Author Topic: Personality Plus  (Read 9731 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Personality Plus
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:07:25 pm »
Lately Bear has been letting his personality out in full force! We are trying to break him slowly of his "taking over the couch" habit, but it is not working as well as we would like it to. Here is the scenario: I sit on the middle cushion on the couch which leaves little room on either cushion to my sides. When he comes to the couch he looks at me, growls a little growl then pouts with his face on the cushion. He then will growl louder as if that will get my attention. Since that fails too, he will take his paw and slap the couch with it. (It really is quite funny!) Finally, he gave up with his antics, got onto the couch anyways and then had the nerve to look at me saying " Okay...you can move now Mom". I swear, he is such a character.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Personality Plus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:25:06 pm »
This sounds exactly like my St. Bernard, Seamus.  He doesn't even bother asking.  He wake up from a nap all groggy and step up onto the couch and slam his body down wherever he happens to put his paw.  He doesn't care what or who is underneath him.  It is so cute, I can't stand to break him of the habit.  i can never own nice furniture, but his company is more than worth it.  How old is Bear by the way?

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 05:31:54 pm »
Bear is 2 1/2 and the light of our lives! I couldn't have gotten a better baby than him! How old is Seamus?
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:35:16 am »
That is too funny! Maybe you guys should just get a "person" couch and let Bear have that one.  :D Although, he is quite a "person" himself!  ;D He is too cute!
Lately Bear has been letting his personality out in full force! We are trying to break him slowly of his "taking over the couch" habit, but it is not working as well as we would like it to. Here is the scenario: I sit on the middle cushion on the couch which leaves little room on either cushion to my sides. When he comes to the couch he looks at me, growls a little growl then pouts with his face on the cushion. He then will growl louder as if that will get my attention. Since that fails too, he will take his paw and slap the couch with it. (It really is quite funny!) Finally, he gave up with his antics, got onto the couch anyways and then had the nerve to look at me saying " Okay...you can move now Mom". I swear, he is such a character.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:29:47 pm »
Do you have the Judi Adler book called Water Work Water Play?  Its a Newfie Water Rescue Training manual. 

There's an article in there called "Control: how to get it."  It talks about exactly what you're describing.  I highly advise you to read it before the behavior snowballs.  A dog growling at a human to get what it wants shouldn't be tolerated. 

Jennie
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:37:57 pm »
Inregards to my saying that Bear "growls" for what he wants....it is actually more of a noise. He talks to us and has many different tones/pitches to get his point across. It is actually very endearing! He knows who the boss is and has passed several levels of obedience and is working on getting his CGC title.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 04:20:58 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 04:06:34 pm »
Inregards to my saying that Bear "growls" for what he wants....it is actually more of a noise. He talks to us and has many different tones/pitches to get his point across. He knows who the boss is and has passed several levels of obedience and is working on getting his CGC title.

jabear!  Our fellows talk all the time to.  We love it!! Dinner time, breakfast time, time to get up, time to go to bed, time to pet, time to play, they let us know when they are bored!!!
 I think it's all about what you are comfortable living with.  Personally, when our guys talk to us, and do the weird growly and low rooooreeerooo noise...they are being vocal.  In our family, we love vocal.  You can tell the difference between "I'm the boss" vocals, and "That's not fair, find your own couch" vocals!!!  Now if it came right down to do...that command that needs to be used...they'll listen. 

I really do believe, each Newfies human has different comfort zones.    Relationships vary!!

Newfs!!!  What a bunch of characters!!

Oh, by the way, the Adler books are wonderful!  I have all of them and just really enjoy them!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 07:52:42 pm »
When I took Samson in for a private evaluation before the start of his 2nd puppy class the trainer told me what I thought was growling was Samson talking to me & saying "I'm not so sure about thsi situation...Wh at do you think Mom"...When I started viewing it as such & reacting & answering him as such his "growling alleviated" tremendously!...Sometimes for no apparent reason other than "a dog can't have much fun around here"...lol...he will lay on the floor & grumble & complain in a funny kind of growl.

nickerbokker

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 09:37:11 pm »
LOl.......MY DOGS NEVER SHUT UP!  i thought cody was loud...if he wants on the bed, if he wants me to throw his ball, if he wants a treat....all these ifs happen all the time, and are accompanied with a growl/moan/talking thing.....

but angus, angus is a different story.....i play with my dogs about 6 hours a night, but ill tell ya, the second i stop, he literally lays infront of me and just moans constantly...l ike now, i am typing, and he is sitting next to me whining (its more like a howl!)!  the only thing he doesn't make a noise for is food and water...in that case, he just picks up the food bowl or the water bowl (and pours it everywhere) and brings them to me....everythi ng else, waking up - getting on the bed to laying next to me, he is making some sort of noise.  and his yawns, they are as loud as anything i have heard (but he still doesn't have a deep voice, so its a girly loud noise lol.

consider yourself lucky that bear groans to you and then takes one cushion.....i have 4 bleeding lines on my leg right now from where angus jumped on me and laid down...then cody came after him and he got up and tore off, and took off some skin in the process....the re is no such thing as sharing in my house or separate space....the dogs will be on top of me when they want, and i have to get over it.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
We have a few trash talkers too!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:19:34 am »
Hello Everyone!

We have a bunch of Newfie talkers too!  When one of them wants to start getting the puppy rumpus going, they start to what we call trash talk.  That gets the attention of the other siblings and then the circus begins!  It is usually the female that talks first to get the boys going and of course the puppy boy is always ready to join in for wild wrestling!   And yes, we knew that it would be the female talking the most because of course  the women usually like to start the conversations!   LOL!

Anita and the 3 goofy Newfies from NJ

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:21:23 am by pitas »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 06:20:55 am »
We have one talker(whining) and one barker.  I know all Pyrs bark, but Sugar Bear has only barked two times that I know if. It was at the vets when something hurt.  My vet said I had done the same thing with him as some do with kids, he whines I and get him what he wants.  Maybe? good thing he is such a sweet boy.  Most of the time he just wants me to rub his ears.  Dixie on the other hand is only 4 months old and will bark at air.  A lot of her barking is when she wants Sugar Bear to do something and he wants to sleep.

Lisa, Dixie, & Sugar Bear
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 02:11:11 pm »
Anyone have a howler besides the regular doggy noises? Last night this dog was howling and howling & we were scared fro a minute that our boy would jump in. Luckily he didn;t but has done so in the past with his friend Kobe (a husky). It was the loudest howl I have ever heard and made me laugh hysterically!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 02:19:52 pm »
My Dobe Ace howls at the alarm clock, the smoke alarm and the piano.  My Dobe Sasha will kind of yoodle in her crate when she knows that I am home and ready to let her out and she tries to dig to china in her crate she is trying that hard to get to me, she is very clingy and I have only had her for 7 weeks.  I just adore her and Ace.