testing you, and extremely smart......... ....too smart.  Got along with all dogs except those that challenged her........... ..and black labs (hated them, was attacked as a pup).

Personally, I now have one of each.  Maybe mastiff type females tend to be more bitchy?  Keiko is so the opposite of that.  Very smart, laid back and easy going.  Gets along with everything and everyone.  Does get her feelings hurt easily and will sulk, but that happens few and far between.  She is a bit more serious now that she is older, but was a bit of a prankster when younger, you could see the mischief in her eyes.  She knows who is boss (me), but likes hanging out with her daddy (he tends to drop alot of food.........l ol).  The occasional butting of heads, but also a pretty rare occurence.

Gunther is in my mind perfect in just about every way.  He is also laid back, easy going and gets along with everyone (once he gets to know them).  He is a bit skittish at times, but that goes along with his breed.  Very easy to train for most things, he catches on easily.  Is very goofy, but that could just be the puppy in him still.  Is a HUGE momma's boy, and a bit of a drama queen when he's in trouble.  Can be stubborn, but knows who is in charge, and you can see him thinking twice about disobeying. 

I guess I like both sexes.  But anatomy wise, I prefer the females.  Gunther went thru a period where he couldn't keep his willie away when he sat down.  I've met other males, where their willie is out alot more than I would have thought.  I find it somewhat gross, although I guess it is a natural occurence.  I also dislike males that feel the need to mark EVERYTHING.  Thank goodness Gunther does not mark yet, and hopefully won't start.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 09:25:29 am »
Growing up we always had females. Then I got my first male he was a sweetheart. Right now we have 3 males and 3 females. The females are always posturing around each other and are bitchy. I believe I like the males they are more laid back.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 10:14:42 am »
I gotta say I love my boys!  Araby I have called every bad name in the book.  She's HORRID.  Moni and I have made a pact to never own another female dog EVER!  She's so high maintenance, everything is about her ALL the time, she's so in your face, challenging you ever minute, ARGH it sucks!

My boys I love to death.  Hobo will do anything to please anyone, and Sanity will do anything to please me.  (He's a momma's boy, what can I say?)  They always want to be with you, to make you happy.  On one of my Dane rooms this question came up, and someone said something which I just think explains it perfectly.

"Girl Danes love you, Boy Danes are IN love with you"
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."