Author Topic: Things your Pup's afraid of?  (Read 6164 times)

Spook

Things your Pup's afraid of?
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:13:53 am »
Was just wondering the silly things your dogs are afraid of? My Pyrenees Freyr is afraid of Garbage bags, the vaccum, my cat Koby and pumpkins. If he see's a pumpkin he stand about 10 feet from it and barks to try and scare it off. If that doesn't work he then goes and tries to hide under the coffee table that he doesn't fit under anymore and then gets stuck. My Pyrenees Damia is afraid of the dark,  the vaccum,  the squeaky frog doggy toy. Serenity our Fila isn't really afraid of much of anything  once we let her sniff it.. 'cept really loud unexpected noises. If she hears something go bang (dish being dropped for instance) she'll run and try and crawl into your lap. Only she knows that she's not supose to be in your lap so she'll try and do it without putting any paws on you.

BabsT

Re: Things your Pup's afraid of?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:27:13 am »
How old are your dogs...I feel LGD have more fear periods...The key if they get spooked how fast to they recover...some thing would spook zero or misha within a second they were back to normal...

Zero doest get spooked anymore and Misha very little...

I also do weird things, like feed my dogs on legos or weird surfaces and always try to build up confidence...M y CO though she is already full of confidence that she is border line cocky

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:33:24 am »
I need to work on confidence for Sugar Bear so I let him win a few games of tug-of-war tonight.  He just pranced around like he was "king of the hill".  He played with Dixie a few times but she would not let him win so he would bring the toy back for me to play with him.  Sugar Bear is very scared of fireworks.  Dixie is not scared of anything, which has me worried.  She will hear something and she runs to it like mad. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:36:52 am »
Yes work on his confidence...t ug is good...OB with big praise...i sit in train stations, elevators, pet stores, hotels, long car rides, loud music, sheetmetal shops, gun clubs, machine shops, bottles 1/4 filled with pebbles to play catch with etc....

Have the dog walk over some funny surfaces like tin foil etc...open umbrellas around them

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:38:23 am »
Another thing is use your female on walks to set the pace and they can pick up from the other dog...

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:39:30 am »
Great ideas, maybe we can come up with some fun games.  I am afraid I made him a little too much of a Mommy's  boy.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 10:40:37 am »
Zoey is afraid of all sorts of weird things, especially at night. When we go out for night time potty breaks and she sees lights, big holiday decorations, strollers, etc, they always freak her out at night (but not usually in the day).... She's funny, because she is terrified by the broom, but thinks the vacuum is fun.... Most things she is just kind of afraid of, but she has three huge fears in life: nail clippers, ear cleaning solution, and baby gates. The first two are such a drama because i have tried to train her not to be afraid of them but she isn't budging, so grooming time is stressful for both of us... the last one, well that's a fear I am actually very happy she has. if we don't want her to go somewhere, all we have to do is put a babygate there and she will stay away; we don't even set it up for real, just lean it against the wall and she has total respect for it because she is so terrified of it for some reason. if we pick it up, she scurries across the room.
RIP former BPO

BabsT

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 10:49:28 am »
For ear cleaning...I got much better results by  holding the container of the solution in some warm water and then squirting on to the cottonball instead of directly into the ear...and cleaning the ear with the cottonball soaked into the solution

I think the cold wet squirt is what erks them...zero is much calmer and no longer runs when I am cleaning the ears

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
Hahahaha...fun ny topic. The only thing Bear is really scared of is things coming at him like something falling on him or things jumping out at him from the bushes or from behind a building. I love to play hide and seek with him and it cracks me up when I can scare him. He is always so relieved when he finds out that it is me and not a scary monster.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 11:02:47 am »
Tonka is afraid of garbage bags and the vacuum too.  He is also freaked out by shopping carts (at petsmart) and suitcases  ::) oh and pots and pans.  The best one though.....he is afraid of knocking on the door or the doorbell (the jack russel and the poodle go nuts barking and Tonka is trying to find a place to hide!)  It makes me feel so safe hehe....aww, but its okay, I will protect my giant puppy! :P
I am kind of a big deal!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:05:33 am »
How old are your dogs...I feel LGD have more fear periods...The key if they get spooked how fast to they recover...some thing would spook zero or misha within a second they were back to normal...

Zero doest get spooked anymore and Misha very little...

I also do weird things, like feed my dogs on legos or weird surfaces and always try to build up confidence...M y CO though she is already full of confidence that she is border line cocky
LMAO!...On Legos?...That's a great idea except I am sure Sam would eat the Legos too!....My dogs both are afraid of the vaccum & Sam is finally getting over his fear of anything with a long handle & anything with wheels...He ain't crazy about hats either but is getting better.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:07:37 am »
Kiah used to be afraid of unfamilar noises, but now that she's older she's a lot better. Once she's used to hearing noises then she's okay. If it's nothing she's heard before she'll run and hide. Lately she's been going to investigate instead of running. This makes me happy.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 11:07:38 am »
Cowboy is scared of things that make NO sense!  He just freaked out because he knocked a chair over on himself as he was trying to get up.  He got tangled in the legs and acted as if the legs were trying to get him.  He looked so worried!!!  Chester seems pretty calm about everything so far....

BabsT

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 11:09:29 am »
legos the long squares ones u use for the base, tin foil, styrafoam(sp) squishy foam LOL

You name it, i try it lol

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 11:11:59 am »
legos the long squares ones u use for the base, tin foil, styrafoam(sp) squishy foam LOL

You name it, i try it lol
You are so wierd but so totally on base with your dogs!..lol..That is really cool!...I'd never thought of it..Where do you get your ideas?