Author Topic: Learned a new trick!!  (Read 8357 times)

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Learned a new trick!!
« on: April 15, 2005, 12:10:23 pm »
Some time back there was a question on these boards about what tricks can your dog do. I had such a delightful time reading the replies especially from the owner of a very talented Saint (sorry I can't remember you name) that cleans? sliding glass doors with tongue, gets skunked and best can hit the ceiling with far flung drool. Thought they were talking about my Sassy!!  My talented baby has developed drooling into an art form that even has categories.
1. Food drool,
   a. I'm thinking about food, this is accompanied by some mouth activity and thick and concentrated slobber.
   b. I actually see or smell food, this is accompanied with snorts, heavy breathing and a profusion of clear running slobber.
2.Water drool
  a. Need water, clear drool and obviously not enough because we hit the water bowl and lap it everywhere
  b. Finishing drinking, now here's the trick, managing to cup a good deal of the water in upper jowls until at least a good distance from bowl and then trickle it out as  walking.
3.  People drool.
  a. Visitor drool, you don't live here so I have to smell you and leave slime especially if you have black pants.
      1. I'm going to just stand here with a 3 inch glob stretching downward and see how long it takes you to freak out (one of my personal favorites)
  b."Your home your home drool." so much excitement here it's hard to tell. I just know it shows up on the shoulders of my coat, purse shoes etc. usually when I'm out in public and finally notice it.
4. Target drool. self explanatory. above pictures, on the ceiling, almost always high hard to reach places that somehow don't stand out till company is over.

Besides all these awesome drooling talents Sas also sings, well actually hums. Some time during the night she sneaks up on my bed. Now it's hard to think of a Saint Bernard sneaking but I'm an insomniac so if and when I do fall asleep I guess I must be out. For the past month I have been brought back to consciousness by this low 3 or 4 note humming. I know it gets progressively louder until I wake up and see her anxious face 2 inches from mine usually at the first sign of daylight. At first I had mixed reactions to this new trick but I decided today, when needing to get up earlier than usual I was awakened by an obnoxious church bell alarm clock, that I prefer Sassy humming. I think it's a pretty neat trick!  Best connolly   
The older I get the less I know

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Learned a new trick!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:05:45 pm »
Oh and then there is Dog Park Drool. All of the dogs and puppies have special bright white drool marks usually somewhere randomly placed on their backs - and EVERYONE knows who's drool it is.

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 02:04:49 pm »
Oh yes I have to add that!  Smaller dog owners which is the majority of other dogs try and be nice as they are looking at their baby's slimed head. lol I've learned to keep a wash cloth handy for these occasions. connolly
The older I get the less I know

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:36:38 pm »
I love dog drool.  Or maybe better put...I'm learning to ignore it and wear it well. 
My older Rott is famous for drool and isn't happy until everyone thinks it's the next hot fashion.  The new Rott is always wet lately as she still fits UNDER the older Rott, usually while drinking. 
I too have a towell within reach at all times.
We don't YET fling it through the house, but we like to make it in bulk.   ;D

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 05:58:49 pm »
I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! It is so damn relatable..... I was literally laughing out loud at the "tricks" Saints can do!!! These are all Cassie to a perfect T.  Then the stuff about drooling on the other dogs at the dog park... it's so embarassing!!! AND she is right everyone knows its OUR dog!! We take towel to "wipe down" the other dogs.... only once have we had someone get really mad.... my response was... "It's a dog park for gosh sakes, did you notice the poop on the ground... I think my dog's drool is going to be ok"  Hilarious stuff...thanks to all for sharing!!!! :D
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 12:13:47 am »
Ohhhh hahaha, I am having stomach cramps. Isn't this why we love our big, drooling, slobbering, bedhogging babies.

When it comes to drool, we also have the totally slobbery toys. If I try to lie down on the couch to take a powernap, I know for sure that sooner or later one of the dogs will come, stand and look at me and if I dont get up and give them the spot, or let them out or whatever else they decide they have to do, they will go get a toy to sling in my face, of course a toy that is good and slobbery. That is also something they do when people come over, if they dont pay enough attention to them, they bring a toy, stand infront of the guests and wait for them to play with it. Most of my friends know better  now. But once in awhile someone is talking silly to them and grab the toy to play with them, and lol...... it never fails, the look on their face when they feel just how nasty this toy is. I guess it is rude to laugh but, sometimes it is just impossible not to. And I am pretty sure I can see a smirk on the dogs faces too lol..

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline amajac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 08:45:03 pm »
My Saint Mirta was a world class drooler.  My son, who was about five at the time, nicknamed Mirta drool, Gerb.  The clearest memory of my son at that age (he is now 24) was him stomping into the kitchen to announce that he could not go to school because Mirta had "Gerbbed" on the floor in front of his dresser and he couldn't get to his pants.

Mirta was a rescue from the pound in Montreal Canada, she was about 5, very well trained, but only spoke french.  We would talk to her and she would look at us with this very confused look on her face, her little eyebrows skrunched into question marks.
Cheryl Hain
Amajac

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 05:31:01 pm »
Besides having drool on my clothes when I go to work, which by the way grosses everyone out, I don't own anything without black hair on it. I have even found hair in the fridge, in the cupboards and on plates/glasses. How does it do that??