Author Topic: Digging!!!!!!  (Read 7136 times)

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Digging!!!!!!
« on: October 05, 2005, 06:13:22 am »
Okay my 9 month old mastiff has suddenly dug a hole about a foot deep in the backyard grass area. She never digs in our yard. I don't know what to do but I was so upset when I came home that I had to just walk out of the backyard and walk around the block. I don't want to hit her or put the dirt in her mouth like people have told me recently. What else can I do?

BabsT

Re: Digging!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:17:39 am »
My dogs dig all the time...in the winter, they dig tunnels through the snow LOL  It looks like a maze from up above

What you can do is, put some chicken wire down o catch her in the act and give her a correction

is the dog digging to cool off?

Offline Jeska

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 06:22:55 am »
My dog used to dig all the time when she was a puppy. What we did to solve this was put her poo in the hole she dug. She wouldn't dig in that hole anymore and she'd dig another and we'd do the same. Eventually she gave up and hasn't dug a hole since. I don't remember how long it took for her to stop as this was a long time ago but it worked for us. If your dog is one that likes to eat poo then this probably wouldn't work.  :P

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 06:24:02 am »
I don't think so because it is about 85 around here and it has been 105 or higher this summer. She eats the dirt or something because it is all over her mouth and neck and then on her front legs. The chicken wire, do you put it under the dirt or over?

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 06:25:06 am »
Okay my 9 month old mastiff has suddenly dug a hole about a foot deep in the backyard grass area. She never digs in our yard. I don't know what to do but I was so upset when I came home that I had to just walk out of the backyard and walk around the block. I don't want to hit her or put the dirt in her mouth like people have told me recently. What else can I do?

You have a dog. Dogs dig. Especially when they are bored or hot or coming in season.

If it is absolutely imperitive that the dog not dig in the yard, then she should not be left there unattended.

You can help the digging situation sometimes by making an area that is particularly digging friendly. Something like a child's sandbox works great. Till up the earth under neath to soften it, put up the box area, and fill it with sand.

For a week or two, occasionally, out of her view, bury a couple of really tasty treats or interesting or favorite toys in the digging pit. And then take her out and let her find them. This can encourage dogs to dig in a certain area when they feel like digging.

Sometimes not.

Dogs dig, so if you must have her not to dig, keep her in unless you are there.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

BabsT

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 06:33:29 am »
I agree with Red...I have thick coated dogs and OMG do they get dirty but watching them race for the big dirt hole in the rain is funny...They are covered with mud...I just have lots of beach towels and figure the front yard can stay nice (which needs work LOL)

Zero;s back side with the dirt LOL

And devil dogs in the dirt

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 06:45:59 am »
I am not an idiot and was a little taken aback by the tone. I understand that dogs dig, I have had dogs but I was wondering if any one had an pointers.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 06:56:24 am »
I don't think anyone though you were an idiot.  We were just a little shocked that you were so mad over a dog doing what they do.  My husband had to go get a load of dirt with a backend loader to fill the holes Dixie Digs.  She like to make a grave for her toys after she kills them.  If it is an area with landscape light or something that will hurt her if she digs there I just put crushed red pepper on on the area.  Maybe Red's ideas of her own special place to dig would work.  I don't mean to be sappy but if I could have Rosie back (lost last summer) I would help her did holes the size of cars. So when they make you mad just remember that you only have them around 10 year and that is not  a long time.   I hope some of the tip that have been given will help out.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 07:08:04 am »
Sierra, please don't take offense to anything said here. No one was trying to offend you or condescend you, rather they were trying to give you solutions on how to make the inevitable behavior work for both of you. I know that you are new to BPO, and once you have been here for awhile you will see that everyone is very friendly and supportive and just wants to help you and your dog get the most out of things.
RIP former BPO

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 07:20:11 am »
I wasnt being mean or atleast it wasnt my attempt...I did however ask you the following and/or give suggestions in my first post

What you can do is, put some chicken wire down o catch her in the act and give her a correction

is the dog digging to cool off?

In my breed...diggin g is part of the territory...

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 07:51:11 am »
I am sorry that  I over reacted it was just that I am defensive I guess. I know that people are not trying to be mean, I guess I just took it that way.  It wasn't directed at you babs. Again my apologies

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 08:22:44 am »

It's ok, Sierra.

You can't see me smile or wink when I'm typing.

:D

Try the digging pit, or Babs chicken wire suggestion.

And if it's from the heat, you can devise other ways for the dog to cool off.

A wading pool. A strategically placed fan, etc.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

smohr

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 08:42:22 am »
I know I'll be considered the cruelest person here, but here goes...I had an Irish Wolfhound that would dig, mostly out of retaliation!  If we put him out to pee in the back yard instead of take him for a walk, he dug a swimming pool.  It happened every time he wanted to walk, cause he'd bring his leash in to us in his mouth.  If we didn't have time to walk we'd let him out back (a 50 x 150 back yard).  He had toys, a sand area, but he'd wait until we shut the door and off to the races he'd go and in different spots every time.

Sooo...I got a shock collar.  I know, I know.  You all hate me now.  I turned it up to maximum shock and everytime he dug, I'd shock him and yell "NO DIGGING!"  It took all of 4 days and he never dug another hole EVER! 

I never used the collar except for when any of the dogs dug.  Never on puppies!  It cured all of them and it took very little time. 

By the way, the poop in their holes didn't work on any of my dogs...
:)

BabsT

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 08:49:03 am »
You have to do what works for you but I honestly dont think that dogs 'get even'  it isnt in their genetic makeup...The dog was properly bored so it dug holes

Once you went in the house he had nothing to do and had pent up energy hence why he did it when he didnt go on walks...mental stimulation to him

smohr

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 09:11:39 am »
You didn't know Samson.  :)  He went on 2 long walks every day.  1 hour in the morning and 2 hours every evening unless we were having a blizzard.  Samson would chew up only my shoes if he was scolded or else walk over to the shoe rack by the door, sniff out my shoes and CRAP only on my shoes if I took something from him he wasn't supposed to have.  I DO think he was getting even.  Ha!   :D