Author Topic: Taz's first vet visit is tonight :\  (Read 5893 times)

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
Taz's first vet visit is tonight :\
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:05:15 am »
..and boy am I a nervous mommy! I always hate going to the vet's office. Even though vet's know what they're doing, I can get very protective and antsy. And Taz is my first dog, which makes me even more touchy. I got Taz about a month ago, and recently started to notice that his ears are causing problems for him and seem to be in a lot of pain. Everytime I try to look in them, he doesn't want me touching them and shakes his head, and when he scratches his ears, he cries. Finally, the other day, we were outside and he was looking up at me and I could see inside his ears in the canal, and they are TERRIBLE. There is so much buildup, and I swear, I don't think his previous owners EVER cleaned his ears. They were neglectful as it is, so I highly doubt they paid attention to his ears.

Just curious is anyone else has had a dog with bad buildup like that where they're in the amount of pain that he's in.. is it most likely an infection? Is it something that is easily treated or is it complicated? I ask because I have a friend with a senior dog and her ears have been similar for years and she's always in pain, and I would hate for Taz to spend his last couple of years with me in that similar pain, and I just want him to be as happy and healthy as possible, since his previous owners didn't take the best care of him, and he deserves a decent life with whatever is left of it.  :-\ Thanks, and I appreciate any help, tips, suggestions, or even just good lucks in advance!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Icerotti

Re: Taz's first vet visit is tonight :\
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:18:19 am »
Wishing you all goes well at the vets.

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:21:44 am »
Thanks for the good lucks and wishes.  It wasn't so bad. I got a really good and nice vet who made me feel so comfortable. Taz had a bad ear infection and there was just so much bacteria in them, luckily he didn't have ear mites though. They cleaned his ears out and gave me two ear medications to give him. He also had to get two shots that he was missing from his records, and had to get his blood taken for heartworm. If I don't hear from them in 72 hours, he doesn't have heartworm *crosses fingers* I don't think he does, but I'm unsure if there are any signs. Are there?

His ears looked so much better but I can tell he was irritated after they cleaned them out and they told me he was not a happy camper when they were doing it, which I figured. They said he was getting upset and trying to get away and knocking things off the counters and tables. My poor baby  But at least they're looking better now. I have to go back in 3 weeks for boosters and for the vet to just take a look at his ears and see if the medicine is working, and then get heartworm preventative.

I'm so glad it's overwith  :D
Jackie
Taz's Mom

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:27:39 am »
My fingers are crossed for ya...One pointer I learned with the flushes is my dog is so much happier when I over saturate a cotton ball vs. shooting liquid into his ears...

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:30:39 am »
That is very true...I let that happen once with Zero and the vet couldnt get near us...it was horrible...I learned very fast with my breeds to control your emotions

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:35:53 am »
For about two days after this vet visit, Taz had a serious case of the runs. I was up all night for two nights tending to him and taking him outside when needed, because he could not hold it in whatsoever, which I perfectly understand. The vet said it may have been from the shots (I brought him a fecal sample anyway), and just to put some rice in his food. He also said it may have been stress from going to the Vet, but I don't think that was the case. The shots he got were the Bordatella and Leptospirosis, and according to his records from his owners, this was the first time he was ever getting those two shots. Someone I dogsit for said that the Lepto shot makes her dog a bit sick afterwards as well, and was wondering if anyone here experiences that and if it's pretty normal? He hasn't gone at all today, which is a good thing, because when he was suffering after the vet visit, he would go about 3 or 4 times when I took him out. So, he seems much better, but was curious to see if anyone else here has similar problems after their dogs get shots.
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 05:59:59 am »
Where I live, (if I understand correctly, I am no shot expert), the lepto is rolled up in the DHLPP vaccination. 

So, Taz's mom, I don't know where you live, but if his previous owners ever got Taz the DHLPP shot, he might have already had the lepto shot before.  That would mean it would be the bordatella that you would want to remember as making him feel yucky...

Does that make any sense?  Red, am I totally off base?  Cause I know you know!   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 06:01:54 am »
Jackie, what vet do you go to?
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 06:11:56 am »
Where I live, (if I understand correctly, I am no shot expert), the lepto is rolled up in the DHLPP vaccination. 

So, Taz's mom, I don't know where you live, but if his previous owners ever got Taz the DHLPP shot, he might have already had the lepto shot before.  That would mean it would be the bordatella that you would want to remember as making him feel yucky...

Does that make any sense?  Red, am I totally off base?  Cause I know you know!   ;D

Honey I don't know what you're saying here.  If Taz already had Lepto him being sick could be from over vaccination.  Him already having it doesn't mean that the shot wouldn't make him sick.  However Princess Araby got wicked bad KC from her Bordetella vaccine.  so it could be that
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 06:24:43 am »

Honey I don't know what you're saying here.  If Taz already had Lepto him being sick could be from over vaccination.  Him already having it doesn't mean that the shot wouldn't make him sick.  However Princess Araby got wicked bad KC from her Bordetella vaccine.  so it could be that
That's ok, sometimes I don't know what I am saying either...     ;D

I just meant that if Taz had the lepto vaccine at some previous point in his life successfully without getting sick from it, then it might more likely that it was the bordatella vaccine that made him feel yucky this time,  and his mom would want to remember that.   

I know that when vets give vaccinations that are rolled up together, like DHLPP, it can be confusing as to what vaccines they are actually getting in that one shot...

Just bear with me, people, when I make no sense....   :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 06:25:42 am by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 12:03:44 pm »
Jeez, I don't know why it has taken me so long to respond!

I'm honestly not sure if he got the DHLPP vaccination, as I unfortunately have absolutely no contact with his previous owners. I also don't see it on one of his vaccination certificates, but I'll have to find the other one and see if it's on there.

MustLoveDogs - I go to the Massapequa Hospital for Animals, and Taz's doctor is Dr. Paul K. LaPorta

Thanks for all your input, everyone has been so helpful! By the way, he had his last case of the runs Saturday night (he did it once on the carpet while I was asleep), but everything looks fairly solid now, and his fecal results came out negative for parasites, so I feel much  better, I guess it was just one of the vaccines!

Question - He has to get his boosters for those shots in 2 weeks, are boosters going to affect him the same way?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:05:26 pm by LoveMySiberian »
Jackie
Taz's Mom