BPO Food Forum > Food Discussion & Information

B.A.R.F. diet

(1/5) > >>

mamadog:
I don't think I've posted this question here yet....if I have please forgive me!

My question is about the BARF diet (bones and raw food).  Does anyone here have information about this diet? Por's con's to feeding it or not? I have heard from some people who use it, that say it's better for your dogs, but they haven't said why, or how it's better.  And I haven't heard from anyone against the diet say why it's bad for dogs. My breeder is against it and it would void Finns health contract if we do it. I don't know that I would have the stomach to feed my dogs raw meat anyway.... but in the spirit of being informed and just out of curiosity I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.... good and bad!
Thanks,

Vicki

Carolyn:
Hi. A lot of the Shiloh Shepard people are big into the BARF diet. I love my guys with all my heart but with all the animals I have it is way too complicated. I can go back & try to find this link I once read that had a lot of info.
Carolyn

kildeskennel:
BARF philosophy is based on the argument that since dogs and cats are evolved from wild animals such as wolves and lions, we should feed our pets a similar diet.
Many veterinarians discourage BARF diets because they claim to have seen an increase in pancreas, stomach and intestinal injuries; kidney, heart and brain illnesses and bacterial parasites in animals on long-term BARF diets; and that many pets show no sign of sickness until a few days before death.

I was feeding Beauty half raw and half kibble for a little while, but after all the extra research I read I would not do it now.  It is a matter of opinion, and there are many web sites out there, but the majority of info I have states that by feeding the BARF diet your dog is more susecptible to death either from splinters of bones piercing the intestional tract, or serious internal infections.  The types of infections mentioned above come on very fast and are quick to kill.  You really have to be nutrition savvy to adequately design a diet of raw foods for your pet.  It is very time consuming and I am not so sure altogether healthy.  I feed a quality dog food and add wet food when Beauty is feeling "picky"  I don't think a little raw here and there is going to hurt anything, but fuul time I think could be a problem based on the research I have read.  This is agood site with info if you are curious.  Good Luck!  http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feeding_a_raw_diet_htm.htm

kildeskennel:
www.greatdanel ady.com

Carolyn:
That about wraps it up. Mixing the 2 diets Iv'e been told is very bad. I did find barfworld.com on one of the disccussions. My Kiya is a burper, we tried to determine if her diet was a cause. I used Pro-plan for years but now I've switched to Nutro. The money they charge for these "better quality" foods you would think you shouldn't have to wonder about ingredients.
Carolyn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version