Author Topic: My dane needs a new home  (Read 9123 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: My dane needs a new home
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 11:04:29 pm »
Raven will try to lick her face and make friends and Lily just won't have it.  Raven wags her tail at Lily and then she backs up when Lily goes charging at her.  Raven's never been mean to any dog.  She has all sorts of doggie friends and doggie play dates.  That's why I feel Lily needs to be the only dog.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 11:07:43 pm »
I have been crating Lily.  I established myself as the pack leader and have been working with both dogs with where their place is in the house.  Lily will back down from me.  But constantly keeping the peace is a tiring job. :) 

BabsT

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 11:08:56 pm »
So your dog is doing appropiate behavior and the dane still isnt having it...My only point is you need to do something before she is rehomed for the sake of everyone...

I would keep her leashed and tied to me pretty much...or crated...some dogs dont work with positive reinforcement and need a hard firm handler

My girl misha only a pup and getting challenges me (which i expected) but i welcomed the challenge.  right now she is banished to her crate with no attention what so ever neg or positive...i ask like she doesnt exist...i leash her for the bathroom when she is done, back in the crate no acknowledgemen t what so ever, i wont even look at her.  I will try again tomorrow

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 11:13:10 pm »
I found early on that Lily needed a strong handler.  I'm working on it.  I will also only put her in a home with an experienced dane owner.  I'll try the ignoring her part.  I have a soft heart though. :-\

BabsT

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:39 pm »
No soft hearts... i guarantee lilly knows that...dont even make eye contact with her....

This is what I would do....

let her out of crate in morning to go the bathroom on leash.  Just grab her collar put the leash on not talking or petting or eye contact..once you know she is finished eliminateing, back in crate no acknowledgemen t what so ever

you can even hold her food from her if you want to (i held breakfast this morning, if she wasnt a pup  I would hold her dinner too)

then go on with your monring...

when you are ready to work with her, let her out of her crate and ingnore her...when she looks for attention, ignore her...when you ar ready, call her over, if she comes make her do a sit when she listens small treat small praise and then ignore again.  If she doesnt come to you when you call her, back in crate no attention.  WHen you tell her that you are ready for attention call her over repeat with treat and small praise if she doesnt, in the crate

when your other dog is in the same room or around, i would keep her leashed with you on the other end, if she gets rather nasty to your dog correction, if the dog doesnt listen, back in crate

The key here is ignoring...no emotion what so ever...you can not be angry or upset...you need to be relaxed, condifent and sure of yourself...onl y do this when you feel that way otherwise keep her in her crate...

this is your house she needs to follow your rules, not hers...

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 11:36:16 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice.  I'm going to try your suggestions.  I'll let you know my progress.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 11:43:19 pm »
I hope that everything works out for you
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 11:44:14 pm »
I'm sorry you're having all these problems with Lily.  I wanted to let you know that I'm in Maryland also.  I work in Towson and live in Westminster so if you need anything or help just let me know.  I have a female dog thats pretty hard headed too so I wouldn't be able to take her .  If you need another female dog to put lily in her place i'll bring mine on over  ;)   heheh  just kidding!   But anyways let me know if you need anything even if its just a play date.  I also have a reference to a great trainer of 'problem' dogs.   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:45:06 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

BabsT

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 11:45:45 pm »
I KNOW you can do this...makes you a stronger character in the end...Zero and Misha have improved my own confidence because you cannot be a weak alpha

It is hard ignoring my cute fuzzball but I know what can happen if i dont...Lilly may never 'like' other dogs but she will learn to tolerate yours while you are looking for a home

Has she been aggressive with you?

DOgs love structure and schedule and respond best to it...give an inch, they will take a mile...she has no freedom until she earns it, trust me in a day or so, a light will switch on in her head in regards to respecting you and with respecting you she needs to tolerate your other dog...You can also do this with your other day (not that she is giving you any problems) i just mean the structure and schedule...she doesnt need to be banished LOL

She seems to think she is queen bee

And when you are talking to possible new owner perspectives, you can tell them what you have been doing with her and how you are getting results

ALso, keep all toys and bones off the ground, you are now in charge of playtime and when they can play

and while you are working with the dane, either keep raven crated or outside  so no one gets hurt until you have more trust but still keep her leashed...i use prong collars on both my dogs when training and a correction is needed.  zero needed it with the pup first moved on day one

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 11:46:26 pm »
sounds great Rachel.  Let me know the name of that trainer.  PM me.  I live about 45 min. north of you so a play date is a good possibility. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:48:14 pm »
I had the very same issues when I tried to rescue Nellie. They were only together one day but Sugar Bear was a mess. He would hide under the table and run is she even looked at him.  I was so lucky that my brother and his family wanted a third dog.  Nellie is now very happy in her new home. After that I knew that the only way it would work for Sugar Bear was for me to get a puppy.  Good luck!  You are doing the very best you can for both fur-babies.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 11:50:49 pm »
I too use prong collars when training. 

Lily has never been agressive with me or any other member of my human family.  Just Raven.  Raven has known who's boss since day one.  I've never had any trouble with her.

I've taken away all toys and bones since day one.  I feed them seperately.  Lily only gets fed after Raven.  Is that the right thing to do?

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 11:52:13 pm »
I agree Dixie.  I think the only thing for me to do in the future is get a puppy.  Their are still plenty of those to rescue too.

BabsT

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 11:56:42 pm »
Both my dogs eat in crates at the same time...my son Noah does the feedings...zer o runs in his crate and noah gives his food first and then Misa. crate doors closed and reopened after both are done

My problem is that misha growled at me this morning when I went into her crate while she was eating like I always do...Noah has been doing so much work with her, she thinks he is boss and not me LOL

she is young 18wk but she is still an alpha dog and not small at 53lbs LOL

You should prob get a pup. my advice is just for happier living for you until you find a proper home for her

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 11:59:33 pm »
I thank you so much for your much wanted advice babs.  I was just talking to my husband about your suggestions and he agrees that it would be in the best interest of Lily to work with her before she finds a new home.  Thank you again.