Author Topic: Things your Pup's afraid of?  (Read 6120 times)

BabsT

Re: Things your Pup's afraid of?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 11:17:07 am »
people that train in protection work...i try and do the same thing sthey do to build solid foundations

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 11:18:16 am »
Thanks Babs!...I am going to try thinking of introducing new things to my dogs! :)

BabsT

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 11:29:06 am »
Just make it fun...throw some pumpkins in the yard or BIG tree branches...huc k bottles filled a little bit with rocks...open umbrellas

if you seem to be having fun with it, they will too

I also throw treats in the yard and make them use their noses to find them...like  a handful of cookies broken up and just throw them real high in the air LOL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 11:36:01 am »
Just make it fun...throw some pumpkins in the yard or BIG tree branches...huc k bottles filled a little bit with rocks...open umbrellas

if you seem to be having fun with it, they will too

I also throw treats in the yard and make them use their noses to find them...like  a handful of cookies broken up and just throw them real high in the air LOL
I'm already doing some of that stuff...I open umbrellas close to them...Samson used to try & eat them...Now he hardly reacts at all except to shoot me a look like "is that all you've got"?...lol!...Pumpkins in the yard?...No problem!...This is my FAVORITE time of year...My yard is filled with pumpkins, masks nailed to trees, orange lights, scarecrows, & the like...I love Halloween the best because it is so much fun & you don't have to have family over for dinner or buy anyone presents! :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:54:04 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Roxy Poxy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 12:44:41 am »
Hula Hoops!  We bought Roxy a cool purple hula hoop last year, thinking we could teach her to jump through hoops.  HA Fat Chance!  We started by letting her sniff it on the ground... I don't think you can get a good whiff of anything if you don't get closer than 6 feet to it, but then again maybe Roxy can.  Then we held it up (the bottom of the hoop touching the floor) so Roxy could easily walk through it.  she walked around it.  Hmph, so far we aren't having anyluck.  So I tell my fiancee to get on his hands and knees and for him to crawl through the hoop, then I'll give him a "treat" and hopefully Roxy will follow.  She looked at him like he was crazy.  Ok, this entire time we have been filming. and it's been nothing but sweet words and and fun times... but no Roxy through the hoop.  It's funny to hear myself on the video, but I was getting a wee bit frustruated at this point.  We prop the hoop between the edge of the couch and some chairs.  If she wants to come into the living room with us, she has to go through this hoop; there is no other way around it.  Oh yeah, did I mention we have practically an entire bag of pig ears spread out on the floor (on the other side of the hoop, if she ever crosses over).  Well she starts to whine and whimper and cry and bark these pathetic little barks.  I am usually the first one to stop everything and go to console my little baby, but I had about had it with this circus! 

I say to Nick "Well, we can see that YOUR daughter isn't much of a risk taker, is she?"   Then I blurt out "What is her problem?!  It's NOT like I'm asking her to jump through a hoop of flames!"  The one liners get better from there!!  So, Nick and I are still on one side of the hoop and Roxy on the other.  We ask her if she wants to go for a walk.  She goes crazy and really wants to go.  We place the video camera on the table and focus it on the hoop.  We decide to hide from Roxy and say "Bye, we're going for a walk. Come Roxy"  we wait, but we can't see her (cause we are hiding by the door) then we open the door and close it so she thinks we have left.  She starts to bark and whiper abd whine.  It's funny because the camera catches her looking for ways to get around that darn hoop!  She attempts to crawl up and over the couch and it looks like she contemplates a way of getting underneath the diningroom chairs!  The look on her face when she thinks we have left for a walk without her is priceless!!  I guess we're mean, but it sure was funny!  She still isn't a fan of the hula hoop...allthou gh, I must say that it is a fabulous ab workout! 

I won't get started about Roxy's fears of the kiddie pool, our regular pool, the shower, candles that smell, cats and little dogs.  Sometimes when she gets up or turns around, she'll knock things over with that big butt of hers, and it scares the crap out of her! 

I don't know why I always have to have a long story.  I can never keep it to a one sentence post!  Sorry!

Steph and Roxy!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 12:49:52 am »
Spotakiss hates those noise makers you blow.He goes crazy.He also hates the smell of chewing tobacco.I try to tell my husband how bad it is for him and Spotakiss knows.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 01:01:22 am »
Lady and Grace hate gun shot sounds from the woods behind us. 
Grace hates the Swiffer and niether of them like the vaccuum. 
Grace...due to her habit of digging in the garbage...hate s when the trash can tips and rattles. 

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:50 am »
I wouldn't say that Sanity is scared anymore as much as cautious to an unhealthy extent.  Anything that he avoids I go out of my way to expose him to it, after which he's fine.  Well he's scared of ankle biter dogs, but who can blame him?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Blair

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 04:46:51 am »
Mr. Grey is afraid of everything...h opefully its just his age and not that he is a big sissy LOL

Icerotti

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 04:52:56 am »
Farley hates  mouse  traps. One got him at my dads on the nose. He would not go in the kitchen for 2 days.  :'(

Puck nothing really :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 05:07:45 am »
Merlin is deathly afraid fo the dog gate. He will not even be in the same room with it volentarily. Strider is terrified of rabbits. Cute little bunnies make him shake so hard it looks like a grande mal seizure. Raven is afraid of any loud noise, fire crackers, thunder or gunshots. But I think her hearing is diminishing, so she sleeps through more now.
Stella