Author Topic: Bad Betti Behaviors Receding  (Read 3326 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Bad Betti Behaviors Receding
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:38:06 pm »
Many of the naughty behaviors Betti displayed are receding. She doesn't jump up much anymore...sinc e we began grasping her front paws and asking her to dance. She has many toys that, over time, I've tried to show her as a deterrant to chewing other things. She went from stealing things from my bf...like his hat...and taking it to the back room to chew it up...to merely collecting little piles of things in the back room...compili ng them amidst her toys and NOT chewing them up. So, I can say the destructive chewing has come to a near halt. Sometimes she gets some junk mail or steals the bf's lunch off the cutting board in the morning because he makes the mistake of leaving the room once in a while.

She is coming when called now...which was a big problem since she didn't trust people much. She's been here for about a year now...with me and adjusted to many new changes, including the new boyfriend. She used to pound on the door all night and pace and chew things after he started spending the night. Night after night he could not sleep and said it could not go on like that, but eventually she warmed up and is much more friendly since new people have come into the scene.

It is true that it just takes time and patience. Now she is the cuddliest, sweetest little thing. Not that she's not always been sweet, but she has never growled at anyone once or made any aggressive moves...not even subtly in her posture. She is happy and healthy and I am so glad I took the chance to introduce her into my home as scared and unhealthy as she was in September of 2004. She's come a long way. All they ever want is a home with a warm, soft couch to lay on and a family (or person) to love them.

One very important aspect of Betti's success is the fact that I make a lot of nonthreatening eye contact with her...began using the click-treat method. She began to look at me and trust me and I also talked to her all the time in a kind and conversational manner...as if she were another person and could understand me...which I think she can.

There is only one person she does not like and she play bows and barks and tries to nip his butt (playfully), but he does not talk to her or treat her with compassion. He makes faces at her and speaks harshly.

So kindness and personability matter utmost. I loathe the philosophy that "it's just a dog". There's no such thing as "just a dog".
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Betti Behaviors Receding
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:10:02 pm »
Thats so great!!  I'm glad that she is getting better.  Sounds like she has come a far way.   

Any secrets that you'd like to share about the chewing? Or did getting toys help?  Sophie has decided to start destroying things that are not hers when we're not home.  but she will not play with toys without us, even a stuffed kong....
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 11:53:00 pm »
That's wonderful!!!
Hurrah for you for taking in a dog that needed someone so very much.
It is wonderful that you were able to give her the time and love that she needed to settle in and trust.
Congrats on your wonderful pupper!  A pupper that's wonderful because of YOU!

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:21:37 pm »
It's so nice to see that al of your hard work with Betti is paying off Moon! Good job!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:08:14 pm »
Thats so great!!  I'm glad that she is getting better.  Sounds like she has come a far way.   

Any secrets that you'd like to share about the chewing? Or did getting toys help?  Sophie has decided to start destroying things that are not hers when we're not home.  but she will not play with toys without us, even a stuffed kong....

I really think it depends on the dog. If Sophie has anxiety issues there may be a number of solutions. I think Betti also has anxiety issues. She chews things when there is something going on in the household - like a new person living here. She used to do it all the time. I just kept buying toys...many different kinds and making it exciting every time there were new ones. She likes the soft kind...stuffed toys with squeekers. Greta just demolishes them right away, but Betti likes to "fuzz bite" and carries them around without tearing them up. There may be something that works for Sophie. Betti is not food motivated so no treats in the world will stop her anxiety. She has to experience things and see that they are not dangerous.

Have you looked online to do research about separation anxiety? Maybe there is something out there, however small and seemingly unimportant, that may be the key for her. Would she like a walk right before you leave, or maybe a walk when you come home, so she has that to look forward to and maybe your trips will be a positive experience for her since she has something connected to your leaving that is positive? Just an idea.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:08:49 pm »
Thank you everyone. Betti is a sweet girl.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:10:20 pm »
Patience is right.  it does pay off! :) 
So I'm going to borrow your "Dance" trick to get my girls to stop jumpping...we call it "give me a hug" and they love it.