Author Topic: Digging!!!!!!  (Read 7137 times)

BabsT

Re: Digging!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:36 am »
I just think you are putting human emotions to him...I like to too with my dogs but I know they are dogs not people.  It sounds  like he had some sort of anxiety and didnt know how to cope with it

All of his negative actions seemed to be when he was 'felt' punished or alone...attent ion is attenion negative or positive and he got your attention.  The dog prob gave you the leash to go for a walk, you said NO and put him outside alone...his way of coping with anxiety was  by digging

The dog ate your shoes or pooped on them when you were upset with him...he didnt know how to cope...He prop took you shoe because it smelled like you and he wanted to be with you but you were upset

I am not saying you did it intentionally but I like trying to figure out dog language LOL

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 04:59:02 pm »
We Human Beings stimulate ourselves by reading, persuing a hobby, playing sports, watching TV, (Posting on BPO), etc.
A dog has a nose, ears, and sight, and has needs that have to be met.
Taking your dog for a walk is like taking your skin-kids to Disneyland.
That stimulation is the most important thing to your dog, and it does'nt matter if it's for 2 hours or 15 minutes.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 11:04:57 pm »
Abbey LOVES to dig holes. She used to dig anywhere she could, which we didn't want. So we came to a compromise, she has her area in the yard that she is allowed to dig, and not anywhere she chooses. It works out great for all of us. To help her with learning where she could dig we first dug a little hole and put her ball in it (she loves to bury her ball and then dig it back up). Everytime she would attempt to dig in another spot in the yard we would correct her and place her ball in the 'good' holes. We wouldn't leave her unsupervised for even a moment while we were trying to teach her this. It didn't take her long to realize that she could dig uninterupted if she stayed in the right space! Good luck coming to an agreement with your dog!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:38 am »
Everytime we bring a new puppy/dog home we go thru the same digging issues. Kiya was pretty bad. I walk around the yard & at every hole "No Digging" & I go thru the dramatics & fill the hole up. They can dig to their hearts content under the deck. We (hubby) does try to keep the yard good. I haven't let him put poison down for grubs in a few years, now were over run with mole, voles or what ever they are. Tunnels galore. My little "hunter" Kiya likes to dig up the tunnels. I came home one night & the dogs were in the house, I asked Billy why & he said go look what your daughter dig. I went out & saw the tunnel dug up & he told me he heard a noise & she had something. So he called her to him, I asked what did she have "I don't know" I asked where is it? "It ran into your garden"! I kinda think he should have let her have it!
It has gotten much better, patience!! Baby's are baby's.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 05:21:39 am »
So I filled the hole and had Sierra with me to tell the hole how bad it was, she looked like she was upset. But we have not caught her in the act so the hole was very bad. Sierra I know was feeling guilty so when I was done repremanding the hole I was watering the other plants and had my  back towards her so she thought I was not watching. Sierra walked over to her toy basket and grabbed a bone and trotted over to the hole and dropped it on it. Like she was apologizing to the hole for getting it in trouble. I laughed so hard I had to go pee. Such a ham. The bone has remained in the same spot for two days now. I don't think the hole likes bones particularly.l ol :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 08:33:10 am »
That is soooooooo cute.  Can't they just melt your heart even when they are doing something you dont want them to do.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)