Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 5818 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
I need some help
« on: October 05, 2005, 12:21:10 pm »
Hi All,

You've all been great when I've asked questions before so I have another. I have a very high energy Austrailian shep mix. I just brought him home from being fixed today, he's 5 months old. when he got home he a little bit of the runs so I tryed to give him Pepto Bismal (sp) I held him by his collar and he got upset growled and tryed to bite me. he has always had a problem being restrained, my friend works at the vets and she told me when they tryed to give him his shot before his surgery he fought like they were trying to kill him. other than that he is a really good loving dog.  I don't want a biteing dog, any thoughts on how to help him with his restraint problem.. I mean even in the car, I have him in a seatbelt, he SCREAMS the whole ride he really HATES being restrained.  He needs to behave when at the vets if they have to give him meds or whatever. and I'm concerned that he might have other problems and maybe this is just a symptom? At least that what one person told me. I love my little Kobi, I don't want to give up o him.  Just feeling depressed tonight, and concerned.  Thanks for ANY help and ideas on how to help him.

Aimee

Anakalia

Re: I need some help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 12:36:37 pm »
Hi there!!
I'm not a vet but did work at a vet clinic for awhile.  Sometimes a dog may act funny the first day or two after coming home after anesthesia.  Just be patient and keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow.  If he's still acting like this after that take him into the vet.  You could also call the vet first thing in the morning just in case.  It'll put your mind at ease too.

Andi

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 10:00:53 pm »
Well, I am not sure how to help the restraining problem, but with my Aussie we used a muzzle whenever he was in a situation that could have been dangerous. I'm sure someone on here has an answer for you! Good luck!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 10:12:17 am »
With aussies it's a little difficult.  They are high energy and also extremely smart.  They are supposed to be independent thinkers and unfortunately a lot of them display the trait that you are talking about-biting when they dont' want to do something.  My old aussie/BC mix (that was a fun dog to deal with-way high energy and talk about attitude) was the same way.  I never could get her to not be upset with being restrained-she also bit me a number of times.  We just used a muzzle when things needed to be done and accepted that we couldn't change her.  Although she liked to ride in the car, but we stopped restraining her.  She would just lay down in the back and or look out the window.   We did treat her with the "Nothing in life is Free" routine, always asking for a command or a series of them before petting, food, treats, you name it.  She was always VERY obedient though, just hated to be restrained.... one thing she also hated was to be on a leash...would not walk and would fight like I was killing her and then just hunker down on the ground.  I had her as a puppy and know that nothing was ever done to her so it was just her telling me she didn't like it.  I didn't worry about it though after a while because it terrified her so much and she was obedient and would listen no matter where we went...everyon e thought it was neat the way she stuck right by me and laid down when I stopped....I miss her...I hope you can teach your pup that it's ok to be restrained....
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 10:55:09 am »
My best show dog EVER and an absolute delight as an adult was absolutely IMPOSSIBLE as a puppy  She would absolutely pitch a fit if you tried to pick her up or restrain her in any way.  The thought to euthanize her did enter my mind  For some reason at 6 months she decided that she would allow us to hold her and maybe walk on a leash IF we were going where she wanted to go.  As an adult she is absolutely wonderful although there is still not a crate that can hold her.  We call her the BADNESS and also the QUEEN of all QUEENS  Don't know how we broke her of it but it did take a lot of patience  - you have to be careful not to overpower them at this age and respect their right for independance.  At the same time you can't let them win any battles either.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 01:18:54 pm »
Just a side note. I was reminded after reading the previos posts that my Aussie HATED to be left alone in the car. I cannot tell you how many seatbelts we had to replace because he nawed through them! Not only as a puppy but up until he was 13 years old! He also liked luggage straps if he was angry or bored. Just be careful, some seatbelts are hard to replace! But, in all, he was the best dog ever. My avatar is actually a picture of him. He was loyal, obedient, intelligent and very protecting. He bit strangers when he was younger, or anyone who touched him when he didn't want to be touched, but he honestly never bit me, not sure why. Your puppy will grow into an amazing dog, it's just gonna take a lot of patience, love and some treats might help  ;)
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 01:31:01 pm »
I have a similar problem right now with a dog I found. He is not going through our Humane Society foster program because they are being butt heads. He is a corgi mix, and is a great little dog, but bites if you go to put on collar or leash on him. I was going to pay to have him neutered and find him a home on my own. I found a great foster home for him who is very dog savvy and understands the biting problem and is trying to work with him, but now I'm getting nervous about getting in trouble if I adopt him out, even telling someone about his issue, then having them or - god forbid - a child get bit because of it.

Mostly, he just "mouths", but he has broken the skin a couple of times. I suggested she try showing him the leash/collar, give him a treat...move teh collar/leash closer, give him a treat, etc.

right now, he has a harness on with the leash (that was a chore and a half getting those on) and we are leaving it on for him to get used to it and having it on during his comfort times - petting, sleeping, eating, etc.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:04:31 pm »
We have the same problem with our aussie.  We worked on restraining her by pinning her when she gave us a hard time but she will still pitch a fit if we try to do anything while she's restrained.  One major thing that helps is that you stay calm, assertive and be the alpha.  Also exercise him to the point of exhaustion before you try to work on his issues, so hopefully he can have a positive experience and get over his problems.  And if your afraid of being bitten muzzle him in situations he gets nippy.  Also exercise in general would be good for his disposition.

I hope this helps some.  Good luck and I hope it works. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties