Author Topic: How to manage 5 month separation  (Read 5668 times)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
How to manage 5 month separation
« on: October 06, 2005, 01:14:56 am »
Hi there,

i have a dilemna, and i would appreciate hearing what you good people think.

Problem is this - i live in Miami and might need to relocate permanently to UK (I am British).

Trouble is, Day-z can't fly into the UK without going into quarantine until March 2006.

Which do you think is best for her:

1. Put her into doggy day care / boarding here for that time - she loves it there and they are really good with her.

2. Have someone housesit her in the house in Miami until March - the person who would do this is very good with Day-z but works fulltime and is not very strong.  But, she already lives in the house and they both love each other- existing housemate.

3. 2 + someone to come in and walk her during the day.

4. Fly her to UK and put her into quarantine and visit.

I have been working from home until now and she has had me around her most of the day, how much do you think it will hit her me being away and is it really not possible to otherwise entertain her - do you think there is anything i can do to make this easier for her ?

Please let me know what you think.  I will not give her up, she is the best.

If she is in the US, i will come and visit her as much as i can

Thanks

Jill

BabsT

Re: How to manage 5 month separation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:20:58 am »
The dog is kind of at a critical age in regards to mental development and quarantine would not be the best place for her

doesnt the dog have to go into quarantine regardless of when she goes to the UK?

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:33:02 am »
No, they have changed the rules and it is 6 months from a clear rabies test.  She was tested last week.

If she is really going to be harmed by this then i will rethink.

Thanks

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 01:34:36 am »
We had a friend who took his  Great Dane to England with him and visited every day that he could for as long has he could...and they both did fine.  As I understand it though, that requirement is being questioned because of the problems it's causing with the EU.  Check on it...maybe it will change soon if it hasn't already.  Britain, as far as I know, is the only EU country that requires that quarantine.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 01:36:54 am »
There is now a PET passport scheme, but i can't get Day-z into UK until March 2006 without her having to do 6 months (well 6 months - time from test).

It is a great job offer, but i will miss her so much that i might turn it down.

BabsT

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:37:59 am »
Are you able to visit the dog everday?  It is somthing that I would researchWas the great dane full grown or still a pup.  A pup is a big difference in my eyes

I know that Hawaii has very strict laws about bringing dogs in

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:44:29 am »
How well do you think she will cope with not seeing me for say a month at a time ?

I just think quarantine will be too miserable for her.

How about the option of her staying in her house, but without me there ?

Jill

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:45:31 am »
i've heard about this!!! my friend just brought a dachschund into US from Czech... and the dog's in quarantee?? cuz he didn't hv a doggy passport.. is this for REAL?  ::)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:48:58 am »
AFAIK there is no quarantine into the US.

There is no rabies in the UK, so in order to keep it out they have a 6 month rule.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:50:08 am by dufus »

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:51:50 am »
Are you coming back into the states at all?  Honestly, it depends on you and what you are willing to do...but having a dog in another country in quarantine and then visiting once a month wont be a good idea for a dog especially a puppy

2. Have someone housesit her in the house in Miami until March - the person who would do this is very good with Day-z but works fulltime and is not very strong.  But, she already lives in the house and they both love each other- existing housemate.

sounds like your best option..Teach your room mate how to handle her better..the dog isnt distrupted as much as the other options are

so are you going to fly the dog over to you in march?  It is a tough call...the dog is young and will most likely just form a deeper bond with your room-mate  she may in turn not want to send her to you either

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 02:02:29 am »
Thanks for that.

Room mate is also British, so would relocate too i guess - we came over here based on my UK job moving me over and it was supposed to be a great experience etc, etc

However has just proven to be very expensive, and my boss sold the company so left me without a job and in the US with a house i bought.....

As part of my accepting the job, i may say that i have to be able to travel to the USA.

I'll probably miss her much more than she will miss me.

The timing sucks

Ah well

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 02:03:44 am »
I have found that dogs are very adaptable and, while she may learn some different behaviors if you leave her with a roommate for 6 mos., she will most likely remember you and, within a few months, will adapt to your schedule and expectations.

It's definitely a better environment for her to be in a home with daily love and care, and while it will be difficult to be separated from her you know it's not permanent and you will be reunited soon. Leave her with a shirt or blanket that has your scent on it. Keep it in her crate or where she sleeps. Send new ones each month if you have to. Maybe this will help her remember you and relate your smell with comfort and home when she is flown to join you in the UK.

Don't give up an excellent opportunity when there is a solution. If you had to give her up completely for the job it would be a different story, but since she CAN eventually join you (and you can still access BPO in the UK for support from us!) GO FOR IT!!

Good Luck!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 02:06:18 am »
Thanks for your input.

The job I am taking is a senior IT role, and we are at the negotiating stage.  So I can probably take 1 week unpaid leave every month / 2 months and come and see her.

I had a miserable dream about this last night, it is really getting to me.....

Jill

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 02:10:10 am »
I agree with Jeanne's very positive outlook on the situation. I'd say that she will be best off with the roommate in her own home. And it is brilliant to allow her to sleep with some of your clothing. Not that I'm any sort of expert, mind you, but I believe that it sounds like your best option.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 02:15:29 am »
If i can find anyway for this not to happen then i will do it.

If i stay here a month longer, then come back for a while at Christmas etc,etc then it might just work.

Maybe the impossible will happen and some of the jobs i have applied for here with make a decision at last.

thanks