Author Topic: Statistical Information: Dogs that are most likely to attack  (Read 5252 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Statistical Information: Dogs that are most likely to attack
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:11:05 am »
Deadly canine attacks: profiling the dog most likely to maul... Most dogs are unlikely to become lethal weapons... You can stack the odds in your favor: if you train it (only 11% of dogs who received obedience training were among dogs involved in fatalities); if it's female (male dogs were 6.2 more times likely to fatally bite), if it's neutered (unneutered dogs were 2.6 times more likely to be involved in attacks), if you don't chain it or confine it in small spaces (confined dogs were three times more likely to fatally bite) and if you supervise it when around children. Over half of dog fatalities are children and about 12 fatalities occured per year over a 19 year period. Since many fatalities were from mixed breeds, estimates were made of the breeds involved: rottweiler mixes and pit bulls were involved in over half of the fatalities. [Vancouver Sun; January, 2003; link now defunct]
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

awo

Re: Statistical Information: Dogs that are most likely to attack
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
Can I ask you why you decided to post that article?  I know there was a previous post about someone training a rottie to be a guard dog, but if this is another addition to that post, it really doesn't make sense.  Please enlighten us other readers.

awo

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 09:49:42 am »
My question on the mixes is who is declaring the mix...(i.e.) pit bull mixes...how come it isnt the other way around...and most people cant properly identify a pit if it fell on them.

My friend has a lab/pit mix...nice dog...but if the dog bit...all you would hear about is the pit mix...not the lab mix

statistics can be what ever you want them to be

In my mind majority of dog bites come from negligent uneducated owners...who either bite off more than they can chew with their chosen breed of dog or the dog isnt properly trained or contained

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:10:42 am »
I'm with you babs.

Although some statistic studies categorize BOTH breeds of mixed breeds, so BOTH breeds get makrs against them, which makes no sense to me.  Two marks for one dog.  Hmmmm......... .something wrong with that picture.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 12:51:27 am »
Don't you just love those stats...  >:( ok, what kind of training did each dog receive before it bit? How was the dog cared for? What kind of shelter was provided? Feeding? Vets? Left alone alot? Indoors, crate, dog run, chained, fenced back yard? Was the dog provoked when he/she bit? Was the individual tresspassing? Was the dog commanded by the owner to bite? Dogs just don't bite without a reason, cars/Suv's don't kill without someone driving them, and guns just don't go off without someone fooling around or pulling the trigger. It's all about personal responsiblilty . Sadly, most people don't want to accept it these days. These stats are just another sad indicator.

Deena
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:52:04 am by Good Hope »

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 04:14:59 am »
I don't think the individual breed has anything to do with dog attacks.  I had a chow/blue tick mix that attacked me.  She was only a puppy, around 50 lbs. and I stepped into the backyard and she charged me.  It was completely unprovoked.  I came out from the patio door, didn't startle her, she saw it was me and still attacked.  So I think that a percentage of dog attacks may be due to a personality disorder with the dog.  I don't abuse my dogs.  I love my dogs.  I blamed myself for her behavior for a long time and my vet told me that some mixes just shouldn't be, because it can cause permanent behavior issues.  And it's not just rott, pit, doberman, etc.  It can happen with all sorts of breed combinations.   And I think the rest of dog attacks occur because of owner handling, or born aggression issues.  This is just my opinion though. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!