Author Topic: Need help with a begger  (Read 6235 times)

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
Need help with a begger
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:34:29 am »
In Taz's previous home, he was constantly fed tablescraps. And since he is 9 years old, this could have been going on since he was a puppy, so it's been hard to curb him of this habit. When I am eating dinner, he is constantly putting his face almost on my dish, crying for food, and doing that typical Siberian "woo woo" while I eat. I'll admit, I love the wooing and it's adorable, but not while I'm eating my food. Sometimes, I'll catch his tongue licking the edge of my plate. I know this is the stuff he's used to eating (and came to me overweight because of it), but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I like to have him around, and would rather not have to put him in a room or something by himself, because of his seperation anxiety due to his previous neglectful owners. I would love to have him hang out with me while I am eating, but was wondering how I can stop his constant begging. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a begger
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 02:50:30 am »
I would put Taz in another room while you eat until you can get some good training advice.
His seperation anxiety won't be a problem for that short period, however, it is another training problem if you have to leave him for an extended period of time.
Good Luck.
Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 03:34:53 am »
I am guilty of giving Bear table scraps at dinner time but luckily he is not overweight. We usually eat at the coffee table in the living room so that we can eat, talk & watch tv all together and we make Bear lay down until we are done. He is very patient and lays there usually ignoring us, but sometimes he will look at us longingly hoping we will give in sooner.  ;D We have trained him to do this since he was a pup. After we are done eating, my husband will tell him "ok" and give him his table scraps. I wait until they are done and then tell him to come to the kitchen where I add my goodies to his bowl of kibble.

In your case however, since you said that you want Taz to be near you, you might try this. Put his leash on and make him lay down with it on. Everytime he gets up or "woo woo's" correct him. At the end of the meal you can tell him "ok" and give him something for being so good. If your don't want to give him table scraps then a tasty treat of your choosing would be great.

Good luck and keep us updated on the progress!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 03:54:43 am »
Yup Jamie is on the nose according to my book.  I do not like begging dogs and taught Niki to ignore us while we are eating even though some of my grandkids try to sneak her a little.  I use the command (ignore) then reward her after we eat.  Humans always eat first.   It is funny though, she sits up straight and looks entirely a different way so we will be sure to see how good she is ignoring.   ;D

I am sure you will find it easily corrected.
Peggy

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:26:02 am »
I had to teach Billy the no food at the table rule. He likes to save them a piece, but not until were finished. Kiya is still a bit nosey by the table, I'll tell her down & Im ok with her laying by my feet as long as she's not watching me, Apache couldn't care less & Chazzy knows when its time to come check for a treat. Billy made our cat Spitz the best beggar when he was a kitten, that cat doesn't miss a beat.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:30:19 am »
My Kiah is exactly like your Kiya Carolyn. She's right at the table, but when I tell her down she lays by my feet. It's hard to move. We have chairs with wheels and I'm always rolling on her. You would think she would learn to move.  :)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:39:31 am »

My dogs are fed from the table, during and after meals, and always have been.

I have NO begging.

They lie quietly with their chin on the floor. I allow no looking, no staring, no drooling.

You guys just gotta learn to think like a dog. LOL

Have you EVER seen a dog beg from another one? No.

Ever wonder why? How does a dog react when another approaches his food? Think about it.

First he freezes.....BO OM....right in mid crunch.

He makes direct eye contact and stares at whatever dog has DARED to approach while he is eating. If this is not enough he may advance, standing tall and ears up. He may pull his lips back, and show his teeth.

Most of this is never necessary. The freeze and stare is usually as far as it gets.

SO.....

Next time you are about to sit down and eat, even before you do, if the dog is underfoot, do the dog thing.

FREEZE.

STARE.

SIT or STAND TALL.

Lean FORWARD towards the dog a bit, Make direct eye contact, pull your lips back to show your teeth, and growl like you mean it.

Your dog has had quite some time of having his way regarding this, so he may take a bit more convincing, and a little stronger threat/dominance display from you for him to "get' it.

If you don't give in, and if you really MEAN it with your eye contact, and your upright tall posture, and your scowl and growl, your dog will get the point.

He will first break away from the eye contact. He may growl back, or bark in frustration.

Be strong. Stand firm. Direct eye contact. Tall body posture. He will give in, and he will either leave the room, or lie down. If you keep on, he will put his chin on the floor.

Let's have a BPO experiment.

Everyone try this at meal time tonight, and see how many of you can make your dog lie with his chin on the floor with your body language alone. No verbal commands, just your speaking "dog" to YOUR dog.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:51:23 am »
I'm willing to give it a try Red.

Onyx and Zeus don't beg, but Apollo is horrid!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 04:52:33 am »
Strider is caged during our meals in the kitchen, but if you are eating in the livingroom, all bets are OFF! He will drool, stare, whine, nudge and all but crawl in your lap.
OK Red, I gotta try that tonight.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 04:58:16 am »
Cabeza only begs when Mark is around. Cuz Mark feeds him from the table. I never give him anything until after dinner.

I love Red's idea, though! Let us know how it works out, Taz's Mama.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 05:12:50 am »
We just built a REALLY tall counter to eat at on the island, the can't reach our plates unless they really try!  ;D
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Willow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 09:53:59 pm »
I simply taught my dogs to "go lie down" when we are cooking or when we eat.   Now and then my Aussie will come and sit by me looking expectantly, but I just tell her, "enough!  Go lie down", no growling etc. at her,  ;D but she still gets the message loud and clear, because she knows I am the Alpha, and "thou shall not tick off the Alpha!"     :D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 10:06:09 pm »
How is Taz doing? Any improvement??
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 03:23:27 am »
I tried the growling/baring my teeth/standing up tall, but I really don't think he takes me seriously at all, because he keeps coming back! It may have possibly been a competition type thing, since I do pet sitting and I was taking care of a Pug, so maybe he wanted to make sure he stayed nearby so that he was the sure the Pug wouldn't get any? I'm not sure. I have no dogs tonight I'm sitting for, so I'll try it with him alone and see if it works!

Thanks everyone for all your tips and advice!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 07:12:28 am »
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I like to have him around, and would rather not have to put him in a room or something by himself, because of his seperation anxiety due to his previous neglectful owners. I would love to have him hang out with me while I am eating, but was wondering how I can stop his constant begging. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Squirt Bottles or Squirt Guns work really well.  Maybe feed him at the same time you guys eat, but in another room.  Give him a chew toy or rawhide and have him lay on his dog bed nearby the dinner table.  Maybe one of those will work.  I don't think the growling or snapping like a dog will work, they will probably think you're nuts.  Plus, what about when you're in public?  Are you going to do that around other people?  They will be calling for the Ambulance and straight jacket....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 07:13:27 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.